1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, Apr 2, 2018.

1. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Unfortunately you don't have to agree with that argument when you can simply ignore it and ban guns anyway.

2. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Great take on gun community's anti-mask tendencies:
    "Wearing a mask during a pandemic is an IQ test and you're failing."

3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Very good video. I wasn't sure what your point was until towards the end of it. I think some of the mask orders are illegal. I wear a mask anyway (a cheap respirator, actually) because I choose to, and it's just a good idea.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Politicians/governance that does this might as well be sticking a neon sign into their own body that reads "remove me by force, I'm doing exactly what your right to that force is intended to prevent".

5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

People need to stop panic buying all the damn ammo. Right now 5.56 rounds are going for as much as .50 BMG rounds. Because of the shortage 5.56 is going for about $2.74 a round (that includes shipping since online retailers are the only ones who have it in stock) from the places that actually have it in stock. For reference, 5.56 rounds normally go for about $0.40 to $0.50 a round.

I would start making my own ammo to sell and make some decent money, but all the reloading supplies are sold out too. So yeah, people need to chill out on the ammo buying for a while and let the manufacturers catch up.

6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

They've watched Kenosha, it's not going to slow down before November. No trust in behavior while the counts are going. And maybe after. Lots of first time buyers in blue states this year. Governors have been slow to roll to guard. Granted, it's kept the guard shiny, because people want to see them by the time they show up.

7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

But without bullets how can we defend ourselves from the coming red terror that is Joe Biden? Not having more ammo violates our 2nd amendment rights! I need lots and lots of ammo in case a black person walks in front of my house. I need to be safe waving my guns at him and letting him know "I'm ready." :mischief:

Synsensa and Lexicus like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Deity

It's made even worse by reports that gun shop owners aren't selling some of their stock, but rather keeping it for themselves. People started suspecting this when ammo manufacturers have said they've stepped up production, yet somehow all these rounds they're making aren't ending up on store shelves.

Yeah funny how pro-gun someone becomes once the threat to them personally becomes a real possibility instead of a vague hypothetical.

I've also seen stuff that those first time buyers in blue states are shocked when they go to buy a gun and have to fill out paperwork and get a background check done. That shock comes from years of swallowing anti-gun propaganda that has told them for decades that you can just walk in and buy a gun like you were shopping for milk or something. And since blue states tend to have stricter gun laws, those first time buyers are even more shocked when they are told there's a waiting period before they can actually take the gun home.

But enough about all that, my rant is about the price gouging taking place in the gun industry now. Gun prices have kinda started going back to normal as everyone who wants one has mostly bought one already so demand is dropping. Ammo prices are outrageous though. The only ammo types that aren't ridiculously priced right now are the types no one wants anyway. Like .50 BMG. Price for that has actually dropped a bit, mostly because there is no demand since the only legal rifles that can shoot it all cost at least $10,000. Not many people buying those. Although I have seen that a 12 gauge shotgun will chamber and fire a .50 BMG, but it will be the last round you fire since it will cause the shotgun to explode in your face.

Wow, that rant kinda went to a weird place...

Hygro likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

It's time to tax ammo like cigarettes.

10. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Can't. That would be a violation of the 2nd Amendment because you can't tax people for exercising their right. That's why things like poll taxes are illegal. Especially since there was a ruling in the 9th Circuit that ruled firearm accessories are protected by the 2nd Amendment as well as firearms themselves, thus striking down California's magazine ban on magazines that hold more than ten rounds. That's being appealed right now by California, but at this point all they can do is delay the inevitable, which is the ban being officially declared unconstitutional.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I misread this sentence and was so confused on who was using cigarettes as ammunition for guns.

12. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

If you hit your target they'll die in 25 - 40 years. Ammunition for those who like to play the long game.

13. Farm Boy

That usually is the authoritarians' backdoor into regressive rights.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

There are, in the US they tend to work for insurance companies.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

authoritarianism=government telling me i have to live next door to black people

It's called the "mafia" :D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  16. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Sir, are you complaining about the free market here?

JohannaK, cardgame and Synsensa like this.
  17. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

This appears not to be the case: 26 USC 4181 taxes the manufacture or import of ammunition at 11%.

JohannaK, Farm Boy and El_Machinae like this.
  18. Farm Boy

All those light American taxes, except when they aren't. And all those crazy American taxes(like foreign income), except when they're progressive.

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Just because the government does it, doesn't mean it's Constitutional.

20. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

What about it is unconstitutional? All of the case evidence I can find supports the view that Congress has the power to levy taxes and basically spend the money on what it wants largely without judicial review.