The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Honestly even on Normal speed Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina wind up in wacky places. Think it's a combination of big starting armies, starting navies, and (usually) not being at war with any major civs. Ironically, I see a decent amount of time on the 1700 AD start the Second Wave of Colonialism starting from the just liberated South American colonies.
I once got invaded by Argentina as Japan.

I once got invaded by Japan as Greece (my empire was in Australia though). My cities were still defended by archers, so I was quite scared... until I saw that they only brought a bunch of bombards. No other units whatsoever.
Yeah that's a common problem with AI naval invasions, they very often just fill their boats with exclusively Siege Weapons.

@Leoreth is there a quick and easy fix for this? Imo for naval invasions it makes more sense to completely forgo any siege whatsoever than what the AI usually does since you can use ships to bombard defenses away.

That should be a bug report, with a save from before this is triggered if you have it.

Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG
Two free promotion events in a row! :eek:

I haven't researched Companies yet though, so I can't produce Pikemen.

So yeah, this... I was watching the replay of a Korea game when I suddenly saw a whole bunch of yellow over in Europe. At first I thought the area was split between Spain and Holy Rome, but couldn't discern a border. Then I opened world builder and it turned out that it all belonged to Spain! This was around 1525. This corresponds exactly to the time at which Charles V was emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and king of Spain (as Charles I). And in 1580 there will be a Netherlands declaring independence from Spain, just like in real history. The historical accuracy of this mod is insane at times.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Edit: added a real screenshot

Last edited:
Honestly even on Normal speed Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina wind up in wacky places. Think it's a combination of big starting armies, starting navies, and (usually) not being at war with any major civs. Ironically, I see a decent amount of time on the 1700 AD start the Second Wave of Colonialism starting from the just liberated South American colonies.
Yeah, I always find it very irksome when I'm playing as Germany, France or England aiming at the Scramble for Africa but Argentina, Colombia and Brazil have decided to suddenly become colonial powers outside of their own continent. That said, it's kind of neat. But then, why does America never behave that way. Always going after Canadian territory instead of initiating a colonial empire abroad?

Edit: I tried to take an actual screenshot but when I pasted it in paint it returned my wallpaper for some reason...

You should be able to find the screenshots you took in ...Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/ScreenShots.

Yeah, I always find it very irksome when I'm playing as Germany, France or England aiming at the Scramble for Africa but Argentina, Colombia and Brazil have decided to suddenly become colonial powers outside of their own continent. That said, it's kind of neat. But then, why does America never behave that way. Always going after Canadian territory instead of initiating a colonial empire abroad?

Funnier is when Brazil goes for places like Congo and Mozambique. Gotta keep the slave trade and slavery going i guess.

View attachment 525340

I just rolled this very interesting Phoenicia spawn.
Explains why on Eurovision Greeks always vote for Cyprus, and Cypriots always vote for Greeks! :band:

Well, for once the Greeks behaved correctly in the game.

On the island of Alashiya, the kingdoms were long under the influence of the Hittites, but after the Bronze Age Collapse around 1200 BCE, the same island came under heavy influence from Achaia, Mykenians and later Greeks. It was later disputed with Assyrians and Persians claiming to rule Cyprus; and the Phoenicians also had trading colonies there... but Cyprus had a dominant Greek culture until Rome came along.

(On the other hand, the Greek influence on the Ionian coast was pretty disputed for the same time, and when players settle Byzantion as the second city in 1600 BCE, this is a very unhistorical behaviour because it is a thousand years too early.)

Same game, more weird stuff: the Ottomans didn't conquer any cities in Anatolia. They started as usual but instead of attacking Constantinople or Ankara (shouldn't it flip by the way?), Mehmed decided to go for Jerusalem.
Spoiler :

(Actually, I'm not sure if these belong in the bug reports thread or here so sorry if this isn't the right place)

Top Bottom