The Trial of Derek Chauvin

hah! I was wrong then. I stand corrected.

School assignment saying George Floyd didn't die from knee on neck

The assignment given Friday asked Saugerties High School students to write a paragraph with a bold “thematic” statement in the format given by the state exam using two examples. One example stated that Floyd did not die because former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin put a knee of Floyd’s neck, but rather because of a heart attack and drug overdose.

The assignment's other example asked whether Chauvin should get a new trial because new “evidence” found juror Brandon Mitchell “could not have been forthcoming in his statements” in whether he had “racially provoked” negative feelings to police officers and his involvement with Black Lives Matter.​

Spoiler The question :

School assignment saying George Floyd didn't die from knee on neck

The assignment given Friday asked Saugerties High School students to write a paragraph with a bold “thematic” statement in the format given by the state exam using two examples. One example stated that Floyd did not die because former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin put a knee of Floyd’s neck, but rather because of a heart attack and drug overdose.

The assignment's other example asked whether Chauvin should get a new trial because new “evidence” found juror Brandon Mitchell “could not have been forthcoming in his statements” in whether he had “racially provoked” negative feelings to police officers and his involvement with Black Lives Matter.​

Spoiler The question :

Possibly the intention was to teach how to argue, but this is 'The Wolf and the Lamb' level of wrong.

Not sure what you mean by "we". I'm sure. You apparently aren't sure of anything in this regard, especially since you are confused about basic facts, for instance:No. He wasn't:nope: Obama wasn't in the US Congress during the Iraq War vote. So your statement that: is absolutely wrong, because "this" didn't even happen.

Still, fact remains that Obama got street cred for being against the war from 2002 while his main rivals in the Democratic Primary voted for the war.

Thank you Steve Jobs!

Americans do usually do the right thing if you exhaust all other possibilities.

I forget where that quote is from.

It probably doesn't. The mere fact that an officer is on trial for someone dying while in his custody or by his actions is unusual. Nobody was indicted in the deaths of Tamir Rice, Breonna Taylor or Sandra Bland, for three more examples. In the incident that killed Taylor, one of the officers was indicted for "wanton endangerment", for firing rounds that went through the walls and into neighboring houses, because the Grand Jury was never even presented with homicide charges for Taylor's death. When you say, "People go down all the time for mistakes that kill people", I assume you mean people in professions other than law enforcement?

There was some recent posting about people being disappointed in Garland. But, I will admit, this news surprised me.

Spoiler Kimberly Jones on BLM riots :
Because every opportunity to remind people how excellent this conversation-starter is.
This is the clip edited so that it's an 'acceptable' teaching resource.

Last edited:
Spoiler Kimberly Jones on BLM riots :
Because every opportunity to remind people how excellent this conversation-starter is

And she didn't even mention the MOVE bombing in Philadelphia, or the assassination of Fred Hampton, or... or... or...

p.s. First time I'm seeing that video, btw. Well said.

Last edited:
Some people asked in another thread why the push of minority issues. Why not general reform?

This is why.

Most of those same people see this as a witch-hunt against good officers who were only doing their jobs, though.

Some people asked in another thread why the push of minority issues. Why not general reform?

This is why.

What has been achieved here was begun and carried by the BLM movement. Everyone else was still on the bench waiting and content to keep waiting.
I also think that at least part of the answer is that pushing on minority issues is general reform.

Still, fact remains that Obama got street cred for being against the war from 2002 while his main rivals in the Democratic Primary voted for the war.
Though funny how all the Democrats out of Congress were against the war and all the ones in it were for it.

Top Bottom