Our top three guesses for your English dialect:

1. American (Standard)
2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
3. Singaporean
Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
1. English
2. Dutch
3. Swedish

For English professors with entirely too high an opinion of their field. Not for the sane.

Partially in agreement, but the "proper order" does tend to flow better when narrating. In most cases fluent speakers will naturally follow that order even if they don't know it exists.

I can see that having less Coke might drive up demand, but how does having warm Coke affect that?
Some people are so allergic to the idea of drinking anything without ice in it, that they'd rather buy an entirely new container of Coke from a refrigerated source than take the warm can... and put it in their own fridge.

Personally I don't mind non-refrigerated pop at all, though I do keep a few containers of pop and juice in the fridge for when I plan to be eating extra-spicy foods.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder how Singaporeans talk. I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone from there.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder how Singaporeans talk. I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone from there.

There was a dude from Singapore in the group I was living with in South Africa. I couldn't really differentiate his accent from the "standard" Chinese accent. I think that might be because he wasn't really from-from Singapore, but his family are Chinese and had relocated to Singapore, so he grew up there (his dad is quite rich IIRC).

Green great dragons absolutely can exist, if you're talking about a Great Dragon (which would be a term found in FRPGs).

Every native english speaker intuitively knows that there is a proper order for adjectives. It's an unwritten rule.
Yeah, it's been written for a long time. It's just rare to see it explicitly taught.

I brought it up in a warmup for some of my students last year, and at first they looked at me in the same way you might look at a particularly unusual sort of spiny bug. Then we went through it and light bulbs went off. It put us behind schedule but was totally worth.
Green great dragons absolutely can exist, if you're talking about a Great Dragon (which would be a term found in FRPGs).
green great dragon != green Great Dragon

If you're saying that it's a green great dragon then it's a/the green one from among great dragons (dragons who have greatness, rather than, as Dachs says, Great Dragons). Or, for some other reason, you're highlighting the greenness of the dragon. It's all about marked and unmarked word order.

I would still say Great Gold Wyrm, even in D&D.

What the hell are you supposed to use when the only word that correctly describes a situation is considered offensive and therefore banned?
Does that mean that discussing certain firefighting substance is also banned?
I have no tolerance for BS right now, it left about the same time my life disintegrated.

Is it a Great Wyrm or is it a Gold Wyrm? When it's a part of the proper noun, the rules no longer apply.

Does anyone knows of a word with the same basic meaning as a certain R-word?(i.e. to hold back/held back)

Handicap?

That's a bit of a shoehorn but it could work in some situations.

Maybe sandbag, the verb. And there's delay, but that lacks any impact at all.

What the hell are you supposed to use when the only word that correctly describes a situation is considered offensive and therefore banned?
Does that mean that discussing certain firefighting substance is also banned?
I have no tolerance for BS right now, it left about the same time my life disintegrated.
I don't remember you discussing any firefighting substances. Which thread was this in?

Every native english speaker intuitively knows that there is a proper order for adjectives. It's an unwritten rule.

(until now)

That's pretty incredible. Need to wrap my head around this...

Is it a Great Wyrm or is it a Gold Wyrm? When it's a part of the proper noun, the rules no longer apply.

It's a gold dragon of the wyrm or great wyrm age category, but if you say "gold great wyrm", it just sounds silly.

I don't remember you discussing any firefighting substances. Which thread was this in?
Hypothetical question.....until hobbs just stumbled into it
There's been a lot of people refusing to evacuate and taking 'cool' photos of the firebombers dropping flame ******ant on or around their homes and they are just making the job of the firefighters that much harder and putting themselves in danger.

Going a bit off-topic:
I've had my issues with bad language on this forum, but this S****horpe Problem nonsense is beyond ludicrous. Yes, the R-Word is used as an ableist insult, but it's also an acceptable medical term. If it's directed at another poster it's flaming and should be treated as such, but autocensoring it is just overkill.
It's as silly as "Abraham Lincoln was buttbuttinated".

Saying flame r3tardardant triggers the autocensor, can't we add an exception or something? I mean would it be possible with the forums autocensor software?
edit: would this be a question better suited for the site feedback section?

Most word censors that come with forum software tend to lean towards being more discriminatory instead of less. I'm not sure it's possible to list exceptions. It hasn't been in every back end I've worked with although I've yet to have that opportunity with Xenforo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom