The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither. I got distracted started added them because I was trying to type out how I think about them and saw what I was typing. But basically I have a bunch of one digit number combo rules that extend in powers of ten so when I see those numbers I just smash em together and math happens.

I would at least say 8, but 18 would make more sense.

Writing it out on paper is just an exercise in mental gymnastics with an added re-enforcement.

What the heck does hipster mean? I've tried to look it up but have only gotten more confused.

Hipster can mean all sorts of things. But in a modern (read: a decade ago; seriously, hipsterism is pretty old school at this point) context it generally refers to 20-something millennials, typically living in Brooklyn, stereotypically in and around Flatbush. They're kind of the poster child for what millennials have come to represent. Tech-savvy, highly educated (stereotypically) white middle class. (Again stereotypically) they are supported either partially or totally by their parents. The biggest aspect of them is their over-adherence to "irony" or acting "ironically", and "discovering" things. Their MO is to like something because it is "underground" or because "you've probably never heard of it", and then they discard it as soon as it "hits the mainstream". So this means, for example, they listened to vinyl when everybody was on cd. Then switched to cassette once vinyl became cool again, and by now are probably on to 8-tracks or original gramophone pressings or something. The other big aspect of this is the "acting ironically", meaning they like something so stupid, inane, or unlikeable that it is impossible to conceive of anybody having ever liked it before. The best one I remember was the guy who wore an original gameboy as a necklace. If they were baseball fans, they'd probably like the Houston Astros or Miami Marlins (although they're probably into professional bocce ball or jai alai or something like that). The biggest criticism they get is that they don't actually like anything, and are just into things for the image of being into them.

Some good things to watch to get the picture:

Link to video.

I won't link it due to the 2-click rule but
"lookatthis[copulating]hipster" will give you a pretty quick idea of what a hipster looks like.

Although it's a (very very hilarious) critique of millennials in a more general sense, Girls, but more especially Tiny Furniture, both created by Lena Dunham also encapsulate the "hipster" way of life pretty well.

I'm even more confused than before. (Also confusing is the fact that I looked at this thread before the one where I asked the question originally.)

I'm even more confused than before. (Also confusing is the fact that I looked at this thread before the one where I asked the question originally.)

Just approximate it as "self-absorbed and and shallow a-hole" then mix in an aspect of being a "waste of space." Kinda sorta like the 20 something version of a washed up 40 year old alcoholic jock. Only less blue collar and they weren't ever good at sports. It won't be entirely accurate, but it'll catch the gist of it enough to be mostly serviceable.

I'm doing the best rough approximation I can! Doing something useful and productive isn't necessarily going to get your hipster card pulled, but it would probably be suspect.

Don't forget, hipsters hate hipsters and won't self-identify as such.

I hung out with some scenesters who thought they were hipsters and called themselves as such. The real hipsters were like lolwtfbbq (because that expression was still hipster cool).

Wut?

This isn't my idea of hipster at all.

Lord Buckley, he the man.

Any other notions are probably just modern hijackings of the word. Which is, you know, fine and all that.

I've never thought it had anything to do with irony. Ironically.

Hipsters wear stupid glasses. They wear flannel shirts. They buy their clothes from charity shops. They are extremely snobbish and take enormous pride in uncovering some unpopular music and lecturing to others about how "great" it is. They rate cultural items based on how close or far away from the mainstream they are.

I think a decently succinct and accurate definition of hipsters is 'not mainstream, and proud of it'.

nah, 'cause that describes a lot more than just hipsters.

Hipsters are super obnoxious about it and often refuse mainstream because it's mainstream, not because of any other factors.

As someone said earlier, they're in it to be seen to be into it, not because of any actual enjoyment they derive from it.

There's also a few well-known hipster connotations: Apple gear, beanies, fake glasses, flannel, turtlenecks/ugly sweaters, a certain style of facial hair, scarves (even in mild weather, or indoors), underground music (which is only good because it's underground), typewriters, other old stuff, like rotary phones, etc.

Dude your have a brony avatar.

Hipsters as a rule are pretty genuine. They are into meaningful deeper stuff but also apologetically unapologetic about being super mainstream at the same time. That's the one thing y'all are missing is that the last epoch of hipsters are super pop-friendly. That's one reason pop music quickly catered to them as their fashion became completely mainstream this decade.

none of this conversation makes any sense without acknowledging the original hipster doofus, the one and only Fifty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom