The questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cato Institute

Crackpots, as your dichotomy would have it, or just in general, expect bias on pretty much anything from them, as is common with a lot of Washington "Think Tanks." Also known for promoting really stupid stuff in school (primary/secondary) curricula.

Does taking cough medicine in regular dosage when you are not sick have any serious health effects?

I want to watch Coraline but I don't have 3d glasses. Is there any way to Mcgyver them? Failing that where would one acquire 3d glasses?

To native English speakers: is the following sentence correct (in grammatical sense)?

"Corollary to the study, author presents following conclusions, observations and proposals:"

Is it possible for someone to be mute but not deaf?

Finishing my HSC in Australia i have bucketloads of free time to pursue whatever i may like.

What are some reads or sources that comprehensively explains the political spectrum?
Ive read wikipedia and it is beside my understanding.

Also i'd also like to learn about the EU and its politics, anyone know any good reads or sources for the average person's understanding?

Any help is largely appreciated

Reading this forum will probably help a lot with both of those. I don't know of any books that would be helpful, but I would think that just reading the news (from a few sources) would greatly increase your understanding pretty quickly, if you already have a basic understanding. Hope that's helpful.

The Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank based in Washington DC. I've been looking at a few of their articles and can't figure out whether they are reputable or crackpots. I know theres a lot of political science and economics students on here, so does anyone have any opinions on the institute? The wiki page obviously cannot be trusted.

Can their work be trusted to certain degree, or is it all completely biased?
I would be careful with Cato. It's rather more reputable than the other libertarian think-tanks, but their policy conclusions should be treated with caution.

The most reliable of the popular think-tanks are Brookings, the Urban Institute, and the Tax Policy Center. Heritage and Cato can be too strong in their policy recommendations and shamelessly push their agenda, but they are bastions of caution when compared to some of the other right-wing groups...

(The left-wing groups are no better, mind. Though they often have the redeeming quality of tirelessly advocating for the poor.)

Cheers for the help regarding the Cato institute guys. :goodjob:

What is that position called in a court or household, the person who sort of "makes everything work?" I generally associate the position with Baldassare Castiglione, but I can't seem to find it being used in reference to him anywhere.

Is "facilitator" the word you are looking for, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom