1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Fall from Heaven

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Apr 17, 2010.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Amen to that. I found (growing up as a nerd) that the label typically was used to identify those folks who didn't give a damn what labels were placed on them. They had fun doing whatever they enjoyed. As such, most thusly labeled would have been happy to be labeled as such (except of course for the fact that they don't care about what others think, as stated)

2. Jenaelha

Jenaelha fields of Elanor

Aww man... is that true?!? There goes my hopes of snagging one of those really snooty hot chicks. Now I'll never be happy. It's all ruined.

By the way, when is that uber Nerd Kael gonna leak some more cool news? :drool:

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Faeryl Viconia? :drool:

4. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

thread responses too many - dnr!

a. so, no point buying Civ5 then?

b. pls make game moddable - because I already want to change the game, even though I have not seen it :)

c. nude mod!

5. El_Salmun

El_Salmun Chieftain

True, but in a lot of case nerds will turn out to become engineers, MD's, PhD's, ICT whizzez and such gaining social status in the process - take a look at the most contributing members of these forums, especially for modding... :worship:

6. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

And never forgot Con chicks, female nerds and attractive librarians.

7. JohnCataldo

JohnCataldo Chieftain

It's unfortunate that people are judged harshly for what they enjoy. Having fun in a way that harms no one shouldn't be a guilty pleasure that you need to hide from others.

It's also a reality, especially in high school. Luckily that does change later. Doing a variety of things is far more interesting later in life than just doing 'cool' things. (If all you do is play civ, that's not terribly well rounded either, to be fair.)

That said, let's get some more FFH standalone so I can play a lot of that!

=D

8. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Yes, gaming is mainstream now. But civ is still pretty nerdy. And a role-playing fantasy themed civ with its own unique lore and fanboys? Just about as nerdy as it gets. So don't give Ekolite a hard time. He's here and shares his dark shameful secret here with us. :)

As for the news, congrats! Big news! Great to see some pay off for everyone's hard work, it is well deserved and long overdue Congrats again!

9. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

I declare this thread 50% derailed. Quickly Kael! Release more news! Regain your momentum!

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

so basically the better a game is, the nerdier?

quick, I gotta go buy some ****** games! get me a DS, ASAP!!!

11. Verdian

Verdian King

I keep trying to fight the urge to post an off-topic comment, but then stuff like this appears. :p

I guess what with every aspect of life (especially if you are still in school) being monitored by facebook, the social ramifications are different now. I just found friends that shared my nerdy interests, and cut off the acquaintances that mocked me. Embarrassing video games? Heck, we played Princess Maker 2 together! :lol:

Looking back, my gaming (video and tabletop) habits helped my social life more than they ever hurt it.

Spoiler :
    AND THE DS IS AWESOME, YARGH

12. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

13. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

I've been thinking, and I want to make a mod for FFH standalone which allows me to put real-world historical empires in conflict with one another.

14. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

boy was that awesome. thanx apenpaap :D

15. JohnCataldo

JohnCataldo Chieftain

If you listen to either of Wil Wheaton's speeches he's made at PAX, that's a major theme.

I know it's true for me. It's mostly friends I made through gaming in HS (or even earlier) are the people I still care about these days (I'm 33.) Some of them I still see on a semi regular basis.

16. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I, for one, like the Facebook group of Fall From Heaven and have been a member for some time now. FFH is kind of like the final screening in an epic personality test.

17. HahnHolio

HahnHolio Warlord

maybe this all is just a hoax? thought about that? ^^

18. Link

Link Scarves

im not a nerd, and my friends know i pplay civ. they dont think badly about it. most of them have played civ rev before. i constantly tell them that civ rev was bad and that computer civs are awesome

19. hbar

hbar Constant

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)​

20. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Wil Wheaton! LOL. Sorry Ekolite, you are smack dab in the middle of the capital of Nerdtopia! This community is in no small part built by your 3000 posts. You could almost qualify to be mayor. You cannot deny this is your destiny!