The "Fall Patch"

I installed the new version of Civ5 on my iMac yesterday, and single player version of the game works great. However, tonight I tried to start a multiplayer game and Civ5 just crashes every time I hit the "internet" button (after three times in a row I gave up). I was going to play a friend running a MBP Retina, and he is having the same problem, so I know it's not just my computer. Seems to be related to the update. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?

It happens on my desktop, not my MacBook Pro. 10.8.2 on both.

Yeah, my MBP 15" Retina is still having problems on the highest resolution (HiDPI) setting. Text still appears jagged and when you change resolutions little changes...

I haven't got the patch and I haven't got this steam you all mention.
I got my copy from the App Store on Mac and its not even updated the patch on there. What do I do to get it?

And it isn't isn't up.

Anyone who purchased the game through the app store got an update yet?

I suspect the problem is that the updated version has to go through Apple's approval process before it gets onto the App Store. I don't think there are many substantial differences between the two versions otherwise.

However, tonight I tried to start a multiplayer game and Civ5 just crashes every time I hit the "internet" button

Ouch, me too. Looks like a null pointer:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Edit I tried it again and it worked this time, I got a list of about 15 online games to join. Maybe sometimes the server responses causes the client to crash?

Has anyone else notice this? The bonus for Great Generals is shown as "0%"

(It does correctly apply the bonus, though.)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-13 at 10.54.42 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-13 at 10.54.42 AM.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 231
The patch is working fine for me on my MBPR, although it does seem to be a little slower. I'm running 2880x1440 resolution with the recommended settings. I do notice that my temperatures don't seem to be going as high as they did previously so perhaps there is some throttling happening, which might explain the slight decrease in speed. It certainly looks very nice though.

I haven't been able to reproduce the internet multiplayer crash in our QA. Is it a persistent problem, or does it seem random?

It's definitely random. Happened twice to me Saturday, tried to reproduce it today (tried three times) and I couldn't.

I haven't been able to reproduce the internet multiplayer crash in our QA. Is it a persistent problem, or does it seem random?

It happens more often than not. However, today, after two tries, I was able to get past the "internet" button and see a list of active games. I clicked "host private game" and loaded a saved game. That went fine. Then, when I tried to invite my friend to the game (who I was shown on Steam, and who I was on the phone with so I know he was ready), nothing happened. Basically, clicking the invite button did nothing. I also tried tab-option to bring up the Steam chat window and that didn't work. When I exited back to the main room there was no longer a list of active games (even if I unchecked "host private game".

I haven't been able to reproduce the Internet problem and I'm kicking myself that I didn't save the crash report; it was quite detailed and included a Lua stack trace that I'm guessing was the source of the null pointer exception. It feels to me like maybe the code doesn't handle the server response correctly in all cases, maybe if the server itself is broken.

I haven't been able to reproduce the Internet problem and I'm kicking myself that I didn't save the crash report; it was quite detailed and included a Lua stack trace that I'm guessing was the source of the null pointer exception. It feels to me like maybe the code doesn't handle the server response correctly in all cases, maybe if the server itself is broken.

I have the full crash report from when it happened to me. I sent it to Aspyr with a description of the problem. I don't want to paste it here because it is extremely long. Is there some part of it that would be helpful?

My iMac updated a few days ago, although I didn't realise it until I noticed the changes in the AI turns notification, and that I had the Grand Temple as a National Wonder.

Coolio... ;):D

Had the same problem with the game crashing after pressing the Internet button. The game crashed, Steam did some update after this. I closed steam and restarted and was able to play a game successfully with a PC user. Thank the gods.

is the Mac version now updated like the PC version on steam? I just didnt see my game download any patch or is this patch yet to drop? I just dont want to start a new before getting the AI to try to get a better navy now :p

Yes, the Steam version should update automatically. It is a small patch, so you may not have noticed it happen. You can check the version number on the main menu screen. It should say 1.0.1.21

A question.

I thought the Fall Patch was supposed to fix the Tile Yeilds bug, where late in the game, some tiles would show the yields of other tiles.

Well, this doesn't seem to have been fixed. Still happening in my latest game.

Cheers.

Well, Great Admirals now don't affect combat either. If you check the combat box when you are about to use a naval unit in battle, you'll see that the the "Near Great Admiral" percentage is 0.

Top Bottom