The United States of Arabia

Sonereal

♫We got the guillotine♫
Supporter
UNITED STATES OF ARABIA

Based on a similar game in CivV S&T, I have modified the game ever so slightly to work as a Realpolitik of sorts.

Obviously, this is not a completely accurate simulation, but only an approximation with some significant modifications for the convenience of running and playing the game.

The pace will be a little slower, and will have regular deadlines, in an effort to make the game easier to run and more accessible to players who aren't on the forum everyday.
The game will take a few weeks to ramp up to full speed, which I think is probably good as everyone starts coming off of summer and heavy vacation period.

SECTION I: THE THREE BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT

THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH

The leader of the Executive Branch is the President.
The President is elected to a 4 session term. (Session Term=15 turns)
The President has the power to sign into law, or to veto, the bills passed by congress.
The President may circumvent congress by issuing Executive Orders.
The President may create on his own and pass one law per congress session (law still subject to approval of the Supreme Court).
The President also serves as Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces.
Turn by turn control of military units will be handled by me.
The President may assign each military unit to one of the following functions:
National Guard - The unit protect the nation's borders
Expeditionary Forces - The unit will explore the unknown. Units will engage barbarians and enemy forces when deemed safe to do so.
Army X under the Command of Great General X - Unit will follow a Great General. The President may issue am objective to each General, such as "Capture city X" or "Defend Location X". If there is no Great General, designate a unit as a General unit.
The Vice President is not represented in this game.

THE JUDICIARY BRANCH
The Judiciary Branch is lead by the Supreme Court, which shall be Sonereal.
The Supreme Court has the power to review all laws and throw out any deemed unconstitutional (or bad for the game!)
The Supreme Court will break any deadlocked votes.

THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH
The Legislative Branch consists of two Chambers of Congress.

The Senate
If there are less players than possible Senate positions, the Senate positions will be filled by an NPC.
The Senate is made up of one Senator from every city.
Senators are elected to a 6 session term.
The senior most Senator of the largest party shall be the Senate Majority Leader.
The Senate Majority Leader controls the senate's agenda. This shall be represented in game by allowing the Senate Majority Leader to eliminate two bills each session (automatically fails vote).
The senior most Senator of the 2nd largest party shall be the Senate Minority Leader.
The Senate Minority Leader may lead a filibuster to prevent the vote on a bill. This shall be represented in game by allowing the Senate Minority Leader to eliminate one bill each session (automatically fails vote).
If the President is impeached, the Senate shall vote whether or not to convict him.

The House of Representatives
If there are more available positions than players, than positions will be filled by NPCs.
The House of Representatives is made up up of one Representative per citizen in a city.
Representatives are elected to a 4 session term.
At the beginning of each Presidential term, the House shall elect one of its members to be the Speaker of the House.
The Speaker of the House presides over the House. This shall be represented in game by allowing the Speaker to throw out one bill (automatically fails vote) during each sesison of congress.
The Speaker of the House shall become President if the President is removed from office before the end of his term.
The senior most Representative of the largest party shall be the Majority Leader.
The senior most Representative of the second largest party shall be the Minority Leader.
House leaders have a variety of powers in organizing their party members. This shall be represented in game by considering any Representatives who miss the voting deadline to have voted in the same way as their house leader.
If the President circumvents Congress by issuing an Executive Order, the House shall vote whether or not to impeach him.

SECTION II: THE WORKINGS OF GOVERNMENT

How a Bill becomes Law

1. During a Congress Session, each Senator and Representative may introduce one new bill. There won't be a vote on this bill or anything. This bill will just be up. At the end of the congress session, the Supreme Court will determine the constitutionality of the bill.

2. So, using the bill from the last point (we shall call it Bill A), Bill A survived the end-session Supreme Court grilling. This is the second session. Now, the Senate and House of Representatives shall vote separately on Bill A. If it passes both Houses, it shall be sent to the president. If it fails to pass in one or both Houses, the bill is discarded.

3. During the next session, the President can sign into law or veto Bill A or any bills that made it to his attention. Any bills not addressed by the President shall be considered vetoed. If the President passes Bill A, Bill A becomes law of the land.

4. However, for giggles, let's pretend Bill A was vetoed by the President. Bill A is sent back to the chambers. If the Senate and House revote and get a 2/3 majority, then congress overrules the veto and Bill A becomes law of the land!

Note: There can actually be tons of bills introduce each session, oddly.

Political Parties
Any player may form a political party.
Any player may join a political party.
A player may only belong to one political party at a time.
A political party with 5 or more members will receive national recognition and be guaranteed a candidate spot in each election. (Instead of having to fight for the single "no party" spot on the ballot.

Running for Office
Any player may run for President.
A player may campaign for re-election or election to a different office while in office.
A player may only be running for one office at a time (a player cannot run for Congress while running for President).

Elections are every four turns (for President and Representatives), six for Senators.

The Electoral College
Presidents are elected by the electoral college.
For Presidential elections, each city holds a separate election.
The winning candidate in each city will receive that city's electoral votes, which will be equal to the number of citizens in the city.
The candidate that receives the most electoral votes will win the election.

SECTION III: BASIC GAME INFO

Deadlines
So yeah, I won't put anything into stone unless I feel the votes and whatnot are going by very slowly.

Player Activity
You may be as active or as inactive as you like.
You will need to be fairly active if you're going to convince your fellow citizens to elect you to office!
There is no penalty for being inactive, other than incurring the wrath of your fellow citizens.

Some Basic Game Management
There will be a Chat Room for discussion and voting.
This game is played on Eternity Speed as Arabia, Prehistoric. The slow game should be a good thing for players.
This game shall focus on national politics. Cities are governed in accordance to national law.
Cities shall produce wealth, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Workers shall be set to automated control, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Research shall follow the path generated by the game to reach Future Tech, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Civics can be changed either through law or violently.
Promotion saving shall be enabled. Promotions will not be taken, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Settlers will take a nap, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Captured cities will be considered "occupied" and not part of Arabia proper unless law dictates otherwise.
Requests from other nations will be refused, unless a law dictates otherwise.
Communication with other nations will be polite, unless a law dictates otherwise.

And so on.

Campaigning
RP-players, you know how to do this by now.

As the game goes on, major Lobbying groups will begin to pop up that can influence the vote.

SECTION V: Assassination Attempts
Any player may attempt to assassinate an elected official.
Only elected officials may be targeted for assassination.
Elected officials are considered to frequently travel between their home city and the capital, and the assassination attempt may be made in either city.

There are two rolls, the execution and discovery rolls. The more players that help, the more likely the execution is successful but more likely you will be discovered.

SECTION VII: ROLEPLAYING
If there is any "action" you want to take, PM me.

Current President

Senate

House of Representatives

Political Parties

Lobbying Groups

Lobby for the Citizens of Mecca
The LCM is a Lobbyist group in favor of supporting the average citizen living inside the city of Mecca.

Arabian Forester Alliance
The AFA is a large lobbying group combining two smaller ones, the Seed Grain Forest Grange and the Woodsman Union. They seek countryside improvement, not the destruction of forests.

Stone Workers of Mecca
The SWM is a small lobbying group of influential stoneworkers of Northern Arabia. They also want a President and Congress that will go out and get Stone.

The Disgruntled Anarchists of Arabia
The DAA wishes for Arabia to maintain "Anarchy" as the government and to convince (or force) other governments to support Anarchy.

The Military
Since the Power Civic is "Junta", the military is a lobbying group that wishes the Power Civic stay at Junta and for the military to expand.

The Conservative Arabian Foundation
The CAF does not like changes in the Society Civic at all...ever.

Arabian Banditry Lobby
Thanks to the Banditry Civic and the Bandit's Hideout in Mecca, Bandits enjoy having a Lobby. They want more Thieves and Rogues to be built all the time to loot neighbor's improvements for cash.

The Barbarian Lobby
Huh? Well, there is some Barbarian culture in Mecca. Less than 1% of the people who live in Mecca are from a barbarian stock. The farther northeast you go in Arabia, the higher the percentage but it's usually around 2-3%. The Barbarian Lobby simply wishes you to not to go out and destroy barbarian cities and culture.

United Bison Federation
These are opportunists who want some government incentives to expand east to grab the rich Bison herding territory.

People for a Walrus Tomorrow
The PWT is a confusing butch. From what you can gather, they want...walruses.

----------
Past Administrations

Super late reserve

Tips

1.) The cities, by default, will only produce wealth unless a bill or a bill with earmarks (important later if we get an obscene number of cities) gives funding to produce a building or expand the military.

2.) Think carefully about introducing bills with other Senators or Representatives, especially ones with ties to influential lobbying groups as it would put pressure on the Powers That Be to look at the bill and not outright veto or ignore it.

3.) Only up to FIVE bills will be voted on per session, with others put in a backlog. This means that it's possible that you bill introduced at the end of a turn where twenty bills were introduce may not show up until the end of a President's second term!

I may join.

I'll think about joining, but this seems very complex.

I'll think about joining, but this seems very complex.

Oh, I'll simplify it.

The President has the power of setting military goals and has control over military units. He can issue executive orders when something needs done right away or done without politics.

The Legislative Branches can propose Bills which, mostly, are going to be build and technology orders but also contain laws and roleplay stuff.

Senators and Representatives are going to try to A.) Get stuff built for their city in the name of fulfilling campaign promises and B.) Getting stuff their party platform would like.

Edit: Also ax'd out the vestigial stuff about "election seasons" and what not. That was in the rough draft and I thought I had cut it before putting it here. Actually, a lot of fat has been cut since I apparently posted the rough draft.

I'll join.

Since I'm starting a new job (to work on my thesis) I'm not sure how much tim i'll have but this seems interesting enough to give it a try, so sign me up ;)

I'll probably join. I join everything :D

I'll join, its quite complex but I like it a lot. However based on the numbers you provided it appears you are assuming a lot more people are joining then probably will.

Not really. Right now, there's only room for 3 Reps, 1 Senator, and 1 President. I just need at least five people and more can join up later.

well: RS, Ilduce, Olaf and me is 4.. if Yoshi and SK make up there minds ;) we've got 5/6 (hopefully :p)

Shouldn't it be 2 senators per city and 1 rep per population?

I'm sticking with one senator simply because having two for each city would get unwieldy after a while. Though, if players force the issue by passing a bill later, my hands are tied. :lol:

Yes, 1 rep per population (actually up from 1 rep per 4 population in the other game). Mecca only has 3 pop right now though.

I will join the first islamic party.

Top Bottom