The Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition

He was not disgruntled... Hieronymus Wolf spent his life studying history of Greece & Byzantium. For the n-th time - "Byzantine" wasn't any kind of pejorative word in his times. It simply meant what it meant. You are again confusing Wolf with Montesquieu, who lived 2 centuries later.

As for BC and TWC forums, that's the thing: the whole Byzantine vs Roman controversy exists as an internet phenomenon. That, and there's plenty of factual errors in BC, from faction names to cities that were founded in modern times.

Wrong Broken Crescent I believe... I'm talking about the mod for Medieval 2 Total War

Thats a fair point, BUT although they were not "official" they were still used by those people to denote the state they were living in. Byzantine Empire came from a disgruntled German Humanist writer who wanted to make the difference between what he believed was the real Holy Roman Empire from the fake "Eastern Roman Empire", hence giving them the name "Byzantine"
Yeah, sorry, my bad, I was thinking BI here.

But as edead said, the term Byzantine was coined by Wolf, so there's no way he could've used it as a pejorative. It was only used to emphasize he doesn't refer to the Roman Empire centred in Rome, but the one in Byzantion/Constantinople (and it's comparable to terms like Heian-kyo Japan in this regard).

He was not disgruntled... Hieronymus Wolf spent his life studying history of Greece & Byzantium. For the n-th time - "Byzantine" wasn't any kind of pejorative word in his times. It simply meant what it meant. You are again confusing Wolf with Montesquieu, who lived 2 centuries later.

As for BC and TWC forums, that's the thing: the whole Byzantine vs Roman controversy exists as an internet phenomenon. That, and there's plenty of factual errors in BC, from faction names to cities that were founded in modern times.

Hieronymus Wolf was disgruntled, and yes I do realize that there was no pejorative term for the word yet, and no I am not confusing him with Montesquieu, please stop supposing things. Byzantium comes from the old Greek name for Constantinople, and was used to name them, to differentiate it from the "Holy Roman Empire".

And believe me Edead I have my grudge against BC, thats why I don't play it anymore (SS ftw), but my point is that they were correct when it came to naming the Empire, "The Roman Empire".

Hieronymus Wolf was disgruntled, and yes I do realize that there was no pejorative term for the word yet, and no I am not confusing him with Montesquieu, please stop supposing things. Byzantium comes from the old Greek name for Constantinople, and was used to name them, to differentiate it from the "Holy Roman Empire".

No, he wasn't disgruntled - that's supposing things. As for the rest, it just feels weird because you're quoting me (link - that was an answer to your post about Enlightment etc.). That being said, we're really :deadhorse: here, since we've had this discussion before, two times, with exactly the same arguments ;) Clearly neither side will give up, I'm just pointing out the explanation doesn't really stand.

it just feels weird because you're quoting me (link - that was an answer to your post about Enlightment etc.)

No.... actually I was quoting what I learnt from Mr. Brownworth and his book and podcasts ;)
Sorry!
but Kudos for digging that up, none the less :)

how do u instsll this?

Hi Alpav :)

You can download it or you can download the SVN, the instructions are in the first post. BUT... I would like it if you wait one day for me to fix the big fat bug that remains, which I think I'll be able to fix. So just one day please! :D

no but do u extract to a seperate folder or the base sword of islam folder

p.s. whats the bug

No, this is a standalone mod, so you would but it in the same folder as SoI is in currently which should be: Civ 4/BTS/mods folder

I would probably therefore recommend the SVN version, as I will update that first anyway, and you'll be more in the loop. If you have any questions on how to install that tell me.

The bug is kind of a big one, you would need to see it to believe it ;)
Its basically a large python exception, which I need to root out. So just give me one day to do so! :)

sorry what is SVN

You can look at the first post, I have detailed instructions on what it is and how to install it. Basically what the SVN is, its a program which links the folder to the internet, so that you can still change files, but I will regularly update it, so that you can update the folder, and be up to date with my latest changes.

Hope thats a good enough explanation :)

"Error: Archive is either in unknown format or damaged." :C

"Error: Archive is either in unknown format or damaged." :C

Thats what I'm talking about! Now its 11:44 AM in Ankara, I'll get you guys a correction by night time! Sorry everyone for the inconvenience! :sad:

@Edead
I'm having big trouble changing the name, it won't allow me citing this:
Spoiler :
This feature is currently offline pending an upgrade to our back-end processing facility. We apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime if you have any further questions please contact our Site Support Team.

So I guess I'll have to wait until it gets online :mad:!

PS. @Moshe Dayan
I know you've done the name changing mod-component for RFC, I was wondering what you would think (and others as well!) about doing something like this:
Spoiler :

On a side note, would anybody be interested in unique names for civilization? Rather than their English counterparts?
For example:
Roman Empire --> Basileia Rhōmaiōn
Abbasid Caliphate --> al-Khilāfah al-‘Abbāsīyyah
Kingdom of Georgia ---> Sak’art’velo

PS. @Moshe Dayan
I know you've done the name changing mod-component for RFC, I was wondering what you would think (and others as well!) about doing something like this:
Spoiler :
On a side note, would anybody be interested in unique names for civilization? Rather than their English counterparts?
For example:
Roman Empire --> Basileia Rhōmaiōn
Abbasid Caliphate --> al-Khilāfah al-‘Abbāsīyyah
Kingdom of Georgia ---> Sak’art’velo

Well most of the names would just be shifted to Arabic or Farsi, which shouldn't be too hard. The outlying civs might be more difficult though. Once I download the mod and look at the dynamic names file I'll see if it's doable.

I wanna get those damn Egyptian Coptic names first though :S

Good Evening Everyone,

Just wanted to say that the new and clean version of Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition is now being uploaded to sourceforge and will be available to everyone in a few hours.

Well most of the names would just be shifted to Arabic or Farsi, which shouldn't be too hard. The outlying civs might be more difficult though. Once I download the mod and look at the dynamic names file I'll see if it's doable.

I wanna get those damn Egyptian Coptic names first though :S

Wow thanks Moshe Dayan! I was actually just asking for your and other people's opinoin, I wasn't asking you to do it! LOL! :lol:
I know your currently very busy at the moment with your own mod, so I was thinking of doing it, but I wanted to see first what the reception would be.

@Edead
I can't change the name through settings, I need to wait 90 days or something. Anyway I currently do not have the SVN working since I purged a wicked bug from the mod.

Ok hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that SoI Plus Edition is now BACK UP!!

Get it while its hot here

Enjoy! And don't forget to comment! :goodjob:

GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme =C

GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme =C

-__0"

Anybody else having problems?

Moshe you unzipped the file and placed it in your BTS/mods folder, right?

-__0"

anybody else having problems?

Moshe you unzipped the file and placed it in your bts/mods folder, right?

да. :c

Top Bottom