• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Great Game: Rise and Fall of Empires

Saimese Elephant Artillery

Some ideas on the unit line:
Cavalry -----> Cavalry ----------------------> Tank
Light Cavalry--------------------> Machine Gunner (or maybe just Tank too?)
Early Infantry------> Infantry----------> WWI Infantry
Light Infantry------> ?
Artillery--------------------------> Later Artillery
Gatling Gun------> Machine Gunner
Marine--------------------------> Later Marine

A lot of civs have a Zouaves, should Zouaves just be light infantry, or should there be something special about them?

Zouave describes a style of uniform more than it does any organizational doctrine. Zouaves have been light infantry, regular infantry, ceremonial units, and palace guards. Some Zouave units were pretty tough while others were pushovers.

I would just make them regular infantry in your infantry line. If any of them happen to be UU's you can bump up their attack/defense as a measure of elan.

I read that during the Franco-Siamese war Siam put cannons on the backs of Elephants. But I haven't been able to find pictures, so I don't know if they were the same small sized cannons they mounted on elephants during the 15th - 18th centuries, or not. Like this
I saw several photos 1 2 3

The cannon I have on him now is probably too heavy, but I dont have many props.
And looking more closely at the photos they look like they might be more like Gatling guns, and extremely thin cannons. So I might change it to a mounted elephant Gatling gun which I think an elephant could carry on its back, 275kg, although elephants can carry up to 540 kg.

Shiro, do the wheels move separately on the cannon you have?

If so, where'd you get it from? :)

Also, scenario looks very interesting. It's not often you get to see the likes of Hawaii and Madagascar in a proper global scenario after all! :cool:

Wonders for India -

• Sepoy Mutiny - might seem strange at first, but it's no stranger than the Restoration. It was a major contributor to the end of EIC power. It caused a major shift in the politics of most of the subcontinent - including the end of the Mughal dynasty. It led to a restructuring of the British Army. It gave Indians the idea for the first time that they might be able to stand up to Britain.
  • Indian Civil Service - appointment by merit gave Indians a chance at similar opportunities to the middle class elsewhere. Including a shot at college-level training in Britain. And one of the few ways to be involved in the governance of the Raj.
  • Indian National Congress - the pre-independence movement, not the current political party

Elephant artillery - it may help sort out the pictures to distinguish two types. Smaller guns mounted on a howdah is the first type - which could be some breech-loading field piece or some type of rapid-fire weapon. More commonly field artillery was carried by elephants, then unloaded. The latter type carried wheels which were assembled with the gun carriage only after dismounting the elephant. There's a good illustration from the London Daily News of 1853 on page 227 of War Elephants by Kistler. Elephants also towed limbers and caissons just like horse artillery.

Some news, Imperator has been kind enough to let me use his animations, so that saves me the trouble of making my own. And more importantly they will look much better than I could have done.
Already finished the Qing Rifleman, and the Camel Mounted Cannon, and I'm now rendering the Madagascar Rifleman.

Wonders for India -

• Sepoy Mutiny - might seem strange at first, but it's no stranger than the Restoration. It was a major contributor to the end of EIC power. It caused a major shift in the politics of most of the subcontinent - including the end of the Mughal dynasty. It led to a restructuring of the British Army. It gave Indians the idea for the first time that they might be able to stand up to Britain.
  • Indian Civil Service - appointment by merit gave Indians a chance at similar opportunities to the middle class elsewhere. Including a shot at college-level training in Britain. And one of the few ways to be involved in the governance of the Raj.
  • Indian National Congress - the pre-independence movement, not the current political party

Elephant artillery - it may help sort out the pictures to distinguish two types. Smaller guns mounted on a howdah is the first type - which could be some breech-loading field piece or some type of rapid-fire weapon. More commonly field artillery was carried by elephants, then unloaded. The latter type carried wheels which were assembled with the gun carriage only after dismounting the elephant. There's a good illustration from the London Daily News of 1853 on page 227 of War Elephants by Kistler. Elephants also towed limbers and caissons just like horse artillery.
I think I can use some of those wonders, and maybe I can make them as a statue using paperdoll.
Do you know the largest cannon mounted and fired on an elephant?
I think I'm going to make it a Gatling gun, but it would be nice to get more info on late 19th century Thai mounted cannons.

I think a Gatling/machine gun will do the trick.
;)
Shiro, do the wheels move separately on the cannon you have?

If so, where'd you get it from? :)

Also, scenario looks very interesting. It's not often you get to see the likes of Hawaii and Madagascar in a proper global scenario after all! :cool:
The wheels are on one axis, so both wheel move together.
I agree, Thats why I want to keep them in.

This video - from about 4 minutes in - shows a reconstruction by an experimental archaeologist of an elephant mounted gun. That should give some idea of the size that was feasible. How the gun was used as well. It's based on contemporary account(s) of the Mughals, but the same general principles would have to apply to any other army's use of elephant artillery.

The wheels are on one axis, so both wheel move together.

Oh, no, I meant do the two wheels together move separately from the main cannon chassis?

Because the only cannon I have doesn't have wheels that can move on their own, it's fiddly to get it to work right to say the least!

This video - from about 4 minutes in - shows a reconstruction by an experimental archaeologist of an elephant mounted gun. That should give some idea of the size that was feasible. How the gun was used as well. It's based on contemporary account(s) of the Mughals, but the same general principles would have to apply to any other army's use of elephant artillery.

Bloody amazing video :thumbsup:

Best,

Oz

Does anyone have an ideas and pictures for Serbain, South American, Dutch (or any other civ) UUs

Also can someone find the best examples of mid-late 19th century marines? I'd like to only make 2 or 3 that I can use for every civ.

Heh. I remember I did a Great Game scenario for Civilization III many years ago. Two scenarios, actually. One set in the 1800s, and one set right after the First World War.

Unfortunately I always had problems with both files and they are long gone now.

Glad to see someone else finally chose to touch on this era again! Yours looks great!

If I had a suggestion on something you should include, it would be a number of different spy units. The espionage is probably the most exciting part of The Great Game!

The following countries have a Marine Corps tradition during the period of your mod. In some cases the line is blurred betweeen Marines as we usually think of them and naval landing forces and naval infantry:

United States
Great Britain
France
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Germany
Russia

I will look around for photos.

Also any ideas for the Empire of Haiti?

"Zinglins". They were the Faustin's group of militia that backed him when he declared himself Emperor. They were known to be exceptionally loyal to Faustin as well as exceptionally nasty, reportedly even drinking the blood of their enemies (though it's uncertain how much of this is simply propaganda from later).

Soulouque, a black general of no particular distinction, was considered just another understudy when he was tapped by the legislature as a compromise between competing factions. Once in office, however, he displayed a Machiavellian taste for power. He purged the military high command, established a secret police force--known as the zinglins--to keep dissenters in line, and eliminated mulatto opponents. In August 1849, he grandiosely proclaimed himself as Haiti's second emperor, Faustin I.

From: http://www.travelinghaiti.com/history_of_haiti/decades_of_instability.asp

Top Bottom