The Renewal

Verarde

Pondering Wearing A Hat
74.037681, 106.611328
November 23, 2061

The two guards at the outpost watched as the truck bore down on the gateway. Eyeing each other, they strolled out, making sure their AK-47s were at the ready. Even after so many years, the gun was still a favorite among armed forces. They had been radioed about this arrival before, but it never hurt to be careful. Spies were everywhere.
The truck slowed to a stop, and time seemed to stand still as the winds blew the snow. The one guard known as A78 shivered, and bundled his coat more tightly around him. His partner, A79, stepped up to the truck.
“Do you have your papers?” he spoke, in fluent English. A prospective guard was not allowed to even be seen for an interview for this job if he did not have a perfect grasp of multiple languages, including French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese. This limited the number of applicants, but it also gave the employer a better idea of who was more driven and focused.
The man in the passenger seat leaned out of the window and spoke in Italian. “I am Mr. K. Of course I have my papers.”
A78 started and then spoke in French. “Mr. K? Our apologies sir, but this is protocol.”
“Yes, yes.” This was in Spanish.
A78 and A79 glanced at each other. “May we…check the contents in the back?”
Mr. K smiled. “Of course. By all means.”
A78 stepped gingerly to the back. There were some scattered boxes and blankets. The boxes were stamped with letters and numbers. He nodded to himself. All seemed in order. After all, this was Mr. K. He walked to the front of the truck.
“All clear. You can go on through. I’m sure we’ve kept you here long enough.” He spoke that in French.
Mr. K paused. A78 and A79 tensed. K spoke in Russian. “Thank you. I will be sure to commend you both.”
A78 stuck out his hand. “No, thank you.”
K seemed surprised. He stuck out his hand and pumped vigorously.
They relaxed, and A78 walked back to the gatehouse, and pressed the button which would begin the complicated series of unlocking that would open the gate. A79 waved the truck through and walked back to the gatehouse. A78 was already alerting the next outpost about the false Mr. K. He, the driver, and undoubtedly the task force hidden underneath the blankets and in the boxes would soon be met by land mines that could be activated and deactivated from a distance. If they survived that, automatic flamethrowers would keep them warm until machine guns finished strafing the area.
A78 smirked. “His Italian, Spanish and Russian are excellent. They must have been watching us for a while now. That and knowing all the words was a pretty nice job as well. Hats off to those Brits.”
A79 grinned. “Too bad that they didn’t catch the final part.”
“The handshake always gets them.”
Explosions and screams filled the night air, barely rising over the wind. The sudden light was an odd contrast to the coldness of the immense building that loomed over the local terrain. The world’s first zirconium plant, capable of producing 20 times as much power as a nuclear plant and theoretically much safer. Zirconium after all, was not radioactive, and only an ounce was necessary to power the plant and the city of Moscow.
In theory.

Historians estimate that these events took place about 5000 years after the preceding events.

Gordan crawled out of the river, ready to collapse. The trials were only a month away, and he didn’t feel quite prepared for the swimming portion. He knew that the running was his strongest section, and as for the wrestling, well, he was better than most. Most thought that he was locked in to the Lower Council, if not the High Council, and some faithful few called his name for the auspicious position of Tribe Leader. He brushed some stray drops from his face and began jogging his way east, towards the camp that his tribe had set up. They had been following this river for some time now, and many of the tribesmen and their families were thinking of finally settling down. He had to admit he agreed with them. The river was excellent for commerce, and it would enable trade with any other tribes they happened to meet.
It took him only 25 minutes to make his way back to the camp, a good time considering the distance was a little over four miles. And he was barely out of breath! His confidence shot up at this revelation. He had the running in the bag!
Various tribesmen nodded to him as he made his way to the Circle, the group that directed the actions of the tribe. He stopped on the outer edge to listen in. His leader stood in the center, calmly deflecting the words being fired at him from his most staunch opposer, Jonathen.
“Daniel, my ideas are sound! And if you cannot understand them, then it is obvious that you are not fit to lead our tribe!”
Daniel spoke in a measured voice, his words dropping like trees to the ground. “If you cannot deal with my leadership, then I suggest you leave.”
He turned to the rest of the Circle. “Gather the tribe. I have an announcement to make.”
Jonathen grew angrier. “Do not ignore me! My father and his father were much better than you! You only became leader because my father took pity on you!”
Daniel continued walking away. Jonathen took the better course of action and stalked in the opposite direction, kicking the grass as he went.
Gordan hurried to catch up with his leader. “Daniel, what are you going to do?”
“You’ll have to wait and find out for yourself, along with everyone else, my young friend.”
Gordan stopped. “I’ll gather everyone around your tent, Daniel!” He took off.

1 hour later.

“We have the river to our west, and it also runs north and south as far as the eye can see. Across the river, we have everyone’s favorite meal.”
The crowd laughed. Daniel smiled.
“We can use those cattle as a never ending source of food. Our tribe will grow and be happy.”
He pointed to the rudimentary markings that marked where the tribe was, where the cattle were, the river, and finally, a small circle across the river directly to the south of the tribe. “This tribe is much smaller than ours. But perhaps they will have something to give us. All we need is to show that we are peaceful wanderers, ready to settle down nearby, and they will help us.”
He turned back to the crowd. “But I will need your help! Tomorrow, we will hold the trials. We will decide who is the best to work our fields, who will build our houses, and who might explore our world.”
Gordan felt his heart leap at the prospect of exploring the world. That sounded much more exciting than building houses or tilling fields. Quickly, he plotted out what would be the obvious reasoning behind the choosing. Whoever could swim needed upper body strength, and those people would be best for working the fields. The wrestlers would likely begin building housing, and the runners…well they would likely be explorers! Gordan’s mind began churning at all the wonderful opportunities he would have…then was shocked out of his fantasy by an ill-meaning hand on his shoulder. It was Jonathen.
“I can’t stand being here. I am the better runner, so I will lead the scouting expedition. You need to stay out of my way.” His hot and foul breath blasted into Gordan’s face. Gordan stood strong against his foe.
“We shall see.”
Jonathen smirked. “Pfft. Yeah, you will.” He walked off. As he did, Gordan muttered under his breath.

“Oh yes…I will.”

Introduction
Hello and welcome to my second story ever! This is a reboot of this story, one that I began, but never finished, partly due to the lack of screenshots, also due to the fact that the in-game time I was writing was nowhere near the in-game time I was playing. Now, it is almost 2 years later, and I feel that my writing quality has improved much during this period. Hopefully you'll be able to see this.

Why I'm Writing This (Yes, There Is A Reason)
I've been wanting to get back to basics, if you will. In the Civ4 S&T forums, I noted a lot of RFC stories, a lot of Realpolitik stuff, and also a lot of stories that got started but never went anywhere! I've known for a while now that I've wanted to do a tale, and I felt that I couldn't do it better anywhere except good ol' basic Civilization 3 Conquests, the game I've grown up playing. Another thought was, "Wow. Civ 3 S&T is dead. And what is alive, isn't really kicking.

I wanted a story that kept people coming back. Good, quality writing (I hope). Pictures that tell the tales of people who did amazing things within their tribe. And the opportunity to expand my writing ways a bit.

Synopsis
The Renewal is a tale of a tribe, making their way in the world after an event caused the world to drastically change. It is set in our world, Earth, and all events are fictional. What this event was, why it happened, and who caused it will be explained as time marches on. Let's just say it will be interesting.

Stuff
Anyway, as I continue playing this game, I'll reveal more about who I am, my opponents and such. Here are the parameters for this game:

Regent
Huge
Continents
70% Ocean
4 Billion Years
Temperate
Normal
Restless
15 Opponents

It's played in C3C.

I hope you enjoy my humble little tale of

The Renewal.

Chapters:

Oh yeah, one other important item of note...

Updates will not be on a regular basis. I don't want to rush anything out there, and later regret it. In return for your patience, I hope to give you an enjoyable reading and viewing experience.

before I forget: I will be playing this as I go, so if I get any suggestions as to gameplay, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

So, wait, are the events later in the story 5000 years after or before 2061?

You're America, right?

One other note. I don't answer questions about what's going on, unless I deem it important. :p Chox, I will answer yours about the time and stuff. The second and third sections are what would be chronologically thought of as 7061, so yes, 5000 years after 2061. You'll just have to wait for the reason why.

What, the civ you're playing as isn't important? :lol:

You're America, right?

I kinda hope our host is playing the Hittites, m'self ^_^; (They being an often neglected civ -- and not even that good in this game, as far as I can recall -- but fascinating and mysterious.)

Subbed :)
(my first Civ 3 story subscription ;))

Does nobody recognizes the color? (I don't since it is to long a go I played Civ 3 and I never had C3C)

I think it's America because he has three units at the start. Of course, he could have modded the game to keep us guessing. :)

The Hittites are a darker blue than that.

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that:

Yes, this is continuing. I've just been busy what with the holiday, and all my spare time has been spent either writing up to a point where I can start playing or working on GOTM 117.

I finished GOTM 117 today, actually (quite unexpectedly--I won :D) and I've already another 1200 words down with some more plot and stuff, but I would like to have one massive update, or a few small updates ready, before I go ahead and do some more. Anyway, back to writing now (I do my best work at night).

lurker's comment: My usual subscription post, with an added flair...

May the Smiley Face of Destiny smile upon thee, Verarde. :goodjob:

Well i'm curious.

Chapter Two - Destiny
These events took place approximately 8 hours later.

“I understand Jonathen’s reasoning. We have always been a tribe that’s been on the move, but it’s time to make a better life for everyone. I think Daniel made the right decision.”
Gordan listened as his friend Tycho discoursed about the pros and cons to their wider circle of friends, all of whom were ready for the trials the next day. Nataly, the one with the best head for numbers. Matthias, the strongest wrestler of them all. And Penni, the artistic one. They all had trained together for years, and they were ready.
The fire crackled, illuminating each face.
“Jonathen is stuck in the past. We need to move on. We’ve heard of other tribes who have begun settling down. Building cities, making names for themselves. Now, it is our turn.”
Heads nodded, all agreeing with the theory their friend was presenting.
“You know what happens tomorrow. It’s our chance to make our tribe known! So let’s get some rest. You’ll need it, because I’m going to win.”
They all laughed. Nataly’s tent was on the way to Gordan’s, and she accompanied him. Matthias gallantly held out his arm to Penni, who chuckled and squeezed it affectionately. Tycho watched them all leave, then he turned to the last one remaining, Rose. With a wry smile, she hoisted herself off of the ground and took his hand.
“What do you think of Jonathen?” she asked.
“Jonathen? Like I said, he’s a good man but misguided. Look, we’re all young. We can’t be impulsive like so many are. Thinking our situations through and the possibilities will always be smarter than rushing headlong into something that could very well hurt us in the long run.”
“In other words, being a migratory tribe for the rest of our history might hurt us?”
“Right. If we settle down, we’ll be able to flourish. By the way, how have you been coming along with those stones I gave you?”
“You mean these?” Rose exhibited three small stones, all with pointed ends. “They’re fine, but I think I’m going to work with them a little more. I’ve been more fascinated with these. Here, smell them.” She produced a few grains of an indistinguishable plant, which gave off a pleasant smell when Tycho took a deep breath.
“Those smell great!”
“Yeah, unfortunately there was maybe five or so of these plants around, and that was 50 miles back north. I haven’t seen anything else like them.”
“One thing I can say about you Rose, is that you are very resourceful.”
She laid her head on his shoulder as they walked off into the darkness.

These events happened 16 hours later.

“C’mon! Take him down!”
Shouts rang out from the spectators as Gordan and Matthias wrestled their way around the ring, the dust flying as they sought to keep the other pinned for the required 10 seconds. The sweat dripped from their faces as they locked arms, each gripping the other’s arms tightly, as their feet sought to stay firm in the sandy banks of the river.
Without warning Matthias moved so suddenly Gordan barely saw it before he felt himself hit the ground with both arms pinned behind his back. He struggled, but to no avail, as the tribe chanted the numbers. “8…9…10!” Applause rang out as Matthias stood off of Gordan and extended a hand.
“It’s okay mate. There’s still the running, and you’re sure to take that.”
Gordan gripped his friend’s hand and pulled himself off the ground, smiling.
“Nice job, friend. You’ve really trained hard for this, haven’t you?”
“I hate to brag, but it’s not just the training. I’ve always had a natural ability in fighting. Perhaps it’s not something to be proud of, but sometimes I feel as if it’s my destiny to fight.”
Gordan nodded. “I think I understand. Listen, I have to do something. I’ll see you at the running.”
Matthias grinned. “Just make it back in time.”

This event happened 15 minutes later.

This is my destiny. I can do this. It is the destiny of no one else but me. I will explore. I will lead. To do this, I must win. So, I have trained. I have run, for hour after hour. And now I am ready. To win. Because I must explore. Because it is my destiny.
Thoughts raced through Gordan’s head as he stood apart from the camp, the breeze blowing through his hair as he prepared himself.
My destiny.
A figure detached itself from the growing crowd and made its way towards where Gordan stood ruminating.
It…
The figure grew closer. It was a girl.
is…
It was Nataly. The sun shone off her brown hair as she jogged her way to Gordan.
my…
“Gordan! Come on! They’re about to start!”
Rescued from his thoughts, Gordan started, then realized where he was.
“Don’t tire yourself out. You’re a contender in this as well, you know.”
“Ha! As if I could beat you. There’s only one person who even stands a chance against you, and Jonathen only dreams of beating you. So come on. You’ve got a race to win.”
The pair left for the starting line, leaving behind the wind, the sun, the grass, and the air.

destiny…

The following events happened in between 5 and 10 minutes later. The historians are not exactly sure. They dismiss this unknown as trivial.

“Go.”
The word, softly falling from Daniel’s lips, took about two seconds to fully reach the ground. In those two seconds, two things happened.
Gordan and Jonathen started.
Then everyone else started.
Because the race began on the river’s shores, anybody who found themselves behind had to keep their mouths tightly closed, lest they find themselves with a mouth full of sand.
The course wound along the river’s eastern bank, then northeast to the fertile grasslands, then southeast to the eastern forest’s edge. After that, it was a straight dash back to the river. It had been measured as upwards of 10 miles, but Gordan was more than prepared. He had been running as forward scout for Daniel for a few months now, searching for a place to stop, and his endurance levels were high. He allowed Jonathen to push by him, allowing Gordan to conserve his energy levels for the final sprint.
They went through the grasslands at a fast pace. Flat and providing no cover, the sun beat down on the contestants, and more than a few dropped out. Touching the massive fieldstone that Gordan had seen earlier, and with a nod to the referee, the remainder flew towards the forest now visible upon the horizon.
Gordan had kept Jonathen within a few hundred yards, far enough to let Jonathen think he was winning so as to have him put down his guard, and also to keep him within distance. Now he began to slowly close the distance, putting greater speed into his movements, letting his legs churn up the grass.
The distance had been 300 yards. Now it was 250.
Even as he ran, Gordan chose his steps carefully, aiming to be as silent as possible. He and Jonathen had now distanced themselves from the pack, and it had become a two-man race.
200 yards.
He still stepped lightly, and the sound of the pack behind them was just enough to muffle his feet. Any further away, and his advantage of surprise would be lost.
150 yards.
Jonathen seemed to be slowing down. Perhaps the toll of the race was finally showing.
100 yards.

Gordan blew by Jonathen without as much as a glance. The other racers had now faded from view as well as hearing.
He kept the lead for the next 2 miles, Jonathen falling behind with each step and finally plateauing at about 100 yards away.
The crowd was in sight. He could hear the river, the rapids, the brush of cold water against sun-baked rock. He was going to win.
It is my destiny…

Then he tripped.

At first, Gordan wasn’t exactly sure of what had happened. He felt his foot tug against a protruding object, and then found himself face first in the dirt. Overcome by the suddenness, he lay there until Jonathen flew by, galvanizing him into action.

But it was too late.

Jonathen won.

It…destiny…

Jonathen had not been tiring, as Gordan had thought. He had reserved his last bits of strength for the final push, just as Gordan had done. And the gamble had paid off. He was the winner. He would lead. He would be the explorer.

It was Jonathen’s destiny.

Daniel stood there as Gordan ran in then collapsed at his feet.
“You didn’t win, son. The whole tribe thought you would.”
Gordan lay there gasping for breath. Strange. Normally he was barely winded at the end of a run like that. “Tripped…”
“Ah.”
Daniel stood there uncomfortably. A thought struck him.
That could be…yes.

These events took place the next morning, approximately 16 hours later.

“As the leader of our scout party, I have selected…Jonathen.”
Minor applause broke out as Jonathen stood and acknowledged the cheers.
Gordan sank to the ground, all around him forgotten as the full realization of what had happened hit him. Not only had he been passed up for leader of the scouting party, he hadn’t even been named to it! He had also been passed up for the other positions. This was terrible. He made his way to Jonathen to do the right thing.
“Congratulations…Scout.”
Jonathen looked at the hand sticking out, as if expecting it to become a fist and fly upwards towards his face. Then he smiled and shook vigorously. “You should have won, Gordan. I only wish you had been named to the squad as well. Don’t worry, I’ll put in a word to Daniel to you.”
“Yeah, thanks.” Gordan smiled, but on the inside he was seething.

Daniel was calling for attention. “Once more, everyone, here are this year’s selections. The Worker Team!”
Matthias, Rose, and Tycho, along with numerous others, stood up to loud cheers and applause.

“The Settler Team!”

Penni and Nataly, the designers of the new settlement, and joined by a group of burly young men, picked for their strength and construction knowledge, stood up as well.

“And the Scout Team!”

Jonathen and his new group stood smiling radiantly and clearly excited to be part of this exploration group.

Gordan politely stood and clapped loudly, leading the rest of the tribe to give a thunderous standing ovation.

Daniel stood to the side, his gaze very pointedly aiming at Gordan, who could not help but notice the strength with which his leader was giving his gaze. He made his way over to him.
“Daniel, did you want me?”
Daniel looked at Gordan for a while, then smiled. “Yes. Follow me.” Taking him by the arm, he pulled a confused Gordan up in front of the tribe. Projecting his voice so that the whole group could hear him, he began to speak.
“If we are to have scouts, then we must have others who work with them. If there are, in fact, other tribes like us in this world, we must have skilled men making good impressions upon them, leading to fruitful relationships and powerful allies in the years to come. My first order to Jonathen and the scouts is to head south towards the people camping there, and I want Gordan to go with them to be my ambassador to those people. I appoint Gordan to be my Foreign Advisor.”
Gordan stood there shocked. An Advisor to Daniel? This was an honor far beyond anything he might have dreamed of!
“You leave tomorrow,” said Daniel. "Tomorrow, we will begin building our tribe. For we are the remnant of the Americans! We will return to glory, and rebuild what was ours!"
Wild cheers greeted this forceful statement.
Daniel looked at Gordan. “I am confident that you will not fail us.”
Gordan stood smartly to attention. “I will not fail you, Daniel. You can trust me. I hope to get good results out of meeting this and other tribes.”
“Gordan, of course you will. It’s your destiny.”

End of Chapter Two.

Top Bottom