1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yes I have a lot to say about that revelation. Boeing is trying to slander low-level engineers to distract from systemic issues and the rot at the top of the organization.

This is standard operating procedure for big engineering companies. Another great example is the Challenger explosion and Columbia disaster. The culture at these companies put profits over everything and when they are caught breaking rules and making insanely stupid decisions, they quickly 'reveal' 'bad actors' in their engineering ranks to take pressure off the organization as a whole. On reddit they're practically lynching the engineers while ignoring the systemic issues that were previously revealed.

I'm not giving some jagoff engineers a pass for being malicious douchebags that went along with the corporate culture, but they are not the root cause.

Hrothbern likes this.
  2. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Pretty sure you all were talking about it in that thread to start with.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

'Racial inequality' is the least of what he did. It would be odd to lambast someone for committing genocide against the Chinese if that person just blew up the Earth, for example. He essentially destroyed American civic life and paved the way (pun intended) for our current Amazon regime.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Do our British posters have any hot takes on Harry and Megan stepping back from royal duties? They have given up 5% of their income which came with strings that disallowed them from participating in commercial activities. They say they want to become financially independent which I guess means eventually giving up the other 95% of their income. The rest of the royal family is said to be upset about the whole situation.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

A tragic loss for the realm.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Indeed
    Spoiler :
    royals.png

shadowplay and tjs282 like this.
  9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

They probably have significant reserves anyway, but the rest of their income appears to come from Charles' private income from the Duchy of Cornwall. (Fun fact: it's the Duchy of Cornwall and not the Dukedom of Cornwall, because it still derives income from the area in question, unlike a dukedom, which is "merely" the highest title of nobility.)

Birdjaguar, The_J and Ajidica like this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The reporting on the situation has opened my eyes to all of the racism that Megan has faced since marrying into the family. It's quite sad.

They say they are going to focus mostly on their charitable efforts, which I guess means eventually they want to build that up enough to be able to draw a salary from the effort. They also filed for trademarks based on their royal title to use in commercial branding.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

British Tabloids are notoriously terrible.
    As Armando Iannucci put it in The Thick of It:
    "Adam, you are the most loathsome and repellent person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. You were so well suited at the [Daily] Mail it's a shame you left."

Eh, they'll either end up an embarrassment like Air-Miles Andy of Epstein fame, or pathetic like Prince Edward. One blogger I follow who has a surprising number of contacts with the British Establishment has noted that Harry is your standard over-entitled posh layabout. You know, the same person who thought it a good idea to dress up at Hitler.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. really

really Deity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c75a34-32d3-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html
    He is personally worth tens of millions of pounds through inheritance. He isn't going to be a pauper if starts charging for cutting ribbons and cuts himself off from the public purse.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Which is why I'm a bit confused as to why they didn't cut off all their princely funding. She is also independently wealthy as well.

I think it's a good move for them in the long run if they follow through and get off royal funding entirely but this half-measure seems...awkward.

14. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

If I recall properly there wasn't a single magazine not in histrionics over having a progressive womyn of color as a royal, back when they got married.

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

When you are used to hundreds of millions and fabulous free housing and staff, tens of millions just doesn't seem like quite enough. I mean, just getting by is almost like camping somewhere.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

You think that the Mail, Telegraph or Express were excited about a "progressive womyn of colour"?

17. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I've been hearing snippets about what's going on but haven't had the chance to look up exactly what the situation is. Is there anyone here that can give me a quick rundown of what exactly is going on with the royal family that has everyone riled up?

18. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

I think they said they were leaving the royal family, which makes the rest of the royal family not very happy. I don't know many more details other than Tim Horton's is threatening to give them free coffee if they move to Canada.

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I'm just wondering why right wing media sources are screaming about "cultural marxism" and left wing media sources are screaming about racism in relation to this story.

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Meghan is the first "woman of colour" in the Royal Family and the British tabloids are notoriously vituperative to anything that attracts their ire. Not for nothing is the Express known as the "Diana and UKIP" paper. As for other papers screaming about "cultural marxism", I have no idea, but I guess that's because it's Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.