1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The volcano issue

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Crusis, Jul 6, 2012.

1. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

You can make it dependent on whatever you like that is exposed to the expression system.
    That includes stuff like gamespeed, options, techs, civics, traits and many other things.

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Now that sounds wonderful, too bad we dont do everything like that then.

3. chueche

chueche Chieftain

Short question. The Vulcano problem is fixed now with SVN 3070, or strong reduced?

4. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I'm it will just take time for people to get to it.

People will do what they know how to do:)

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I think what BlueGenie is after is something like any active volcano that has not erupted in the last 100 always goes dormant and any dormant volcano goes extinct after 1000 years in addition to events. IE those two always happen in those conditions. Event or random eruptions reset the clock.

My understanding is that only one event can happen per player per turn, is that right?

6. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

:wavey: now that I am back and actually able to do some coding I'll change the volcano events a bit - actually I think I'll just allow them to happen anywhere instead of on owned territory and see what people think then. Additionally the new volcano and extinct volcano events (those that spawn new volcanos) will be reduced. Might be a day or so until I'll actually upload them.

As with global warming events I'd much rather have a way to do them outside the event system though. Mostly because however way I trigger them not all players potentially affected by them will be notified which is a suboptimal situation.

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

8. draz

draz Warlord

That would be ideal. Early on, expanding your borders is pretty slow (especially with the megalomaniacal leaders that have -20% :culture:, somehow I seem to prefer them for my world domination plans :lol:) and it's just a tad unrealistic that the volcanos just happen to be popping only in your tiny plot of land.

9. ori

There are a few things that might annoy people then though, especially that volcanos can then errupt in your territory due to the event being triggered by another player. In that case you won't get any notification about destroyed improvements I fear...

10. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

Is there any way to make it a "global event" then, so even if triggered by one country all nations get a report on a new volcano springing up?

Cheers

11. ori

oh all do get the event notification - but I don't see a way to focus on the plot for the non-triggering civs nor do I see a way to tell the non-triggering civs if improvements they own were destroyed.

12. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Isn't the volcano event implemented in Python?

13. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

I have been playing on a huge map with custom continents on the eternity game speed, difficulty noble with 8 civs. I'm really surprised at the way volcanoes have spawned. I've attached 2 screen shots showing the volcanoe problem I experienced.
    View attachment 325991
    This one shows me having fun with four volcanoes.
    View attachment 325992
    Not long afterwards another one of their friends popped in to say hello!

Please tell me there is going to be a fix for this!?

14. ori

It is (partly - the eruption is - the extinction/dormant stuff is pure xml currently) but I still haven't found code that would allow me to do that (i.e. center the camera for everyone on the affected plot and notify the owner of the plot, not the active player that improvements have been destroyed) - I might just miss something obvious though ;)

It is in the process of being uploaded.
    Chances changed to
    15/45/140/280 for new/extinct/dormant/active volcano to erupt
    60 for dormant volcano to go extinct
    200 for active volcano to go dormant

also they are now global events (I don't believe it makes a difference) and do not require you to own the affected plot.

Moderator Action: @PsiCorps: please do change your signature to conform with forum rules - at your font size that is 5 lines including blank lines

15. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Code:
    CyInterface().addMessage(kTriggeredData.ePlayer, false, gc.getEVENT_MESSAGE_TIME(), szBuffer, "AS2D_BOMBARDED", InterfaceMessageTypes.MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO, gc.getImprovementInfo(iImprovement).getButton(), gc.getInfoTypeForString("COLOR_RED"), plot.getX(), plot.getY(), true, true)
    That is from the volcano code.
    plot.getOwner() instead of kTriggeredData.ePlayer will inform the owner of the improvement instead of the event player.

Code:
      if (plot.getOwner() == gc.getGame().getActivePlayer()):
        CyCamera().JustLookAtPlot( plot  )
    That will make the owner of the improvement look at the plot (mind though that with the viewports now I am not sure how that behaves for a plot outside the viewport).

16. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

No one's mentioned it before...done now.

That's great news, can't wait to get that patch in.

17. ori

Thanks, I actually saw the justlookatplot code last night but did not get around to testing it - however wouldn't it just center on the plot if the currently active player (i.e. the one triggering the event) is the owner?

18. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Hmm, I was only thinking about multiplayer, where the active player is always the local human. So slightly more complex:

Code:
    if ((gc.getGame().isSimultaneousTeamTurns() && (plot.getOwner() == gc.getGame().getActivePlayer())) || (!gc.getGame().isSimultaneousTeamTurns() && gc.getPlayer(plot.getOwner()).isHuman())):
        CyCamera().JustLookAtPlot( plot  )

19. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Just had 2 volcanoes erupt, one in the ocean, so it made an extra land mark next to my continent pic1) the other dont know where, i believe in the ocean also, but not sure, i dont want to look beaus of the fog of war yet. pic2

I like them springing up near the edge of land masses, better this way, i believe???

20. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

What about Hawaii? It exists because of a volcano and it's not really near an edge of a landmass?
    Same goes for Iceland.

Cheers