The Iron Will and Positivity Thread

I'm hungry sometimes, often when I'm feeling my tummy rumbling I'll drink a glass of water, and that helps me get by. I eat my larger meal first thing, and I can feel full quite easily, so a single sandwich with an egg and a slice of cheese will fill me up nicely. I don't go to bed feeling hungry at all, and I manage with my limited diet. I could easily get by on having an egg, a cup of yogurt, and a cup of strawberries three times a day and get by, but I'd want to mix up my diet more than that for nutrition.

Those things affect your feeling of satiety but they have a minuscule effect on your weight.

I don't count calories either, only in retrospect sometimes to make sure that I'm not actually overeating. I just try to eat a variety of fresh foods, lots of vegetables, limit carbs from grains, no added sugar or very little in the form of condiments, and the biggest one is only eat when I'm hungry. If you are eating healthy fats, protein and fiber you will be full before you consume too many calories.

No, I don't think 1000 calories is very much. Take a regular grilled cheese sandwich. Two slices of bread is about 150-200 calories, a tablespoon of butter is about 100, 2 ounces of cheese is about 200. That's about 500 total for one sandwich. You're telling me you could eat one sandwich in the morning and one in the afternoon for all your food the whole day and not feel hungry? It just seems like not very much food unless your a tiny person who gets full off half a sandwich. A very light breakfast of say an egg, a cup of greek yogurt and a cup of strawberries is around 300 cals. I guess you could have that three times but I'd starve.

a grilled cheese is probably the worst example you could come up with, it's pretty much nothing but carbs and fat with lots of salt and some amount of protein. white bread is bad in itself to be honest: not unhealthy per se, but nutritionally almost worthless and high in calories. around here we almost never eat that kind of bread. I mostly eat sourdough, rye, mixed, or protein-rich breads.

I mean, look at it this way. 1000 thousand calories is like 50 small cucumbers. 50 cucumbers will fill anyone up. you can apply this to so many vegetables. satiety is never a problem for me anyway since I always start my day off with complex carbs in the form of (mostly) unprocessed cereals: oats, amaranth, quinoa popcorn I make myself, spelt, bran and many others. pair that with healthy bread and you have almost a days worth of fiber and complex carbohydrates. those have a positive effect on blood sugar, unlike white bread, meaning you won't get hungry as fast. but to be honest, since I've started IM fasting I have lost all feelings of hunger. which makes sense, of course, since man in the 21st century (in the 1st world) never actually has a lack of energy. we eat when we feel appetite, not actual hunger. the feeling of proper hunger is something we're rarely confronted with. I'm not a very tiny person, I'm at around 175lbs and almost 6'1 in height. still, I get by with 1000 calories easily. it just really depends on so many factors :)

but I do agree: 1000 calories is not much at all for an entire day. many foods common in America and Europe are calory dense. I assume the average meal of the average American is a little less than 1000cal (actually, a menu with a small burger, small fries and small coke is slightly over 1000 depending on your fast food chain of choice), so for many people it would feel like eating one meal a day. which, btw, still is fine. there is even a diet revolving around this called OMAD (one meal a day), which is pretty much just a bastardization of OM fasting. still, it helps many people!

I'm hungry sometimes, often when I'm feeling my tummy rumbling I'll drink a glass of water, and that helps me get by. I eat my larger meal first thing, and I can feel full quite easily, so a single sandwich with an egg and a slice of cheese will fill me up nicely. I don't go to bed feeling hungry at all, and I manage with my limited diet. I could easily get by on having an egg, a cup of yogurt, and a cup of strawberries three times a day and get by, but I'd want to mix up my diet more than that for nutrition.

I drink tea. gives you a nice feeling on "having something in your stomach", but has absolutely 0 calories!
I agree with everything you say in the bolded part and think that it's probably the most solid nutritional advice anyone could follow, so I doubt I could tell you much more :) I follow a similiar pattern with my diet. satiety is, of course, not only related to blood sugar and fiber, but also to psychology. once we're used to a certain type of food we do not feel full if we don't consume it. my mom, for example, literally cannot go one meal without eating lots of carbs. it has to be either noodles, potatoes, bread, rice.. if she doesn't eat any of that she will not feel full, irregardless of how much food/how many calories she ate. it does not feel like a proper meal to her. for me, if a meal doesn't have any kind of proper protein source, I feel that way, too. that is a hard thing to get over.

Mine recommends 1600 calories each day, but that's for maintenance and I want to lose weight. I'm staying under 1,000 most days, like today I had a breakfast sandwich I'm calculating at being under 400 calories, and for dinner I'll have a bowl of steamed broccoli which will be about 60 calories, so my total for today should be under 450. Maybe I'll have a couple clementines later, those are about 35 each, so I can still stay well under my target. Oh yes and I'll have some prunes, maybe 100 calories, so I'm still doing well :)

@yung.carl.jung oh thank you, I understand a lot what you're saying about bodybuilding, I see what you mean about motives. I guess I was just confused for games, because I struggle to see a difference between playing games for fun or just because you enjoy doing them, to me both of those motives seem very internal? I play computer games because I enjoy playing too, I'm not trying to accomplish anything or really alleviate boredom, they're just fun to play.

well, I agree that enjoyment and fun seem to be almost the same, so let me be more specific: I play games whenever I want to play games. I might or might not enjoy it, that's not the relevant factor. right now I am modding a game in my free time. I do not enjoy the process of modding at all, it's mostly tedious work, but I really want to do it, I just really want to. it doesn't have a value-judgement attached to it, nor does it need a reason. I want to do [thing], I do [thing]. I load up a game because I want to play. I might or might not enjoy it, I might or might not be frustrated, I might or might not improve, or win, all these things are pretty irrelevant, I play for playing's sake. it's like that with many things in my life right now.. I don't really read books for the escapism anymore, or because they "make you smarter", or because being "well read" is something to strive for, I read when I want to read.

I prefer 100% whole wheat bread, I read somewhere that's the best kind you should eat, and I try for 100% whole wheat with any type of bread product I buy. My only exception is I use regular (but unbleached!) all purpose flour for my baking.

I'm not tiny either, I'm above average height at 5'6", but I'm under average weight being 140 pounds. But my life is very sedentary, so since I'm not very active I think my calorie needs are lower.

Oh I drink tea too! But I drink mine more just for pleasure, maybe one to three times a day (decaffeinated!), and I do love how they have zero to few calories! I'll drink water though if I'm feeling hungry, I've read how many times when you think you're hungry, you're really dehydrated, and drinking water helps me feel better (and I think also keeps my skin looking healthy too) For tea I need to boil some water and let it brew, then sip it since it's hot, but water I can just pour a glass and drink right away! :)

Okies I think I really understand what you're saying about games, I guess I was just confused by your phrasing before, especially since how you split things up confused me, I'm sorry. I think I play similar to you do, I just start playing a game because I want to and for no other particular reason. I never make myself play a game, but normally when I'm playing I have fun, if I'm not enjoying myself I'll usually stop and do something else, I don't like causing myself aggravation or stress.

I mean..Whole Wheat is nice, but it's simply one of an infinite spectrum of healthy breads. Wheat is not the only grain there is. Spelt is great, Rye is amazing, have you tried those? Do they have sour dough breads where you live? Those have a whole 'nother range of health (and taste!) benefits :)

I hadn't heard of de-caff tea yet, apparently it's made with some chemical solvent that is applied to the unfermented leaf, pretty fascinating stuff :)

I honestly haven't restarted my diet yet. Last time I just kept around 1200 calories a day without worrying much about exactly what I ate, and it worked well enough.

Meditation. 1 hr session each day. I’ve done one so far, but no day less that 15 minutes since my return five days ago. When I have an hour down I can decide if I want a second hour at the day’s other bookend.

Meditation. 1 hr session each day. I’ve done one so far, but no day less that 15 minutes since my return five days ago. When I have an hour down I can decide if I want a second hour at the day’s other bookend.

very nice. I've been trying to tie meditation to exercise, because I'm least jitterish after a good workout, but not to great avail yet.

I've stuck with the exercise regimen for now and only missed a single day (today, because I wasn't at home :) )! I'll continue on like always on monday. I have a lot of birthdays/parties upcoming so feeling nervous about not smoking :lol:

the fasting has been amazing, though I do get problems with the 6-hour window. especially on days where I simply don't have the opportunity to eat twice or thrice in 6h because I'm constantly busy. I've set the window to 8 hours for uni days like that and it seems to help me stick with it.

How are you goals going? Staying positive?

Well I finally bit the bullet, stopped trying to schedule my life around workouts and just get up at 5am on workout days now. In gym by 5:30, out by 6:30. That's just for weights. Luckily I have an elliptical at home so I can do any cardio whenever I want. Usually it's an hour at night, 4-5 nights a week.

Down 15 lbs in the new year. Not from working out though. I track what I eat on an app now. Working out just helps me feel better and look better. I stopped needing antacids. Not sure if it's the weight, working out, not eating fast food or cus I limit my alcohol consumption to social gatherings, but it's nice not having heartburn.

I'm going nice and slow. My goal is another 10 by end of may, and then another 10 after that before this vacation we have mid august. They say you slow down near the end though so it might take longer.

My other goal was to sleep more, which hasn't happened, I still get about 7 hours a night, but I sleep better I think.

I'm still sticking to my diet, and I'm finding many lovely alternatives to meat. I'm enjoying these Beyond Meat hamburgers and sausages more than how I used to like real meat. Overall I'm feeling really good, but I'm just not losing weight as fast as I'd like to. Oh and I'm absolutely addicted now to avocado toast.

What's wrong with real meat? Chicken and fish are very healthy and can be low calorie too. Personally I've been eating a lot of sardines for the good fats/omega 3s and protein with salads or on crackers with mustard.

I don't want to continue eating animals for a variety of reasons, so I'm working myself off of eating meat.

Avocados have good fats, and I'm getting most of my protein now from eggs and legumes :)

What's wrong with real meat? Chicken and fish are very healthy and can be low calorie too. Personally I've been eating a lot of sardines for the good fats/omega 3s and protein with salads or on crackers with mustard.

the suffering, death and rape of the environment involved in its production. if only it wasn't so goddamn good..

How are you goals going? Staying positive?

Well I finally bit the bullet, stopped trying to schedule my life around workouts and just get up at 5am on workout days now. In gym by 5:30, out by 6:30. That's just for weights. Luckily I have an elliptical at home so I can do any cardio whenever I want. Usually it's an hour at night, 4-5 nights a week.

Down 15 lbs in the new year. Not from working out though. I track what I eat on an app now. Working out just helps me feel better and look better. I stopped needing antacids. Not sure if it's the weight, working out, not eating fast food or cus I limit my alcohol consumption to social gatherings, but it's nice not having heartburn.

I'm going nice and slow. My goal is another 10 by end of may, and then another 10 after that before this vacation we have mid august. They say you slow down near the end though so it might take longer.

My other goal was to sleep more, which hasn't happened, I still get about 7 hours a night, but I sleep better I think.

had a little break because of university stuff and picked up the ball on both my diet and my regular exercise again 2 weeks ago.

really impressed by your results! keet it up :)

oh comon, chicken and fish can be very environmentally friendly. I was asking about dietary reasons though I realize I didn't ask that specifically.

They can be, definitely, if you have your chickens on a family farm and use their dung as compost. Even moreso if you feed them with your own leftovers. But that's not at all how the meat industry works, sadly. I personally don't see many non-ethical reasons to stop eating meat, pretty sure a balanced omnivore diet is still the best thing you can do for your body.

I had an eye appointment yesterday, they took my blood pressure and while it's not dangerously high it falls in the "pre-high blood pressure" range, so I'm trying to eat more vegetables and stuff, I'm trying to have salad bar for work lunch at least three times a week and to buy more vegetables at the grocery store to eat at home.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from a singular reading. Blood pressure can vary a lot within a day, like if you were stressed out or had a salty lunch or whatever. I think to actually diagnose hyper tension they're supposed to take your pressure multiple times in one visit with intervals between and average them, and then do that a few times over a few weeks.

This isn't an isolated data point. My blood pressure has been reading a little high, but not too high, for a while now. Tbh someone of my age and activity level should probably have a blood pressure on the lower end of normal so it's cause for concern. At any rate I definitely have an extremely poor diet and can only benefit from eating more leafy greens and less salt, fat, carbs.

Make sure you exercise and drink a lot of water too, flush out all that bad stuff.

Time to get back on the wagon. I overate like crazy past 4 days while my wife and kids were gone. I still hit the gym, and I wasn't eating pure junk food but I did a lot of cooking, ate way too much steak and green beans last night, ate too much jambalaya over the weekend.

I had high blood pressure when inflammation markers in my blood were out the wazoo. Went away when inflammation went down.

On a personal level, I've found blood pressure to be more responsive to physical activity than diet. But tackling both is obviously best.

The thing is, I already do exercise a good amount (I bike 20 miles a week to and from work, and getting back into the stride of doing 14 mile hikes on the weekend) so if anything I would expect my blood pressure to be on the low end of normal.

Oh, the other thing is copious weed smoking, I'm pretty sure that jacks my blood pressure up too. But I'm less prepared to stop that than to make dietary changes which frankly need to happen even if my blood pressure was perfect.

Top Bottom