TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get American brands of root beer in Frankfurt. think I've seen A & W on the menu of some diners.
If I can get Barq's, then I will be satisfied. A&W is good stuff too.

Yes, they're meant to be read while sitting in an easy chair with your slippers off and your feet next to the fire. As opposed to hard-boiled detective stories, they're soft boiled. on light toast, with a cup of tea. :coffee:
I immediately thought of Murder, She Wrote. There's a fanfic crossover on fanfiction.net that has someone murdering Hyacinth Bucket and Jessica Fletcher has to figure out whodunnit. Yes, I know they don't take place in the same country, but it's a cute little story in a weird way.

Don't mention tea and toast. I've had more of that in the past week and a half than in my entire previous life. :mad:

If I can get Barq's, then I will be satisfied. A&W is good stuff too.
A&W isn't anywhere near as good as it was decades ago, but it's still the best.

I read today the wiki article of James II+VI, and from that I got further to the fact that Willem van Oranje and William of Orange are not the same people (William I vs William III).
Man, these kings etc should have had easier names.

I read today the wiki article of James II+VI, and from that I got further to the fact that Willem van Oranje and William of Orange are not the same people (William I vs William III).

It's more complicated

Willem van Oranje is also called Willem de Zwijger or in English William the Silent. He wasnever a King. He was Prince of Orange (in South France).
He was formally under Philips II the Stadtholder of the three Provinces Holland, Zeeland and Utrecht.
He was before the Dutch Revolt most of all the key advisor to Charles V and diplomat: he could talk eloquently on everything without being pinned down to anything.

Willem I, is King Willem I, is the first King of the Netherlands after the restauration (1772-1843)

EDIT
After King Willem I, he was succeeded by King Willem II and King Willem III. Than we had for more than a century queens.
Our current King, Willem-Alexander, refused to be called officially King Willem IV.
Word is that he refused because that IV rhymes in Dutch (vier for four) with bier (beer) and did not wanted to be nicknamed Willem Beer (which was not impossible considering has appetite for beer)

Last edited:

Reading Roman history can be really confusing too because of all the similar names. For example, there are many more Julius Caesars than one.

A&W isn't anywhere near as good as it was decades ago, but it's still the best.

A&W Canada is apparently something of a separate entity from the American one though I'm not sure if they have the same parent company. They have different menus and things. I was devastated when they removed the Whistle Dogs from their menu while re-branding itself (now it's all hipstery "no hormones!") There's really no other restaurant that makes good hot dogs. :(

A&W Canada is apparently something of a separate entity from the American one though I'm not sure if they have the same parent company. They have different menus and things. I was devastated when they removed the Whistle Dogs from their menu while re-branding itself (now it's all hipstery "no hormones!") There's really no other restaurant that makes good hot dogs. :(

DQ used to, although I haven't been in one that still had hot dogs in years. I know they still have it, it's on their online menu, but where they have it... :dunno:

As an aside, A&W Canada is amazing. Great quality. A&W USA... not so much...

DQ still has hot dogs, but they're rather small for the price and not that great.

DQ used to, although I haven't been in one that still had hot dogs in years. I know they still have it, it's on their online menu, but where they have it... :dunno:

As an aside, A&W Canada is amazing. Great quality. A&W USA... not so much...

Yeah.. that scotch tape in my buddy burger was a nice bonus! :D

18th Century history was hell, if you wanted identifiable names. The British kings were called George, the Dutch William, the French Louis, the Prussians Friedrich..

It's more complicated

Willem van Oranje is also called Willem de Zwijger or in English William the Silent. He wasnever a King. He was Prince of Orange (in South France).
He was formally under Philips II the Stadtholder of the three Provinces Holland, Zeeland and Utrecht.
He was before the Dutch Revolt most of all the key advisor to Charles V and diplomat: he could talk eloquently on everything without being pinned down to anything.

Willem I, is King Willem I, is the first King of the Netherlands after the restauration (1772-1843)

EDIT
After King Willem I, he was succeeded by King Willem II and King Willem III. Than we had for more than a century queens.
Our current King, Willem-Alexander, refused to be called officially King Willem IV.
Word is that he refused because that IV rhymes in Dutch (vier for four) with bier (beer) and did not wanted to be nicknamed Willem Beer (which was not impossible considering has appetite for beer)

Thanks, even worse :cringe:

Today I learned that hardboiled eggs really aren't supposed to smell like sulfur unless you overcook them. I guess my mother is just that bad at it.

I'll take a punt at Ash, Eth, Thorn and Yogh being four others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom