The Perfect Sandwhich

The "Warpus delight" sandwich:

1 slice of Polish white rye bread (untoasted)
1 generous layer of hellman's mayonnaise
2 strips of crispy bacon
1 slice of melted jalapeno havarti cheese
a bit of salt and pepper
1 layer of chopped up onions (white)
1 layer of tomato
1 layer of Polish mild mustard
7 slices of Montreal smoked meat from Schwartz's
1 slice of Polish white rye bread (toasted)

pickle on the side

replace montreal smoked meat with black forest ham for a "warpus delight light"

Excellent sandwich.

I would subsititute the onions for some pickles though. Theres no job an onion can do that pickles can't do better when it comes to sandwiches.

Excellent sandwich.

I would subsititute the onions for some pickles though. Theres no job an onion can do that pickles can't do better when it comes to sandwiches.

I like pickles, but for some reason never put them in my sandwiches.

The Warpus does sound good.

The Ruben is also an awesome sandwhich, and i'm not really sure why...since the ingredients, by themselves, are all kinda gross.

This is the Downtown Special:

Bread: Kaiser Roll, Hoagie Loaf or another thick bread (wheat and white won't work)
Pepper Jack Cheese
Colby Cheese
Roast Beef
Sliced Red Onion
Lettuce (or Spinich)
Tomato
Banana Pepper
Tortilla Chips or Pringles (to give sammich a crunch)
Spicy brown mustard

serve with chips, pickle and a frosty mug of Root Beer. Plop in front of TV sporting event.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Warpus Delight and Downtown Special sound delicious.

I am a fan of lots of sandwiches but sometimes a simple BLT is good for me.

My local dive bar makes ths.

1 slice toasted white bread
1 slice of salt and peppered mozzerella
5 slices of bacon.
1 fried green tomato
mixed greens
pesto mayonaise
1 slice of toasted white bread.

It is pretty good.

Also, the Monty Cristo is good, but I have to be in the mood.

Ingredients

1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
2/3 cup water
1 egg
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 slices white bread
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices turkey
4 slices ham
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

Heat 5 inches of oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk into the egg mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.

Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham on another, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. Cut sandwiches into quarters, and secure with toothpicks.

Dip each sandwich quarter in the batter so that all sides are coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove toothpicks and arrange on a serving tray. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/monte-cristo-sandwich---the-real-one/Detail.aspx

I also like a black russian, which is just a Reuban with roast beef instead of corned beef.

I once got a bacon and cheese sandwich that was deep fried with powdered sugar on it. It sounded repulsive but I had to order it as part of my ongoing effort to have a heart attack at 25, and also because I'm foodcurious. It was actually rather ok.

The Monte Cristos I get are not usually deep fried, they just use french toast (sauteed in a skillet) instead of bread and the then drible some maple syrup over it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

I eat them for brunch if I get them.

Does anyone else like avacado on your sandwiches? I have had it on a few, they were all good experiances.

I love sprouts, though I got out of the habit for so many years. Far easier to use than lettuce and lasts in your fridge a whole lot longer.

Good for you too.

Pastrami sandwich from The Hat.

I like The Hat and for the west coast they do have good Pastrami but it isn't any where close to a good Jewish deli in New York. Go to Katz's deli, get their Pastrami, and then tell me how the Hat stacks up. Not even close.

Still, since you just don't have the 100 year old delis in SoCal like they do back east the Hat is one of the better offerings out here. I like to stop off there when I'm on my way up to big bear or when I'm in LA/OC.

Does anyone else like avacado on your sandwiches? I have had it on a few, they were all good experiances.

When I was in Chile, they put avocados on everything I ate, including sandwiches and most notably hot dogs.

I was indifferent to avocados before the trip - the Chileans made me like them a lot.

peanut butter with a banana in a hot dog bun. Leaves a hand open for beverage.

When I was in Chile, they put avocados on everything I ate, including sandwiches and most notably hot dogs.

I was indifferent to avocados before the trip - the Chileans made me like them a lot.

We put avocados on all sorts of stuff here in California too. They're great as long as you get the right type of avocado and it is properly ripe so that it is soft.

I like The Hat and for the west coast they do have good Pastrami but it isn't any where close to a good Jewish deli in New York.

I love New York delis, but the idea that they have some automatic advantage just for being in New York died long ago. The truth is there are so many retired and or relocated to warmer climate New York Jews here in the South for instance, that I really can't tell the difference anymore.

New York still has the ambiance which may lead to an overall better experience, but that’s just snobby hipster stuff ;)

BTW, I haven't seen anyone mention a good french dip.

I don't remember the name but I saw the place that claims to have invented them in Los Angles on Man vs. Food, it looked awesome.

Top Bottom