The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it in italics and add "Italics mine" where giving the citation.

OOps. MLA citation? Don't even know what that is. I was just giving general advice.

Quick MLA citation question I can't find the answer to.

If I want to emphasize a particular fragment/portion of a larger quote, how do I do this? Do I underline it, bold it, italicize? What is the official way to do this, or is this not something that should be done at all?

It's been over a decade since I cited anything using MLA guidelines, but IIRC you'd italicize the text you want to emphasize, and then add "(emphasis mine)" or "(italics mine)" immediately after the portion of the text that you italicized. Like this:

"The most important scientific revolutions all include, as their only common feature, the dethronement of human arrogance (emphasis mine) from one pedestal after another of previous convictions about our centrality in the cosmos." (Gould, 42)

Here's a rather stupid question I think: The toilet seat broke off and we don't have a spare one but we'll be getting another one soon. So anyways, without the seat I tend to fall in the toilet. If I was a male I could just aim at it but I'm a female. Any suggestions?

use the old toilet seat of course. Just because the screws broke off (they are only plastic screws so they tend to break off), doesn't mean you still can't put the actual seat on top of the toilet. Just be careful getting on and off and don't move around too much and the seat should stay in place.

Query: Is anyone here familiar with the music of Boards of Canada? If so, what would you recommend as a good first album to purchase? I'm just discovering them now and need a bit of direction. :cool:

Query: Is anyone here familiar with the music of Boards of Canada? If so, what would you recommend as a good first album to purchase? I'm just discovering them now and need a bit of direction. :cool:

I'm very familiar with them.

Start with geogaddi. Truly a fabulous album.

I have all their albums, and some rare stuff too.:D

Which religion has the best WiFi in the afterlife anyway?

Which religion has the best WiFi in the afterlife anyway?

Well, Buddhism would, but it doesn't have an afterlife as far as I'm aware. But they're big on the fundamental interconnectedness of all things.

Does anybody here know the term 'Sioux' to be offensive? A relative of mine from out west (retired university professor) insists it means "snake eyes" and is derogatory and that you should refer to the name of the individual tribe instead (for example, the Lakota).

Oh yeah, then she lectured me on the inappropriateness of 'tribe'.

Does anybody here know the term 'Sioux' to be offensive? A relative of mine from out west (retired university professor) insists it means "snake eyes" and is derogatory and that you should refer to the name of the individual tribe instead (for example, the Lakota).

Oh yeah, then she lectured me on the inappropriateness of 'tribe'.

IIRC, Sioux, and a number of the common names for Indian groups, were assigned by their enemies. Or just adopted for ease of use by the whites, rather than being those people's own names for themselves. Sometimes the whites would have a temporary alliance with one group, that group would give their derogatory name for the enemy group, and as far as the whites were concerned, that name stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom