TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, she's not super kitten. But it's still quite a leap.

TIL that our newest kitten can jump up and reach the pull cord on our ceiling fan.
And pull it? to change the settings? 'Cause, now, that would be somethin'!

She just swatted it to start it swinging, but if she grabs it then yes indeed it could change the speed. Fortunately she can't reach the spinning blades yet.

Time for a new ceiling fan, with remote. That way the rest of the cats will be able to bat the remote around and change the settings too.

No thank you. I almost killed one that walked over the remote sunday night during the bears game and that switched it to some mindless pablum. ;)

No thank you. I almost killed one that walked over the remote sunday night during the bears game and that switched it to some mindless pablum. ;)

When I was a youngster we had a cat who sat on top of the TV and watched football with us. He seemed to have an intense dislike for wide receivers and would paw them mercilessly when they ran up to the top of the screen.

switched it to some mindless pablum
Some other mindless pablum, do you mean? I like a football game as much as the next guy, but I've never thought of watching one as a remotely intellectual exercise.

TIL that our newest kitten can jump up and reach the pull cord on our ceiling fan. (something all of our previous cans were unable to do) Oh joy.

My cat when she was a new kitten here (maybe 6-7 weeks) could not be kept in a box overnight because she jumped and jumped and jumped until she was able to get out of it. Now this was no small box, as a large chair had come in it.

When my cats were kittens, i frequently found them hanging from various lighting fixtures.....

When I was a youngster we had a cat who sat on top of the TV and watched football with us. He seemed to have an intense dislike for wide receivers and would paw them mercilessly when they ran up to the top of the screen.
I had never had a dog that watched TV until we got an HDTV. Now the dumb one likes nature documentaries - especially about lions and tigers. The sweet one (RIP) never did watch the TV.

Yeah, both our cats like most sports and paw whoever seems to be moving the most. Thanks to HD they'll swat the puck in hockey games.

I had never had a dog that watched TV until we got an HDTV. Now the dumb one likes nature documentaries - especially about lions and tigers. The sweet one (RIP) never did watch the TV.

My dog, a small spitz, will react immediately when she sees or hears an animal on TV.
I learned her not to bark or growl when it is a horse, a cow etc and to growl instead of barking for most other animals (to prevent too loud noise for the neighbors later in the evening).
But I must reward her with attention like "hey, thanks, yes, I heard it too know, it's all right" as feedback.
But with other dogs or wolves on TV this is yet too difficult. She becomes just too excited. She will bark a couple of times and only reduces to growling when I acknowledge her warning or command silence.
I have however the feeling that she really needs to be able to warn me.

You have to let a dog do their job. "Yes, I know, thank you" is almost always the best response to alert barking.

Today I learned about the Bristol Stool Scale. And it's not referring to the type of stools that you sit on at a bar.

TIL: November 2, 2000 was the last time all living humans were "on the earth" at the same time. Since then at least two people have been aboard the International space station. We're counting people in airplanes and on boats as "on earth".

How about "within the earth's atmosphere"?

TIL that our Green-Left party in the Netherlands wants to attack the drugs maffia producing xtc pills, and secure the quality, by allowing regulated commercial production.

Here in NL, at a production cost of approx Euro 0.50, dealers buy at Euro 1.00-2.00 and the consumer's market price is approx Euro 4.00, for an xtc pill with approx 150 mg MDMA.
Especially younger people use it when going out for the evening/night. In Amsterdam at pubs 25%, at festivals 50% of the people. Closing in to alcohol consumption frequencies. Overall in NLabout half that consumption

The argument is basically: "why allow alcohol and criminalise xtc, when both are comparable bad for your health ?"

It is not that the people behind this want to encourage the use, just like they do not want to encourage the use of alcohol.
The only real difference imo that a prohibition of alcohol is more favorable in building up and supporting a maffia than xtc pills.

I expect many mayors (responsible for the local police departments) to support this except in typical conservative areas or smaller towns.

It will be the start of a more public societal consensus discussion that could very well take a decade or so before some legal change will happen.

Last edited:
The argument is basically: "why allow alcohol and criminalise xtc, when both are comparable bad for your health ?"

It can be pretty dangerous and it's easy to overdose.
Much better to provide an official source with reliable quality and warning labels on the packaging than giving criminals a monopoly.

It can be pretty dangerous and it's easy to overdose.
Much better to provide an official source with reliable quality and warning labels on the packaging than giving criminals a monopoly.

Exactly. That is why our Green-Left wants to take control on the production.
Good quality by a secured dose of MDMA and no other horsehocky in those pills.
And no use of safrol oil to make MDMA. Because Indonesia/Cambodja etc are chopping tropical forest for the trees, to be cooked to extract that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom