The Gallic War

Strider

In Retrospect
Most Esteemed Residents of TNT:

We humbly apologize for the offensive tone and saber-rattling nature of our last communique.

We are a passionate people, and drink sometimes makes us forget ourselves. We apologize for any distress or unease our message may have caused.

The people of KISS are, at heart, peaceable farmers dedicated to the matters of religious enlightenment. We believe that amicable relatioins and open trade further these sublime pursuits and are eager to engage in discussions regarding trade and commerce.

Please, brothers, let us sit and barter. May our interaction based on mutual respect lead us both to a peacable and prosperous existence.

APRIL FOOLS!!!

We're just messing with you. We're idiots and April Fools Day is our highest religous holiday.

We're really only interested in trading blows. Soon your cheif import will be pain, while your chief export will be the odor from your fancy silk MC Hammer pants when you soil yourselves at our approach.

Consider this a declaration of war.

This is no joke. We've declared war on you. Our holy Meleetian Jihad has been declared on the holiest of all KISS days.

If you have any quesitons you can speak with Admiral Kutzov.

Have a nice day.

POTKISS Whomp

Okay here's the deal, we have 4 pikeman that can reach horsebomb in 3 turns.

If we converty every city over to offensive war production (Immortals) then we will have 2 extra immortals next turn. Two turns after that we will have an additional 4 (if we don't rush).

However, I suggest we rush some immortals at the source of the battle. If we rush Immortals in Unabomb, horsebomb, and Dynopolis that will give us 5 Immortals at our disposal next turn. 3 of which are at the source of the battle. The other two are located in Semtax and Vbraunopolis.

We can also rush an additional immortal in Shilhanopolis, which will give us 6 Immortals for usage next turn.

Those 6 immortals along with the pikemen we send upto aid in the war effort will hopefully be enough to destroy the 8 gallic swordsmen on our continent.

Are true problem lies not in the 8 that are currently here, but in any reinforcements that may arrive. We can not keep up a naval war against the galls and win. We must get MIA to take away the gallic naval advantage and attack them VIA land as soon as possible.

Our other problem is the Iroqi, they have not declared war yet, but there intentions are unknown. In a positive mood, their Mounted Warriors have moved away from our borders. Which leads me to believe that this is not a coordinated effort between the Iroqi and Galls.

rushing 2 or 3 immortals is probably a good idea, but i think we should also rush some horses. we can get chivlary from MIA, so if we rush some horses, then we can upgrade them to knights fairly soon. also, some pikes will help as well, since they are better on defense then immortals.

Another question is, what about the Great Library? Should we attempt to continue building it?

Strider said:
Another question is, what about the Great Library? Should we attempt to continue building it?

well, we spent so much time working out the deal with MIA, and it would only take up the production of 1 city, so i say we go ahead and build it.

Yer carry on building it, we need one third pikes, one third horse and one third immortals, we can get chivalry off MIA and upgrade the horsemen, furbomb is lost we should abandon it, we should keep horsebomb for awhile but will probably have to abandon that as well. we need to trust the dnuts a bit more and move our units north as them cities are more important anyways and maybe consider offsetting the galls by asking MIA to get involved,

We do have the short (5 turn) agreement on extension of peace though, so at least on the short term we will be safe.

I am deeply sorry that we are in such a mess. I take full responsibility. Being on the receiving end of a Gallic sneak attack is bad enough but I feel as though I've let my teammates down. I want to extend my apology to all of you. I also want to say I'm glad to be on this team. This emergency has not evoked any panic or in-fighting. You have all come to these forums and put forth your ideas. You make me proud to be a no-namer. :goodjob:

OK, time to take stock of our situation.

There are eight Gallic swordsmen positioned right outside Furbomb. Seven are vets, one is elite. Next turn they can just walk into Furbomb and Horsebomb. We can do nothing about it. I'm not sure where the cultural borders will be once they are in possession of Horsebomb, which has no culture of it's own. I'll assume that the cultural borders of Dynopolis and Unabomb will practically surround Horsebomb. Even so, once they own Horsebomb they can send their remaining swords into HB using only one movement point. From there they can A) move one tile N or NW and end adjacent to Unabomb; B) move one tile west and end within striking distance of both Dancing Banana and Dynopolis or C) move one tile SW and end within striking distance of Dynopolis. An alternative path (D) through the forest south of Horsebomb would place them adjacent to Dynopolis.

Under option A they can attack Unabomb next turn. We can spend 72g to rush the pike there and can also get one more pike in that city before their attack. They would both be regular pikemen. As best I can tell each vet sword would have a fifty-fifty chance of beating our regular fortified pikes in Unabomb. Still in all it seems that they could easily take Unabomb with half their present force.

We have one vet pike than can reach Dynopolis this turn. We can rush another vet pike in Dynopolis of 88g. Fort Incendiary can complete a pikeman next turn and it can make Dynopolis before the Galls can attack it. So the best we can do for that city is two fortified vet pikes and one unfortified regular pike. The former would have a 65% chance of surviving the initial attack by a vet Gallic swordsman, the latter only a 38% chance. IF they split their forces and only send four swords against Dynopolis we could hold it IF we are lucky.

We have two regular pikes that can reach Dancing Banana in two turns (before the Galls could attack it). Semtex could complete a regular pike next turn which could also defend DB. We could rush another reg pike in Provbomb for 60g which could make DB in time. That would put four regular unfortified pikes in DB. Since DB is a city they'd still have a 65% of winning the initial battles.

Our capital city currently has 99 shields stored up. We could switch to a vet pike and forego the extra 69 shields or we could switch to a market which would be done next turn. We could then put DB on military production. EDIT: wasting the shileds would give us one more vet pike to defend either DB or Dynopolis.)

All our other pikes are out of reach of the endangered cities. There are two in the east that cannot reach any cities in time nor block the Galls. They can be used as bait in an effort to hold a unit or two for a turn. There's one more in the NE. Our two horses and our immortal are deep in the jungle/ marshes. EDIT: We have 8 pikes near Fort C but also have three cities down there to defend against possible Iroqi treachery. There are 6 pikes near the Keep and one more in the far west.

We could consider other scenarios where we build or rush horsemen or immortals. Keep in mind that a horse to knight upgrades are very expensive. The difference is 40 shields. If the cost is 4 gps then thats 160g for one knight. Also, once we lose horsebomb we lose our only connected horse. There's another supply within our borders near Semtex but it'll take a bit to hook it up.

We currently have 313g. We can get another 10g by selling the library in Furbomb before abandoning the city. Here is the breakdown of switching over to military production. We can make vets only in DB and Dynopolis. I've made the table based on pikes but since they cost the same as immortals or horsemen it gives a good picture of all three. I did not include Fruitbomb or the Keep since they are not connected to our resource net.

Code:
City        Turns to finish pike       cost to rush

Unabomb            3                      72g
Dynopolis          3                      88g
Dancing Banana     1 (wastes 69 shields)   0g
Semtex             1                       0g
Grendopolis        6                      88g
Carpetbomb         9                     108g
Provobomb          3                      60g
Shilhanopolis      4                      56g
vbraunopolis       1                       0g
Fort Incendiary    1                       0g
Fort C.           28                     112g
Torusopolis       30                     240g

To summarize we will lose both Furbomb and Horsebomb this round. The Galls can threaten Unabomb, Dynopolis and Dancing Banana the round after that. If the Galls keep their force together they could advance on any one of these cities and take it. If they split their force they'd still have a good chance of taking Unabomb and a shot at Dynopolis.

I will definately ask for an extension before playing this turn. Please help form our defensive strategy!

i still think we should abandon Furbomb. no point in letting the Galls getting it when we can prevent them from doing so this turn. are you sure the Galls can reach Horsebomb next turn? we do have 3 pikes in the area, so like Strider said, we should move them towards Horsebomb, where they can protect the city next time we get the save.

for our military needs, i think we should rush 5 pikes, 3 horses, and 3 Immortals. we need pikes for defense, horses for knight upgrades, and immortals for instant counterattacking. also, i don't think we should give up on the Great Library just yet. i think we can beat the Galls, save our core, and still build the GL. the GL would take up production of only 1 city, so it won't affect us that much in terms of unit production.

edit: we should move 2 or 3 pikes which are now near Fort C. and move them up north to defend our core.

Here's a map that shows how they can enter the undefended city of Horsebomb on their next turn.

This map shows where they can move once they have Horsebomb. Note that if their cultural borders extend to the west or north once they possess Horsebomb they can move even further along the roads. Those swordsmen have two movement points.

we should send that pike on the northern hill 1 tile south. this will hopefully catch KISS's eye, and they'll waste a Gallic or 2 attacking it. i think we should let them take Horsebomb instead of razing it, and hope to liberate it later in the war. however, we should raze Furbomb, since that city would be harder to get back since it is furhter away and near KISS's fleet of gallies.

Horsemen would be mostly useless, they don't have the attack or defense to reliably defeat a gallic swordsmen, and it would just be a waste of shields. It will also be far to expensive for us to upgrade them to knights. We'd get 2 immortal rush's in for each knight upgrade.

Pikemen may be useful, but we really need offensive units, thus my emphasize on Immortals. Using our road networks, the 6 immortals we can get out next turn can each take out 6 gallic swordsmen if were lucky (4 attack vs 2 defense). At the least it will damage the gallic army badly.

We must force them off our continent, and pikemen will do little to aid that. If we don't, then their just fortify on a hill or captured city and wait for reinforcements, something we can't afford.

We are going to lose acouple of cities, not alot we can do about it. My guess is that were going to lose 4 at the least. However, I'd much rather make our goal destroying the invaders, than defending our cities.

Here's my suggestion for our production/builds/rushes/troop movements:

Switch Unabomb and Dynopolis over to pikeman and rush (72g +88g = 160g; 153g left in treasury).

Switch Semtex over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

Switch Provobomb over to an Immortal and rush. (153 - 60g = 93g left in treasury)

Switch Vbraunopolis over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

Switch Shilhanopolis over to an Immortal and rush. (93g - 64g = 37g left in treasury)

Switch Fort Incendiary over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

We have 11 or 12 pikeman in the Southern regions or in the outlands. I suggest we move as many as possible for our core and set up defensive points.

Switch both Carpetbomb and Grenadopolis over to Immortals. We won't have enough gold to rush them this turn, but we should beable to rush one next turn.

In all this will give us the following next turn:
2 pikemen in Unabomb and Dynopolis (the two cities that we might beable to hold)

5 Immortals

11-12 Pikemen on their way to secure our core.

So the plan is this:
The pikemen in Unabomb and Dynopolis won't help much in keeping the city from being captured, but they are important. As Donsig said, they have a 50-50 chance, but that goes even more in our favor if their in a city and fortified. So there is a possibility that one of them may take out a gallic swordsmen.If were unlucky an they don't lose any, that is still two swordsmen that are out of the battle for a short period due to injuries.

We then move in with the newly built 5 immortals, who holds a 60-40 chance of winning each battle. they will hopefully beable to take down 3-4 gallic swordsmen, appro. half the army. If we keep pumping out Immortals then it shouldn't take long for the gallic swordsmen to break down.

Strider said:
Here's my suggestion for our production/builds/rushes/troop movements:

Switch Unabomb and Dynopolis over to pikeman and rush (72g +88g = 160g; 153g left in treasury).

Switch Semtex over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

Switch Provobomb over to an Immortal and rush. (153 - 60g = 93g left in treasury)

Switch Vbraunopolis over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

Switch Shilhanopolis over to an Immortal and rush. (93g - 64g = 37g left in treasury)

Switch Fort Incendiary over to an Immortal, should be completed next turn.

We have 11 or 12 pikeman in the Southern regions or in the outlands. I suggest we move as many as possible for our core and set up defensive points.

Switch both Carpetbomb and Grenadopolis over to Immortals. We won't have enough gold to rush them this turn, but we should beable to rush one next turn.

In all this will give us the following next turn:
2 pikemen in Unabomb and Dynopolis (the two cities that we might beable to hold)

5 Immortals

11-12 Pikemen on their way to secure our core.

So the plan is this:
The pikemen in Unabomb and Dynopolis won't help much in keeping the city from being captured, but they are important. As Donsig said, they have a 50-50 chance, but that goes even more in our favor if their in a city and fortified. So there is a possibility that one of them may take out a gallic swordsmen.If were unlucky an they don't lose any, that is still two swordsmen that are out of the battle for a short period due to injuries.

We then move in with the newly built 5 immortals, who holds a 60-40 chance of winning each battle. they will hopefully beable to take down 3-4 gallic swordsmen, appro. half the army. If we keep pumping out Immortals then it shouldn't take long for the gallic swordsmen to break down.

i agree, while pikemen might defend the continent for awhile them gaillic swordsmen are going to run riot and what happens when our iron source gets cut, we need to have some immortals on the go and basically think this plan is the best one so far.

ok, build more immortals then pikes, but we need to build some pikes. i guess i see what you mean about wasting shields and money with horses and knight upgrades. but once we get chivalry from MIA, we need to build some knights.

Here's a map showing the situation if we abandon both Furbomb and Horsebomb. The green lines show how far the Galls can get in two turns. The green ovals show where they could be after their next turn.

There are six places they could be when we play turn 119. An immortal in Unabomb could reach any of the six spots next turn. An immortal in Dynopolis could reach all but one (the tile directly north of Horsebomb). If we forego the shields and raise an immortal in Dancing Banana it would be able to reach 4 of the spots. (It could not reach the tile north of Horsebomb or the tile east of Dynopolis. Assuming the Galls take our worker and all three of these immortals killed off a Gallic swordsman they would still have a stack of four left. If we make immortals in the outlying cities then on turn 119 these immortals would be forced to A) defend our threatened cities or B) hold back and let the Galls take the city so they (the immortals) could attack and get the better odds. It seems to me that our outlying cities should build pikes now to defend on turn 119 unless we want to make horsemen that could attack on turn 119.

Hi guys,

I realize this takes a good deal of discussion, but please either play the save or ask for a 24 hour extension ... as you're a few hours over the limit. Thanks!

Ginger_Ale said:
Hi guys,

I realize this takes a good deal of discussion, but please either play the save or ask for a 24 hour extension ... as you're a few hours over the limit. Thanks!

Actually, I just asked for a couple days.

The real question is, do they know any of our terrority around horsebomb? If it's just black then they might decide to just sit in furbomb for acouple of turns and wait for reinfocements.

They might also send their units off in a wrong direction, giving us an extra turn.

Strider said:
The real question is, do they know any of our terrority around horsebomb? If it's just black then they might decide to just sit in furbomb for acouple of turns and wait for reinfocements.

They might also send their units off in a wrong direction, giving us an extra turn.

they've never sent land units to our continent unitl the invasion, so they all the non costal land will be black to them!! i can't believe i forgot about this. there's a good chance our cities will be saved for an extra turn, because they don't know where our cities are. they sent a ship a while back, so they know our coast, but not anything inland. if we rush enough Immortals and such this turn, we should be able to kill enough Gallics next turn, and we won't lose anymore cities, 'cause they might go the wrong way in the dark!

Top Bottom