The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

SpaceChem
Payday 2
Metal Slug 3
Burial at Sea Ep 1 and 2 (for BioShock Infinite)
Banished
Metro Last Light
Shadow Warrior
Nidhogg
Gone Home
Orcs Must Die 2
Dust An Elysian Trail
Baldur's Gate 2 EE
Shadowrun Returns
Planet Explorers
Risk of Rain

I didn't buy anything from GOG because I seem to already own most of what I wanted from there.

I think I kept under the 80-100$ mark or so. Not bad. I'mma be busy until the next sale... And hopefully these games unglue me from Dark Souls II for a minute.

If you want some quick upranking in PD2 I'll carry you along for some overkill missions :)

I picked up Planetary Annihilation!

It's 100% unplayable pre-alpha crap

CTD every time, and I can't update my drivers because my notebook is already running the last version released for 2nd gen iCore CPU machines. Latest driver required third gen. Verified integrity of files, updated dx9, etc. still broken

Well maybe you should pay atttention to what your looking at, and realize that it's a early access.

Sorry, your complaining about it having bugs, when it's explicitly stated that it's a game in development.

Stop complaining about the bugs.

Wow someone actually bought goat simulator lol. And octodad lol. But hey I buy tons to so I shouldn't talk.

To the moon sucks. Just warning you ahead of time. Most overrated game I've ever played.

I was fairly restrained (for me). While in the past I would've easily sprung for $5 triple A titles like Tomb Raider and Borderlands 2 just because they were $5, I talked common sense to myself realize they will 1. be on sale again come christmas and 2. not get played before christmas anyway lol. I did walk away with a few though:

Gog:
Magrunner dark pulse for free
Omerta city of gangsters for free
Spacechem
Jade Empire
Ultima collection pack
King of Dragon Pass
Zafehouse Diaries

Steam:
All the Defense Grid dlc
Ultrabundle which has Titans Attack and some other games, tower defense robot stuff
Civ5 Brave New World
FF7
Papers Please
XCom Enemy Unknown + The Bureau pack

So far played a few hours on spacechem, civ5 and jade empire.

Spacechem, amazing at first, quickly becomes massively complex. Feels like work. At first the concepts were awesome, now the game is laborious. I probably won't finish it any time soon.

Jade empire, love it. Only played a tiny bit but the fighting style is cool, glad it's voiced, like ninja fantasy dragon age origins so far. Downside is there's a config utility that says it supports 1080p but in the game everything looks a bit stretched so I don't think it really does. Looks like it doesn't support widescreen, plus in game settings you cannot select 1080p res.

Civ5, so far it's kind of meh. I'm not seeing huge differences between this and gods and kings, though I have not advance past middle ages yet. It feels like civ5 just keeps adding more and more bonus kinds of things without fundamentally changing crap. Like trade routes, just another bonus option for getting gold. Religions, just more bonus modifier options. I suppose once I actually go for tourism and culture victories I'll notice it.

Civ5, so far it's kind of meh. I'm not seeing huge differences between this and gods and kings, though I have not advance past middle ages yet. It feels like civ5 just keeps adding more and more bonus kinds of things without fundamentally changing crap. Like trade routes, just another bonus option for getting gold. Religions, just more bonus modifier options. I suppose once I actually go for tourism and culture victories I'll notice it.

The only victory condition that wasn't changed was Science (and Time I guess). Culture is completely retooled, Domination now requires you to capture and hold all the Capitals so no more getting lucky with another warmonger doing some of the work for you, and Diplo voting is done with the World Congress and has a lot of new timing issues with predicting the votes. Early to mid game wont feel too different but old habits for late game will need to be altered. Not to mention tons of less obvious changes to AI strategies.

I got these from this sale:
Dont Starve (havent tried it yet)
Skyrim Legendary (previously only played console and now trying lots of mods)
Shadowrun Returns (lots of fun so far, just 3 hours into it)
Halo Spartan Assault (havent tried it yet)
and

Xcom Enemy Within DLC - I got that on the first sale day and immediately started playing it. Im in month 4 and kind of lost interest. Partly from playing Shadowrun and Skyrim but partly because the new stuff is neat but not super-compelling. It didnt take me long to know which genes and mec stuff isnt useful. I'll finish the storyline once (on Classic) for certain but I dunno if i'll put too many full playthroughs into this. At least they gave us some new features to make it both harder and easier (i will never agree to missing on a 99% shot so I tick the new random results on reloads feature and only reload on the egregious misses like that). It's the only reason I dont play Ironman, btw.

So far I've only played two games (and the second on is on Epic and almost done, I don't know if I'll win via culture victory or space first, but, and Rubrum you were right about this, Epic does drag on a bit much in Civ5 compared to Civ4) but Domination is still pretty easy to do at lower difficulties (slowly working my way up).

The great people are mixed, I like the cultural ones and the archaeologist unit ( :D ) but the admirals and generals are kind of annoying since you can't attach them to a unit (and the admiral ends up being much slower than my modern ships) and have to keep moving them around, large armies are definitely annoying to manage sometimes. Definitely going to have to raise the difficulty to 5 I think though, the AI does very little.

I've only gotten two great scientists, but have several engineers and merchants. Kind of wish I could do more with them although their tile improvements are great.

Can you explain real quickly how works of stuff function? To make a great work of writing I need to expend a great writer? Cus I have a ton of slots and no great peoples :( Then what does it do, attract tourists to up my trade route benefits? I know eventually you spread influence with them to win culture victories but I'm confused why they benefit you in the meantime.

And assyria is so op! I completely crushed sweden with just 3 siege tower thingys, rolled through 3 of their cities, got 3 free techs for it and now they are dead lol.

the works operate basically as follows: expending Writers/Artists/Musicians/Archeologists for Works of Art (and not a flat bonus like culture boost) will fill an available slot. You always start with one for the palace slot. You get more from wonders and buildings (Opera House, The Oracle, etc). In your Tourism screen you can go to individual works of art and move them around to other buildings. Each multi slot location (wonders and some late era buildings) has something called 'Themes'. if your works of art fit the theme then you get additional tourism benefits. Themes are defined by 'all Works are from the same era but from different civs' or 'all Works from different civs and different eras', etc. There are other things in the game like religion benefits or social policies to amplify these bonuses.

Also, Great writers/artists/musician are on a different point scale than Scientises/Engineers/Merchants and Admirals/Generals. And each slot adds +2 culture and +2 tourism (plus whatever bonuses you get from added policies/wonders/religion).

Tourism is required as the function of a culture victory but filling those slots arent the only way to get them or the only method to a CV. There are other ways to get tourism in bulk or to have less need for the tourism pressure (like dominating everyone except the last civ and using what tourism you have to defeat them).

Writer's guilds and Artist's guilds come early so you can start culture strategies soon or you can change gears later in the game to adjust to unforeseen obstacles.

I'm close to a cultural victory, apparently, since one of the two remaining other civs is now heavily influenced by my culture. It was kind of funny and historically fitting (sort of) when the Shoshone chief complained to me about how his people are now wearing my blue jeans and listening to my pop music. The Morrocans are still holding out but my influence is pretty strong on them. If that doesn't work though I have six nukes on their border :D

On topic, while I was humming and hawing over getting Insurgency despite missing the daily deal, Kan just went ahead and gifted it to me :D

Really enjoying it, and I can see why a lot of people compare it to Counter-Strike as some skills are certainly transferable, but its pretty much 1 hit kill (usually), and a lot more realistic, tactical and slightly slower paced but still fast. Really fills in a niche I've been looking for for a while. Lots of game modes, not sure how many maps but they are quite pretty. The Source engine holds up well for it too and I really like the mod/equipment system.

Also it has molotov cocktails! Aaaaand I set myself on fire.

Well maybe you should pay atttention to what your looking at, and realize that it's a early access.

Sorry, your complaining about it having bugs, when it's explicitly stated that it's a game in development.

Stop complaining about the bugs.

Early access =/= completely unplayable

Besides, it's been in dev for years and has already moved out from 'alpha' and 'beta' stages, internally.

Besides, it's been in dev for years and has already moved out from 'alpha' and 'beta' stages, internally.

I agree. I loved total annihilation and supreme commander (2 was terrible, sadly) and am quite excited about this game. But the massive price tag and early access means I will not be purchasing it any time soon. It was $60 to get in just a few months ago, only recently dropped base price and saw those sales. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime while they work out the bugs. Is there a target real release date? Maybe next summer?

It is supposed to be released this winter. The price drops with every milestone reached, and the final price will be $40.

On topic, while I was humming and hawing over getting Insurgency despite missing the daily deal, Kan just went ahead and gifted it to me :D

Really enjoying it, and I can see why a lot of people compare it to Counter-Strike as some skills are certainly transferable, but its pretty much 1 hit kill (usually), and a lot more realistic, tactical and slightly slower paced but still fast. Really fills in a niche I've been looking for for a while. Lots of game modes, not sure how many maps but they are quite pretty. The Source engine holds up well for it too and I really like the mod/equipment system.

Also it has molotov cocktails! Aaaaand I set myself on fire.

I've heard it described sort of like Red Orchestra 2 meets Counter-Strike. How accurate is that?

Not a bad description, although it is only really similar to Red Orchestra in that it is a tactical, semi-realistic shooter where you usually don't survive more than one shot. Your gun still points roughly at the center of the screen in Insurgency instead of floating around like it does in Ro2 when you are not using sights. You also move faster than in RO2 but not as fast and glidey as in CS, I think it works well for the game though,

Also, considering all the videos of games of it, the fact that when i try to play, it isnt unplayable, clearly means it's you who is having a issue, not the game. The issue is likely on your side. If it's something on your side, generally that means complaining that they made a unplayable mess just makes you sound like a utter jerk.

Also, considering all the videos of games of it, the fact that when i try to play, it isnt unplayable, clearly means it's you who is having a issue, not the game. The issue is likely on your side. If it's something on your side, generally that means complaining that they made a unplayable mess just makes you sound like a utter jerk.
If you charge for a game on Steam it has to be playable. It does not have to be good, but it has to be playable. Period.

We all know that there is always the potential for hardware/software issues. But that being said, while I only had rare crashes during my last play session (I think that was after they added the galactic campaign map thingy mode), it still had terrible performance on my machine.

So, yeah, I'd agree with the sentiment that it is not worth buying PA right now UNLESS you want to support the devs. If you want a good gaming experience get Supreme Commander 1 and wait until PA comes out.

As for the topic:
I recently bought SMAC on GOG. I remember I played that game like 10 or 12 years ago - and I failed miserably. Now it is 2014 and what can I say - SMAC is even better than I remembered it. The second I heard that heavy breathing of my Scout I was immersed in the game. The tech and building quotes are just amazing. The unfolding story is great. The UI is a joke, but the game itself is still a brilliant masterpiece.

Top Bottom