[RD] The impact on western nations of allowing in millions of Muslim "refugees"

Which do you prefer?

• The left should continue letting in millions of Muslims even if it means losing power.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • The left should curtail the influx, cut down a bit.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • No more Muslim immigration.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • The premise is wrong, the left can bring in millions of more Muslims and the effect will be small.

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Who? Someone coming to dinner granny?

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
*shrug* I don't think tens of millions (let alone 'every poor family in the world') is a realistic scenario. What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with your logic of seeing immigrants purely as costs and drains on resources. I think there is a detectable strain of racism in this rhetoric that seems to always immediately assume immigrants will come then just sit around and collect benefits.

Of course, the days are coming when what you're describing will probably be more or less sober reality. You think we have migrant problems now? Just wait for another few decades of climate change. That'll be fun for whoever's left to sort it out.

The US benefited from mass migration when it was largely an empty, un-built wild country. It could easily absorb hordes of workers, skilled or unskilled, and give them land or work or both. This is not the case of Switzerland or Germany or the Netherlands.

The US is continuing to benefit from mass immigration today. Now I haven't looked at the figures or anything but I highly doubt that Europe is at or anywhere near its actual carrying capacity of humans. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I doubt it.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with your logic of seeing immigrants purely as costs and drains on resources. I think there is a detectable strain of racism in this rhetoric that seems to always immediately assume immigrants will come then just sit around and collect benefits.
At least here in Finland, 3rd world migrants tend to have low employment rates. Unlike some, I actually don't blame them for that situation. I believe that most of them are good people who want to work. The problem is, however, that a lot of these people have little to no employable skills, no connections, and very limited language skills. To make matters worse, a lot of them are arriving is a situation where it is near impossible for them to find work. Already we have a huge problem with mass unemployment, and finding work is very difficult even for natives. So a lot of these immigrants arrive in a situation where a lot of them are practically forced to go on welfare. And, since they are forced to go on welfare, they tend to be a burden on the state. I wish it wasn't this way, but this is the reality we live in.
*shrug* I don't think tens of millions (let alone 'every poor family in the world') is a realistic scenario.
Of course, the days are coming when what you're describing will probably be more or less sober reality. You think we have migrant problems now? Just wait for another few decades of climate change. That'll be fun for whoever's left to sort it out.
Is it just my imagination or is there a contradiction here?
The US is continuing to benefit from mass immigration today. Now I haven't looked at the figures or anything but I highly doubt that Europe is at or anywhere near its actual carrying capacity of humans. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I doubt it.
The US immigration debate is a mess and I'm not going to debate that topic, as I'm not an expert on it. But I will say this, some people in the US disagree with you. And more importantly, Europe is in a different situation both when it comes to employment and social policies.

Is it just my imagination or is there a contradiction here?

Probably, should have been more careful about my wording I guess. Not a realistic scenario for now or the near future work better?

The US immigration debate is a mess and I'm not going to debate that topic, as I'm not an expert on it. But I will say this, some people in the US disagree with you. And more importantly, Europe is in a different situation both when it comes to employment and social policies.

Don't worry, it's pretty simple, white people want to limit mass immigration to preserve a white majority in the US. That's why they elected Donald Trump.

*shrug* I don't think tens of millions (let alone 'every poor family in the world') is a realistic scenario. What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with your logic of seeing immigrants purely as costs and drains on resources. I think there is a detectable strain of racism in this rhetoric that seems to always immediately assume immigrants will come then just sit around and collect benefits.

I don't view immigration purely as a drain on resources. It can be very positive, and it can be a drain on resources. There's no "racism" in making this obvious distinction. My opinion on immigration has always been that countries can and should choose the types of immigrants they need and restrict others. For instance, even though there is a very high unemployment in France, they still need nurses and some other professionals here, so immigrants with that background would benefit the country. But there's a lot of unemployed unskilled workers already here, so there's no point in letting more come. It will lead to trouble, and in fact has already led to trouble.

It's not about capacity of carrying humans, it's about how many and what kinds of people the economy can absorb. And if you think "tens of millions" is a not realistic scenario, how about the fact that in 2015 and 2016 alone Germany is expected to have received about 1.9 million migrants? And not all restrictions were lifted,and they were only lifted for a short period. What do you think would happen, over a decade, if Germany simply decided to give residency rights to anyone who wanted it? The country would collapse. I can't believe I have to write it down, but Europe cannot absorb all the poverty of the world.

Probably, should have been more careful about my wording I guess. Not a realistic scenario for now or the near future work better?
Perhaps an even bigger problem is the population growth. The population in Africa is projected to grow from 1 billion now to 4 billion in 2100. Now I'm not entirely certain how well Africa can carry 1 billion people, but I imagine 4 billion might be a little problematic.

Don't worry, it's pretty simple, white people want to limit mass immigration to preserve a white majority in the US. That's why they elected Donald Trump.
It's that simple huh? No other reasons, and no nuance at all? If the Americans want to limit immigration to preserve a white majority, then I guess it is their right. But then again isn't it already too late for that? I thought white Americans are already a minority among newborns?

Perhaps an even bigger problem is the population growth. The population in Africa is projected to grow from 1 billion now to 4 billion in 2100. Now I'm not entirely certain how well Africa can carry 1 billion people, but I imagine 4 billion might be a little problematic.

Add climate change, which will undoubtedly reduce carrying capacity of all continents, and you may begin to appreciate the scale of the problem.

This is why I believe we should begin to make moves towards a world where freedom of movement is as close to a reality as we can make it, rather than closing ourselves off and creating the basis for a sort of global apartheid.

The countries of China and India already contain 1 billion people each. That apart, I'm not sure a sustained growth rate of 400 % over 85 years is quite realistic.

There's nothing in the Declaration of Human Rights that says that everybody has the right to chose their country of residency. It says people have the right to leave their country of birth / nationality. But nobody is forced to take them.

Freedom to move means freedom to settle. Otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

Whatever the causes, no country is forced to take any immigrants they don't want. If some groups are found to be problematic (for whatever reason), they don't have to be accepted, at least not without pre-conditions. States can choose who they let in, and under what conditions.

I'm not disputing that. But not that this can cause friction when a state has signed the UDHR.

Yes it was. Firstly for even equating religion or status as an immigrant with race to begin with, then basically saying there's no other reason for criticising or examing either other than racism. This is silly 1-dimensional thinking.

The rest of your post isn't really relevant to that point.

I wasn't commenting on 'racism'.

Actually, you should check the Declaration yourself, because it confirms what I said :

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

The right of residence is "within the border of each state" (so you're not entitled of any residence right in foreign states), and the freedom of movement is about the freedom to "leave", not to "enter".

That doesn't follow at all. In fact, it's an absurd conclusion, since freedom to leave without freedom to enter another state simply means a person becomes de facto stateless. You're also forgetting that, in order to leave, you need a passport. It's call passport for a reason.

But more importantly, your conclusion is not in the spirit of these articles.

The countries of China and India already contain 1 billion people each. That apart, I'm not sure a sustained growth rate of 400 % over 85 years is quite realistic.
Well, Africa does have a high fertility rate, and according to this UN report, in 2100 the population in Africa is projected to be about 4387 million.

That doesn't follow at all. In fact, it's an absurd conclusion, since freedom to leave without freedom to enter another state simply means a person becomes de facto stateless. You're also forgetting that, in order to leave, you need a passport. It's call passport for a reason.

It does follow. From the article, it seems like the freedom to move is a negative freedom. Meaning that no-one is allowed to stop you from leaving, but that does not mean that some other country has an obligation to accept you. Think of it this way: freedom of speech is a negative freedom. No-one is allowed to stop you from speaking your mind. Yet that does not guarantee that anyone is obligated to provide you with the means to reach people. Papers, tv-channels and websites may or may not give you air time as they wish (or don't).

Or, to put this in another way, yes, freedom of movement is a universal (negative) right. Everyone is free to leave. But living in Finland is not a universal right. It is a privilege, afforded only to those we see fit, according to whatever criteria we define (arbitrary or not).

On a personal level I object to the burkini for the same reasons I object to the headscarf. Both are symbols of seclusion that further divisiveness between Muslims and non-Muslims. I don't care what people believe privately, but I don't like it when people feel the need to showcase their religious convictions, especially when the implication is that their religious identity makes them more pure than non-believers. Second, in many cases girls and women are forced to wear these types of clothing. Even if girls may claim that they do it freely, we know that there is a lot of social pressure from family and friends behind the scenes. Thirdly and most importantly, these are symbols of a conservative strand Islam. If a woman wears a headscarf or a burkini, it is not unreasonable to assume that she believes in other parts of conservative Islamic ideology. For example that she doesn't approve of homosexuality, that she thinks derogatorily about non-Muslims, and that she will not place too much value on integrating into our society. Of course in many cases that may be a false assumption, but Muslim women should be aware that in many other cases it is not and that wearing such religious symbols has a lot of implications.

That all being said, I would be the last person to propose laws against these pieces of clothing. And I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be treated any differently because she wears a headscarf or a burkini. However, given the baggage that these religious symbols carry, the women shouldn't be too surprised if reactions towards them are somewhat reserved.
Would you object to a woman wearing a scarf if she's doing chemotherapy and has either little or no hair? There was a news article recently talking about a cancer patient being harassed for wearing a scarf. Apparently people undergoing chemo are supposed to advertise it to the world instead of covering their heads if they prefer.

Back in the '60s, when I was a child, it was customary here for women (and sometimes girls) to wear kerchiefs or scarves when going out in public. It wasn't compulsory, just what was commonly considered "ladylike." I never liked it, since the scarves restricted my hearing and were uncomfortable - thank goodness my grandmother and mother didn't insist on it after I started school, though a few of my classmates did occasionally turn up wearing them.

Between that and the fact that Hutterite women and girls are a common sight around here, I don't get concerned if some Muslim women turn up around town wearing a hijab. After all, it's just an overgrown version of what I used to wear as a child.

Like, I think that we should try to move toward a world in which borders don't prevent people from living where and as they wish. I also think it's quite hypocritical of the apostles of 'globalization' to think it's horrible to restrict the international movement of capital, but to accept restrictions on the international movement of labor as a matter of course.
Some countries would become extremely crowded, and others would become extremely empty.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could live wherever they wanted? Sure, but that's not practical nor even possible, and certainly not desirable given the real constraints we face. It would be even nicer if there was no poverty, no wars, no barbaric cultures that treat women as slaves, etc. We're very far from getting rid of those things, so free movement of people is complete BS for now. Abolishing borders is about as realistic as the rest of the libertarian pipe-dream of getting rid of taxes and the central government. Might sound nice on a philosophical level but in our world it is stupid and if implemented would lead to incredible suffering.
If only someone would hurry up and invent the transporter, holodecks, and replicator, we could have a Star Trek: The Next Generation society right now, where the worst problem would be not having access to Tea, Earl Grey, hot (or coffee, in Captain Janeway's case). People could live anywhere they wanted and commute all over the world in minutes, and nobody would actually need money.

Except that my own view of the latter point (no money) is BS. Every society more complex than nomadic hunter/gatherers needs some kind of economy, even if it's only bartering.

That's a shame, I liked Japan, but Posideon will have his due.

Funnily, one of the biggest reasons the far-right is rising is precisely because of exactly this childish behaviour : by refusing to discuss the subject, the mainstream parties basically have abandonned it to the far-right.
Come off, nobody votes for a Nazi out of snottiness, they vote for a Nazi because they're the kind of demented retrograde who votes for a goddam Nazi. And for people like that, I can suggest no cure, remedy or solution but the embrace of the endless ocean.

I thought your kind was all about 'reeducation.'

'Your kind'?

Well, Africa does have a high fertility rate, and according to this UN report, in 2100 the population in Africa is projected to be about 4387 million.

I read your post, thanks. Doesn't strike me as a realistic projection. Fertility rates now give no indication about fertility rates in 25 years, let alone 85 years.

It does follow. From the article, it seems like the freedom to move is a negative freedom. Meaning that no-one is allowed to stop you from leaving, but that does not mean that some other country has an obligation to accept you. Think of it this way: freedom of speech is a negative freedom. No-one is allowed to stop you from speaking your mind. Yet that does not guarantee that anyone is obligated to provide you with the means to reach people. Papers, tv-channels and websites may or may not give you air time as they wish (or don't).

Or, to put this in another way, yes, freedom of movement is a universal (negative) right. Everyone is free to leave. But living in Finland is not a universal right. It is a privilege, afforded only to those we see fit, according to whatever criteria we define (arbitrary or not).

As I already mentioned in my answer to Akka, this makes no sense: freedom to leave without freedom to enter is pointless. You might consider that - for certain states - freedom to leave is already a big step. Politics are involved. That said, a freedom to leave without a freedom to enter is utterly meaningless. So no, it does not follow.

Come off, nobody votes for a Nazi out of snottiness, they vote for a Nazi because they're the kind of demented retrograde who votes for a goddam Nazi. And for people like that, I can suggest no cure, remedy or solution but the embrace of the endless ocean.
You realize you're kinda illustrating my point, both in "let's ignore the subject and try to shame people out of it, so the only ones who will actually discuss it are the far right" AND "let's make sweeping generalization and amalgam, so people will become desensitized to actual racism and far right extremist because the words will lose their meaning through overuse" department ?
Freedom to move means freedom to settle. Otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

Well, you're wrong on all counts.
No, freedom to leave doesn't mean freedom to enter. Nobody can prevent me to leave my house, but it doesn't mean I can enter someone else's. That's just a completely absurd conclusion.
The spirit of the article is not "everyone should be able to enter any state without this state having a say", it's "no state can prevent his people from moving away". It's about states not being prisons, it's not states being forced to have open-door policy.

Also, there is a difference between "moving through" (which is free) and "moving in" (which is not). The Declaration EXPLICITELY say that you can "reside" WITHIN THE BORDERS of the state.

Both articles are very, very explicit in the terms used, and it'st not due to random chance.

Last edited:
As I already mentioned in my answer to Akka, this makes no sense: freedom to leave without freedom to enter is pointless. You might consider that - for certain states - freedom to leave is already a big step. Politics are involved. That said, a freedom to leave without a freedom to enter is utterly meaningless. So no, it does not follow.
Well, consider the following. I have a right to reproduce. Does that mean that I am allowed to lay with whoever I choose, with or without their consent? After all, the freedom to reproduce is utterly meaningless unless someone wants to reproduce with me. So therefore someone has to take me? And I am allowed to choose who that is?

Well, consider the following. I have a right to reproduce. Does that mean that I am allowed to lay with whoever I choose, with or without their consent? After all, the freedom to reproduce is utterly meaningless unless someone wants to reproduce with me. So therefore someone has to take me? And I am allowed to choose who that is?
You don't actually need an active partner anymore. Ever hear of surrogate mothers, sperm banks, and fertility clinics? Two people can have children and they don't ever need to meet.

Last edited:
Would you object to a woman wearing a scarf if she's doing chemotherapy and has either little or no hair?
Reread my previous post please. I am not against the veil because I generally dislike scarves, but because it is a religious symbol which comes with a lot of implications, some of which I laid out above.

Lexicus said:
I think that we should try to move toward a world in which borders don't prevent people from living where and as they wish.
Lexicus, as you know I don't normally read your posts, let alone respond to them, since you usually don't seem interested in having an honest conversation about these issues. Yet in your last posts you seemed surprisingly open, and we are actually closer together than you may think. The overwhelming majority of contributors on this forum are likely to agree with your statement I quoted, including those strongly opposed to the current mass immigration. I belong to the more strident voices here, and I agree with it. To me the civilizational endgame can only be that we live in a kind of global society, governed by universal rules and laws, which are based on human rights and an open-ended discussion about how we want to live and what is beneficial for mankind. Just like people can move freely within their own country today, in this scenario people would be able to move globally, to find a place which fits their desires and where their skills are required. However, we probably agree that this world lies somewhere in the far future. We are talking about a few hundred years, at least. We also agree that, yes, we should indeed try to move toward such a world.

Where we disagree is how to engineer such a world. Your position seems to be to just start allowing unlimited mass immigration from the developing world into the West, as if were already in a situation where that was unproblematic. Yet this simply cannot work out, since the conditions for it aren't met in the slightest. In fact, I'd argue that it is counter-productive, since on the one side we have too many people who were socialized in backward, illiberal cultures, who cannot contribute to a modern society and who willingly or unwillingly will only be a burden to the European social welfare systems. On the other side we have the backlash to this, leading to the rise of nativist movements and potentially the return of racism to Europe. The current mass immigration is causing huge tensions in European societies that are more likely to lead to civil war than to peaceful and mutually beneficial co-existence.

No, to engineer the kind of world you want we first have to meet the requirements and overcome the obstacles that lie in the way. Why do you think I am so focused on Islam in my posts? Because Islam is one of these obstacles. As long as political Islam and traditional Islam are so virulent within the Muslim world there is no chance we will arrive at your desired scenario. As long as a fourth of our world's population adheres to an ideology which only accepts human rights as long as they are in accordance with sharia, which teaches that Muslims are superior to everyone else, which victimizes women, homosexuals, free-thinkers and non-believers, and which has the political goal to subjugate the entire world under this ideology, we will not be able to live in your world of open-borders. I have never understood why the left finds it so difficult to criticize Islam. Not only is it, at least in its mainstream conservative form, a so obviously illiberal and oppressive ideology which goes against everything the left classically has stood for, it also impedes on the progress that we on the left generally strive for.

That is not to say that Islam is the only obstacle to an open-border world, or even the most important (the global imbalance between our countries' political, social and economic development is undoubtedly even more relevant). There are many very difficult problems we have to solve, and the only way to do that is through vigorous and honest conversation. It is extremely unhelpful if every time we want to have these conversations about the problems we face today and how to engineer a better future, people from the left pop up and cry "racism!" or "xenophobia!", just because we acknowledge that the current mass immigration from the third world isn't working out. We all want the same thing, so why not listen to and learn from each other instead of assuming the worst of other people, just because they don't happen to share your point of view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom