The Sword of Islam (PLUS) Edition

Those names are in XML/Text/CIV4GameText_MEM_Misc.xml . Sher Shah Suri is already there btw.

Thanks! Also I sent you an e-mail a while ago concerning music I wanted to add. Did you receive it?

Also do you know where I could make it so that they concentrate on trying to capture Damascus (syria in general)? Like the Ottomans in RFC who always capture Constantinople, I'd like to make Syria a place which the Zengids try to capture first.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I could really use some testers to help me which some of the features I've added. So if you have any comments please post here, so I can start getting some feedback, or else its quite hard to continue, with only my point of view in action.

Thanks! :)

I thought The Turk was the original author too. Who's the author of the non-PLUS version of SOI?

I was getting confused. I thought The Turk was the author of The SOI.
I thought The Turk was the original author too. Who's the author of the non-PLUS version of SOI?

Guys this is in the CREDITS! First page! This is also why we need an SoI forum, which I shall request from The_J (except I don't know if I have the authority to do that).
SoI is made by Embryodead
SoI (PLUS) Edition by The Turk (my changes can be seen on the first page)

On a side note, would anybody be interested in unique names for civilization? Rather than their English counterparts?
For example:
Roman Empire --> Basileia Rhōmaiōn
Abbasid Caliphate --> al-Khilāfah al-‘Abbāsīyyah
Kingdom of Georgia ---> Sak’art’velo

Guys this is in the CREDITS! First page! This is also why we need an SoI forum, which I shall request from The_J (except I don't know if I have the authority to do that).
SoI is made by Embryodead
SoI (PLUS) Edition by The Turk (my changes can be seen on the first page)

On a side note, would anybody be interested in unique names for civilization? Rather than their English counterparts?
For example:
Roman Empire --> Basileia Rhōmaiōn
Abbasid Caliphate --> al-Khilāfah al-‘Abbāsīyyah
Kingdom of Georgia ---> Sak’art’velo

This is far too confusing

I'd still go with the names preferred by historicians to avoid unnecessary confusion. This includes the Byzantine Empire.

I'd still go with the names preferred by historicians to avoid unnecessary confusion. This includes the Byzantine Empire.

If you read the explanation of why I chose Roman Empire, it will make sense. By the way Leoreth, I've added an extra hint (concerning an explanation of Roman Empire over Byzantine Empire), but I never see it appearing? Other than changing the hints.xml file, do I need to change something else as well?

Thanks! Also I sent you an e-mail a while ago concerning music I wanted to add. Did you receive it?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154929

Also do you know where I could make it so that they concentrate on trying to capture Damascus (syria in general)? Like the Ottomans in RFC who always capture Constantinople, I'd like to make Syria a place which the Zengids try to capture first.

Nope, sorry. They attack Constantinople in RFC because it's the closest city. Likewise, Mongols, Buyids or Zengids in SoI attack the closest city, or close but least defended.

You could try to increase the value artificially in CvPlayerAI::AI_targetCityValue if you can do C++ coding, but that doesn't seem to have any effect in my experience (i.e. the Franco-Mongol alliance which isn't really working).

Hi Everyone!
You can know download the zip file for the mod, if you don't like updating through the SVN. The link is below, and also on the first page. Excuses for the non-finished v.2, but changing the background is a bit harder than I originally supposed ;)

Sourceforge Download

Download: HERE -- This contains all of v.1 and most of v.2 (you can see what features are included above, where labelled "DONE")

Enjoy! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Edead

Thanks! I'll implement music in my next release! :)

Nope, sorry. They attack Constantinople in RFC because it's the closest city. Likewise, Mongols, Buyids or Zengids in SoI attack the closest city, or close but least defended.

You could try to increase the value artificially in CvPlayerAI::AI_targetCityValue if you can do C++ coding, but that doesn't seem to have any effect in my experience (i.e. the Franco-Mongol alliance which isn't really working).

hmmm... I think I will just have Nur ad-Din spawn near Damascus, and have him and the army, attack. Perhaps have a revolt happen at the same time. But I'll figure that out later...

If you read the explanation of why I chose Roman Empire, it will make sense. By the way Leoreth, I've added an extra hint (concerning an explanation of Roman Empire over Byzantine Empire), but I never see it appearing? Other than changing the hints.xml file, do I need to change something else as well?
I know enough about history to understand what you're going for, thanksverymuch, but I don't know if it's a good idea to pretend to be smarter than actual historians.

I'd personally leave it as the Byzantine Empire, although I don't see anything wrong with calling it the Roman Empire, and since it is The Turk's mod I don't see why he can't just do what he wants. :confused:

I know enough about history to understand what you're going for, thanksverymuch, but I don't know if it's a good idea to pretend to be smarter than actual historians.

Obviously I have not introduced you to my friend Lars Brownworth. I highley recommend his work. And other "Byzantine" historians, also know that the name was the "Roman Empire". Its like calling Beijing Peiking, just because Europeans call it that. Anyway, I'm very active on the Total War Center forum as well, and they always have these debates, and the Roman Empire side tends to win the most favour, so I thought it would be the same here. I guess not though, haters gonna hate :cool:

There's a flaw in quoting Lars Brownworth: he's not a historian, but more importantly he uses the term Byzantine, not Roman, all throughout his podcast, after a brief explanation of what it means... which is exactly the same thing that actual historians do. Of course it's your call here, but Lars just doesn't cut it if he's using the B word himself ;)

is this a seperate mod or do you merge it with regular soi

It's a seperate mod-mod of SoI with The Turk's changes.

Hi Everyone!

I would recommend that none of you download this mod until the weekend, as I am undergoing massive changes/reworks, because I've run into a bit of brick wall at the moment :wallbash:

@Edead

As a fellow TWC'er you know what I mean by adding the "Roman Empire" name. Even BC uses exclusively "Roman Empire" or "Eastern Roman Empire", rather than "Byzantine Empire", and thats because they are trying to make their mod as historically accurate as possible, by using the English name their contemporaries would have called it.

Also I'm so excited for the new Harun al-Rashid LH!!! :D

No, the reason is that BC's timeframe is before Herakleios' reign, when the Byzantine Empire is called ERE by historians.

"Artificial" historical terms have their point if one wants to distinguish different periods of one state; we use them all over the place - see how common the terms Weimar Republic and Third Reich are although they never were official either.

No, the reason is that BC's timeframe is before Herakleios' reign, when the Byzantine Empire is called ERE by historians.

Wrong Broken Crescent I believe... I'm talking about the mod for Medieval 2 Total War

"Artificial" historical terms have their point if one wants to distinguish different periods of one state; we use them all over the place - see how common the terms Weimar Republic and Third Reich are although they never were official either.

Thats a fair point, BUT although they were not "official" they were still used by those people to denote the state they were living in. Byzantine Empire came from a disgruntled German Humanist writer who wanted to make the difference between what he believed was the real Holy Roman Empire from the fake "Eastern Roman Empire", hence giving them the name "Byzantine"

Top Bottom