The Party That Doesn't Want You To Vote

Pontiuth Pilate

Republican Jesus!
The Washington state Republicans (smarting over their close defeat in the 2004 elections) decided it was time to pull out the dirty tricks. And what better way than sleazy voter suppression?

Seattle PI said:
The GOP looked up addresses for commercial storage facilities and postal-box services in the Yellow Pages and cross-referenced them with voter-registration addresses to generate an initial challenge list, Vance said. The party then dispatched researchers with digital cameras to confirm the illegal registrations, he said.

But the Watermarke mistakenly ended up on the final list, even though it's a three-story brick apartment building with no signs of commercial activity on the premises.

So did the single-family house at 902 First St. in Kirkland, its owner, Steve Meuter, said Friday; the registrations of both he and his wife, Linda, have been challenged, he said.

"We got these miserable letters," he said. "For us to correct this, we have to go to downtown Seattle, and God knows what kind of line you're going to stand in down there."

A regular voter and a resident of Kirkland for 30 years, Meuter said he's lived with his wife at 902 First St. since 2002.

The GOP system flagged the registration of Barbara Taylor at 3600 Stone Way N. in Seattle, the address of a Public Storage Co. locker facility. But Taylor said Friday that is where she lives: She's a manager for the company and has lived in an apartment on the site for 12 years.

Voters who did not list proper residential addresses on their registrations can submit valid ones today and vote freely Tuesday. Otherwise, challenged poll voters will be given provisional ballots Tuesday that will be set aside pending hearings by the county Canvassing Board prior to certification of the vote Nov. 29; absentee ballots from challenged voters will be treated similarly.

Concerted efforts to purge voters from the rolls -- especially GOP efforts -- are nothing new. A 2004 report by professor Chandler Davidson and other researchers at Rice University in Houston documents numerous "ballot security programs" mounted by Republicans across the country in the past 50 years. Most of them were targeted at black and other minority voters who traditionally vote Democratic, the authors said.

And Harvard Law School professor Heather Gerken, an authority in the field, said Friday, "There's always one side that's in favor of making it easier to vote, and then on the other side there are people who argue about integrity and fraud. It's always Democrats on the first side and Republicans on the second, and this is not a coincidence."

The arguments are important and real, she said, but colored by self-interest. Generally, she said, higher voter turnouts favor Democratic candidates, lower ones Republican candidates.

The purge campaigns often are driven by an educated guess about which voters would be disqualified by them, she said. The Sotelo challenges, for example, might be expected to fall most heavily on more transient, lower-income voters, who belong to a socioeconomic group that leans Democratic, she said.

"The odds that very wealthy people are using a mail box (as a registration address) are slim," she said.

But Vance denied the GOP challenges were aimed at any particular group of voters.

Actually I doubt whether there is any demographic guru working behind the scenes here. It's just a universal Republican tenet: stop people from voting and we increase our chances.

This is voter obstruction at its worst. Just take a random list of voters, and file obstructions without even verifying the charges beforehand. They are automatically reduced to "provisional" voters. And their votes will never be counted unless they come to court to prove they live where they say they do. How many will bother? How many will even vote if their registration is challenged?

And if most of them turn out to be poor or transient, well, that's even better right?

Isn't there some sort of Partisan Hackery All-Star team you should be playing for right now?

Anyway, I don't see how you can reject that this is demographically motivated. I don't think you'd be seeing the GOP doing this if we didn't have decades of statistics that show that they do worse with higher turnout. Whatever you think of a party, their fundamental purpose is still to get elected, and they will naturally do whatever it takes.

Pontiuth Pilate said:
The Washington state Republicans (smarting over their close defeat in the 2004 elections) decided it was time to pull out the dirty tricks. And what better way than sleazy voter suppression?

Didn't they win under two machine counts, and only lose using the less accurate hand counting method? hmmmmmmmmmm

Also, didn't the votes that the dems regain in the less accurate hand count almost exclusively come from ultra-liberal King County? hmmmmmmmmm

Election stealers!

I guess instead of investigating suspicious names, we should just start registering dead people like the Democrats do or maybe hand out cigarettes to people that come and vote.

Facts be damned time to start the Republican witchhunt.

rmsharpe said:
I guess instead of investigating suspicious names, we should just start registering dead people like the Democrats do or maybe hand out cigarettes to people that come and vote.

Or start getting voters on the buses (unless it's a hurricane, of course)...

SeleucusNicator said:
Isn't there some sort of Partisan Hackery All-Star team you should be playing for right now?

Whereas you are entirely nonpartisan and indiscriminate in your hackery.

Whatever you think of a party, their fundamental purpose is still to get elected, and they will naturally do whatever it takes.

Are you entirely amoral, or do you take pleasure in acting the idiot? Serious question.
Moderator Action: Flaming - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Pontiuth Pilate said:
Whereas you are entirely nonpartisan and indiscriminate in your hackery.

Well, there are some of us that don't believe either party has a monopoly on nastiness.

Thanks for helping us prove half our point. :goodjob:

Pontiuth Pilate said:
Are you entirely amoral, or do you take pleasure in acting the idiot? Serious question.

:lol: :lol: I know that question wasn't for me, but I couldn't help it. Do you honestly think that there is some divinely moral and just motive behind either parties action? I Mean I know that according to you EVERYTHING ANY REPUBLICAN EVER DID EVER is a horrible cesspool of idiocy, but do you honesly think that democrats are really just "fighting for the people" and not for the "criminal vote" that they know they would win?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seriously never in my life seen somebody so partisan.

Thanks for totally misinterpreting what I wrote.

If someone's comment on such a sleazy tactic is simply a dismissive and noncondemnatory "they'll do whatever it takes to get elected" he or she is either a partisan hack (e.g. h4ppy, rmsharpe, you) or an amoral hack (e.g. Seleucus).

Tank_Guy#3 said:
They don't want you to vote, hmmmm that's a first.
Since when? There are guys going to jail in NH for interfearing with get out the vote operations. Or was this sarcasm that I missed again?:sad:

Pontiuth Pilate said:
Thanks for totally misinterpreting what I wrote.

If someone's comment on such a sleazy tactic is simply a dismissive and noncondemnatory "they'll do whatever it takes to get elected" he or she is either a partisan hack (e.g. h4ppy, rmsharpe, you) or an amoral hack (e.g. Seleucus).

First of all, I don't think I'm a partisan hack given that I don't give half a crap about politics (apathetic towards the process).

Second, Could you clear something up that I didn't understand from the article? What is the GOP doing that is illegal? I mean, according to Washington law, are people allowed to have storage facilities, etc. listed as their address? I mean I know that having as many dead people, felons, etc., registered as possible is good for the dems, but seeing as you are such a non-partisan person I'm sure that part doesn't matter to you. Could you maybe link to the RCW that describes what the republicans are doing is illegal, or possibly a link to the RCW that says that people with storage facilities, etc. for residential addresses are allowed to have them as such?

It seems to me that it would be a shame if an election were decided by an extremely narrow margin in a (less accurate then machine) hand recount, say by a 133 votes, and then it was found that, for instance, 1678 of them were cast illegally... not that anything like that has ever happened in Washington recently.

I'm saying only this: that the tactic is blatantly aimed at voter suppression, and any claim to "integrity" or "cleaning up the voter rolls" is total bull****, a veneer of legitimacy that doesn't even pass the smell test. They didn't even bother to verify their charges before going to court - read the article.

Why how DARE Republicans investigate voter fraud! Everyone knows that the Democrats are squeaky clean and wouldn't dare commit such a thing!
:rolleyes:

Grow up Pilate before you post.
Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

DBear said:
Why how DARE Republicans investigate voter fraud! Everyone knows that the Democrats are squeaky clean and wouldn't dare commit such a thing!
:rolleyes:

Grow up Pilate before you post.
If thats what they were doing, then fine. But that is not the intent. The intent is to supress voting in democratic districts. When one side does this sort of thing just to gain advantage it is bad no matter who does it. Now, it it comes out that a large majority of those challeged are, in fact, fraudulent then I will applaud, but not yet.

Moreover the very fact that so many hardcore Republicans are refusing to condemn this behavior makes their accusations of partisanship a little ridiculous, don't you think? :rolleyes:

And again, DBear, the statement that they are "investigating voter fraud" is bullcrap and you know it. They are sandblasting Democratic districts with voter challenges in a move that is only slightly less subtle than their other craptastic voter suppression efforts. Check the picture, DBear. That look like a mailbox to you? Think the 60 residents who have lived there for years are defrauding the Washington elections board?

When one side does this sort of thing just to gain advantage it is bad no matter who does it.

Try teaching that to Republicans, amigo. To them EVERYTHING is partisan. American Girl dolls is connected to a company that posts a few lines of suspect librul (abortionist!) rhetoric on its website? BOYCOTT! The judge in charge of the DeLay case once gave money to the Democratic Party? RECUSE! Republicans all over the nation are getting indicted for criminal corruption? IT'S ALL A DASTARDLY POLITICAL WITCHHUNT BY SORE LOSER DIMMORATS!

You think that's an exaggeration of rhetoric from the likes of DBear?

Kayak said:
Now, it it comes out that a large majority of those challeged are, in fact, fraudulent then I will applaud, but not yet.

They found 1800 fraudulent voters (confirmed by a judge, this isn't just something the GOP came up with) in the last governer's election in Washington.

Seeing as how the last election in washington was essentially decided by these illegal votes in ultra-liberal king county (as well as 97 republican votes thrown out by king-county hand-counters for 'signature problems') I can see why the GOP would want some election reform in Washington.

Imagine you win the intial election. You win the machine recount. and then you suddenly lose when the (much less accurate) hand counting method is used, and you know that 1800 of them were guarenteed to be fradulent, and you know that at least 90 votes for your side were thrown out by corrupt hand-counters in the most liberal county outside of San Francisco. You'd want to ensure accurate adherence to registration rules as well.

I wonder Pilate, how you felt about all those republican votes thrown out by democrats for "signature problems"? I wonder too if you felt that those 1800 proven fraudulent votes should have been thrown out? I mean seeing as how you are the very definition of nonpartisan political ethics, you surely were dissappointed with the judge's decision not to throw those 1800 votes out, and I'm sure your angry with your fellow democrats (that is if you consider yourself a democrat, I usually cant tell because your posts are so nonpartisan) who found magical "signature problems" on 97 republican votes?

Top Bottom