The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some foods that are in the same taste group as cranberries?

Bump.

Also another question:

Is there any way to get Google Maps... but with interactivity? I'd like to make a personal map that includes neighbourhood lines, pins indicating specific locations (example: average rent on that street, a grocery store, a weird niche store that is really cool, etc), places of interest, etc. Preferably something that stays intact once you leave the tab/program so you don't have to redo it every single time. I'd get a full-sized map printed out professionally but I have nowhere to keep it so digital is the way to go for me right now.

Bonus points if it's compatible with live-update bus routes, directions, etc. I'm pretty much looking for something exactly like Google Maps, just... you know... with interactivity added onto it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Google Earth doesn´t have all of that, but it is a lot more interactive than Google Maps

Just to be clear, I don't want the information on the map to be automatically given, I meant that I want the ability to add it manually.

As far as I can tell Google Earth is the same as Google Maps unless you buy Google Earth Pro (which is more for mapping rather than marking), which is for businesses and costs a super cheap $400.

I just had a dream about Donald Trump having a love affair with Harry Potter. Sorry, but discussing it here is therapeutic.

Is it worth it to read ancient classics like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Iliad?

I just had a dream about Donald Trump having a love affair with Harry Potter. Sorry, but discussing it here is therapeutic.

Is it worth it to read ancient classics like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Iliad?

If you want to read them then read them. If you don't want to read them then don't read them.

I liked both epics immensely, for the record.

If you want to read them then read them. If you don't want to read them then don't read them.

I liked both epics immensely, for the record.

Any translation I should use?

I've always been a bit suspicious of people who read epic poetry for fun. It tends to be literature to invade Poland to.

The two you just mentioned seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much, Zelig! I'll need to do some investigating once my internet stops crapping its pants.

The English one, I'd imagine.

Yeah, but some are better than others. I don't want to have to wade through a dense mishmash of Shakespearean English while being told precisely what I should find inspiring or tragic.

Yeah, but some are better than others. I don't want to have to wade through a dense mishmash of Shakespearean English while being told precisely what I should find inspiring or tragic.
Robert Fagles' translation of the Iliad is fairly highly regarded despite its use of transliterations that I don't like. It's more, uh, poetic than some of the more literally correct translations (like the immortal Lattimore one) but I think that's actually a plus rather than a minus because you're reading a, y'know, poem.

Robert Fagles' translation of the Iliad is fairly highly regarded despite its use of transliterations that I don't like. It's more, uh, poetic than some of the more literally correct translations (like the immortal Lattimore one) but I think that's actually a plus rather than a minus because you're reading a, y'know, poem.

I hate poetry with every fiber of my soul. I'd rather read it like a novel, even if it sacrifices some of the original intent.

I hate poetry with every fiber of my soul. I'd rather read it like a novel, even if it sacrifices some of the original intent.
Then go for Lattimore, I guess? It's been updated recently by some other scholar, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom