The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Retried 6 times for the Ottoman UHV, because the AI knows it and pillages the road to Constantinople, so i can't take it in 1 turn.

God danm you, Civ and your omniscient AI

Look what I found hiding in the desert
Spoiler :
2023-11-23_16-33-51.png

It looks like it's some Freeman ambushing Sardukar.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

What is it? An incorrectly rendered unit? Which one? This looks like something for me to fix.

What is it? An incorrectly rendered unit? Which one? This looks like something for me to fix.
It's an archer
You know, sometimes units move among the map, then you selecting them - they move from far far away across the map to title where they should be. It's happen almost in every game (with workers mostly).
I have not noticed any problems related to this
It's just that in this case one of the archers got lost and got stuck in quicksand.

It's an archer
You know, sometimes units move among the map, then you selecting them - they move from far far away across the map to title where they should be. It's happen almost in every game (with workers mostly).
I have not noticed any problems related to this
It's just that in this case one of the archers got lost and got stuck in quicksand.
That used to happen to me but doesn't happen anymore. I wonder what it is.

I love playing the Greeks since it provides a nice cycle of prosperity and desperate survival, but also because it can result in very strange situations. Some of my favorites were when the Persians converted most of my cities to Zoroastrian, probably using a great prophet, which meant I became Zoroastrian Greece! The Turkic civilization were my on again/off again friends until they took Mecca and converted to Islam.

Then there was the time that the Holy Roman Empire became Orthodox due to me rushing the Ethics tech. This also was the first game I managed to kill the Ottoman invasion, turning them into a vassal in the Caucuses that even converted to Orthodoxy for a while. I unfortunately stagnated behind the upstart civs.

The current one is where I ate the Roman Empire during our first war, leaving only a short-lived rump state in Hispania. Orthodoxy was founded in around 200 BC and the Persians took an old Roman city in southern France, which helped when I had to face the barbarian invasions on my own. I've found that the best general survival strategy for Greece is to focus on getting Currency and Law, then Ethics to get the Greek ability and Orthodoxy Monasticism combo, and finally beeline to Firearms and stockpile weapons.

Are there any other civilizations that give this same kind of experience?

Playing as the Arabs -but started as Babylon. The key aim was to found as many religions as possible in areas that would eventually be historical for the Arabs...and then to get shrines in each + Dome of the Rock.
Key is racing to Judaisim so it is founded in Babylon (1W of the stone) so it can't be razed/flipped, then sending settlers to found cities at the eastern edge of the Arabs historical areas -and one to Spain where instead of Cordoba or Seville you found Sippur for Catholicism. Then give away all the requisite techs for Academia to Portugal to limit its power + the benefits of the Protestant shrine.

1702577358807.png
1702577582104.png

Maybe Babylon? You can get some truly ridiculous tech lead (see here), while also being constantly threatened by conquerors and newly born civs.
I can confirm playing Babylon into the 2000s AD is a wild ride of a game, one of the funnest ones I've had honestly. :) Go for it!

Serenissima Lubiana

Holy mountain quest for Vikings...

Attachments

• TrickyVikingHolyMountain.PNG
    TrickyVikingHolyMountain.PNG
    12.7 MB · Views: 160
Top Bottom