The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

I downloaded, everything looks great. I started playing as Beta Israel, (Regent) and the Adel destroyed the Ethiopians about 6 turns into the game. Is this supposed to happen? Are they in a locked war or something? I was under the impression that as Beta Israel I was going to be involved in a long guerrilla war with Ethiopia and I would have to kill some special units to amass a lot of victory points but I guess that's not going to happen.

I was playing as Kanem Boru (Regent) and ran into a "problem." Shouldn't units produced by wonders have no upkeep cost? I built the wonder that produces a ? Warrior (looks like a zulu warrior) every 4 turns, and pretty soon I had 5 of my 7 cities producing wealth and I had my science set to 0% and I was still losing money. Without being able to build roads, it is very hard to get money. This makes any wonder that produces units requiring upkeep very unattractive.

This is true, but that is a powerful Wonder nevertheless. I think having no upkeep makes it too powerful. However, I've never had any problems with this Wonder eating up all my cash, so it's definitely possible to use it to your advantage as it is. The key thing is to make sure you have as many cities as possible. Don't forget that under Nomadic Federation you get greater unit support from smaller towns. Also, if you're planning on having lots of units, Jihadist State gives you great unit support.

Nice this si one of my favorite scenario's will be downloading.

I also have serious deficit problems as Kanem-Bornu even though my empire is huge. And I'm a long way from improvements so I'm not sure what to do I'm starting to lose improvements and such.

hi Plontinus,
i was able to go for a small ethiopia game last evening, and did pretty well ;)

but... i got a few minor questions :)

in my redone Desert Biq, i changed some of the city names, so in most cases the ai will build the right named city in roughly the right spot ( like songhai building timbuktu (wich historically was captured by mali later on), so almost all cityname lists have been changed a little for more historic accuracy.
- don`t iknow if you left it out on purpouse or just forgot to check, so i just wanted to ask :)

to get the ai settle more correctly i had "settling on mountains" disabled and placed LM hills as ethiopian highlands (with all stats set like they were mountains), this prevents the ai to settle in "unuseful" spots across the map and in some cases, like with the nomadic civs, directs their settlements upon useful resources.
- you might have a reason for not changing this, but in my testgames it went pretty well and could be useful so i just wanted to point it out.

since you replaced the quiddai starting location (into todays sudan) they tend to settle a bit unnice in my opinion, going right into the area that the chollo should occupy. maybe placing them back to their historic bounds in the east Tschad region would keep them more mingeled along the kanem borenu territory?

I am making sure distribution of your fine work, this qualty production with pro grade pedia complete, reaches the cold Northern frontier of Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Thanks be to you Good sir

[CivChris] I didn't realise you'd changed the city list names as well - I think I imported the map to my own ruleset, because I'd already made many changes, so your city lists wouldn't have been imported. So it wasn't a conscious decision. That is a bit annoying. I did deliberately move Ouaddai slightly though, because I felt that things were getting a bit cramped in the centre and I wanted them to go a bit east to open things up. So that was a gameplay decision. In fact most of the points where I did it differently from you were for gameplay reasons; I just found that the game played better like this, and I generally preferred to go with that approach rather than the more strictly historically realistic one where a choice had to be made.

Hi, had a crash playing the makurians. File not found. art\units\assassin\assassin.ini
Any help? Love your scenario btw

Wow, the Ethiopians are hard. I played 4 games as Ethiopia (Regent - and I play normal C3C on Monarch) and got killed every time. My longest game was like 11 minutes! Even if the Beta-Israelites die the first turn, I still can't stay alive. Am I just getting the raw end of the RNG or is there a strategy I'm missing?

Also I tried a few times to play as Ghana, but that got me nowhere. They have no way to get an offensive unit, since they can't get archers; and even when I know where the iron is, I can't settle there before the Mali or Songhai. Same problem with horses. So basically they have to try to fight a war with spearmen, and it takes a lot of spearmen to take a city.

I love this scenario by the way.

The Ethiopians are far easier now than they were before. And I won with them before as well. I stacked those spearmen and archer things and wiped out Falshah or Israel or whatever you want to call it in the first few turns. Then I sent those stacks into the Sultantate's territory and pillaged its roads and resources, which pretty much crippled it and I then proceeded to overrun their cities and wiped them out too. So at that point I had secured the entire Horn for myself. Its really not too difficult to take them out once you've weathered their initial offensive.

Plotinus, thanks for the scenario update! I just downloaded it today.

I had the same error Emerentius report a couple of posts ago. Playing as Beta Israel, I made a beeline for the Assasination tech because the stats of that unit looked so appealing. When I got the tech, I set a city to build it & double-clicked on that city to see it's city screen when I got a crash-to-desktop because the Assassin file is missing.

I'll go ahead & finish the game without the Assassin. I've eliminated Ethiopia & am about to assault the Bejan's last city in 1344. Makuria was eliminated by the Ayyubids. Adal razed one Ethiopian city before I could take it so I just built another city on the same spot.

The Ayyubids are my only real rival at this point. Their territory & population are over twice mine, but I am slightly ahead of them in Victory Points & Culture. I couldn't beat them in a fight...yet...

EDIT:

I can't continue the game due to the missing Assassin file. I finished off the Bejans & built up my forces a bit before attacking Adal. I took two cities from Adal. Upon taking a 3rd, the city's production automatically goes to Assassin so I get crashed to desktop.

In other news, Kanem-Bornu attacked the Ayyubids. Alwah allied with the Ayyubids & Kanem-Bornu is now being chewed up by the two.

That Assassin thing is very annoying, and rather strange because (a) I didn't fiddle with that, and (b) it should be part of the Conquests files anyway. I shall check it out and post a patch as soon as I can. Please bear with me though, as I have slightly intermittent Internet access right at the moment, and also rather a lot of real-life stuff going on over the next two days.

[Nwoll] Ghana are the hardest of the Sahel civilisations. But none of them is very good for offensive warfare. It's better to try to grab as much land as you can via peaceful means, build up your defences, and go for the camel caravans.

I've now fixed the Assassin problem. There's a patch attached to this post. Just put this new PediaIcons file into Scenarios/Desert/Text, allowing it to overwrite the old one. If you're in the middle of a game you might be able to do this without restarting (although I'm not sure!).

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    133.9 KB · Views: 198
hey guys can help me
i dont see the download link.. if could help would be great

Top Bottom