TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that was the fundamental problem....;)

I don't know if I want to agree or disagree.
American English would have been more practical, but British is more classy or pretentious (and who doesn't want to be pretentious if they they can get away with it ?).

It's a real bummer for us second/third language speakers.

I don't know if I want to agree or disagree.
American English would have been more practical, but British is more classy or pretentious (and who doesn't want to be pretentious if they they can get away with it ?).

It's a real bummer for us second/third language speakers.
I feel stupid when I go to a foreign country and don't speak the language. Knowing two or more languages puts you a cut above regardless of which version of the second you speak.

I feel stupid when I go to a foreign country and don't speak the language.

Flailing around your arms and yelling is probably a universal language, though

I feel stupid when I go to a foreign country and don't speak the language. Knowing two or more languages puts you a cut above regardless of which version of the second you speak.

I know !
I take a certain arrogant pride in knowing multiple languages.
Still makes me sound like an idiot if I mix British and American with a German accent.

I know !
Still makes me sound like an idiot if I mix British and American with a German accent.

same and same. I feel a certain colonial satisfaction in bothering people in their native language. it's one of those sadistic traits deeply embedded into European DNA.

I know !

I really like to hear English with a French accent :)

*merovingian.jpg*

What's this about hideaway offices?

TIL that Toyota has added exoskeletons to to the daily uniform of 200 workers at its Princeton Indiana plant. Heavy lifting is going to be a thing of the past. Their use has been picking up over the past year, but appear to be going mainstream now.

Europe not having root beer saddens me. But their mouthwash having its flavor gives me ideas.

Europe not having root beer saddens me. But their mouthwash having its flavor gives me ideas.

root beer is very common here :confused::confused: karamalz is the most popular brand in Germany

...malt? I guess they take the "beer" part more literally. Here in North America "root beer" is a softdrink flavored with sassafras.

hmmh, I thought there was also Kara with sassafras flavoring, but I don't know if they have that where you live, probably not! but no, i am also talking about a type of non-alcoholic softdrink which is flavored with all kinds of things, but as you correctly pointed out, malt is preferred by most people.

if you're anywhere near a big city specialty shops should have it. I can get American brands of root beer in Frankfurt. think I've seen A & W on the menu of some diners.

TIL that Toyota has added exoskeletons to to the daily uniform of 200 workers at its Princeton Indiana plant. Heavy lifting is going to be a thing of the past. Their use has been picking up over the past year, but appear to be going mainstream now.
Oh please, please, I need the links. For documentation.
No eating the forum members! :nono:
I think he just meant to drink him. we've no idea how delicious Mouthwash is, do we?

Last edited:

Only the people from these both countries care, and unless you visit either of them, you're unlikely to run into too many of them...so at the end, not really anyone who matters cares ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom