TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thread about a Synagogue shooting turned into a discussion about supply side economics and gay sex pests.
I'm still not sure whether that reaffirms my faith in humanity or convinces me that "they have to go".

A thread about a Synagogue shooting turned into a discussion about supply side economics and gay sex pests.
I'm still not sure whether that reaffirms my faith in humanity or convinces me that "they have to go".

I may have to check back in. Haven't looked recently.

TIL that it can "snow" on Venus despite the surface temperature being over 400 degrees C. The snow isn't water of course but some other substance, possible tellurium or lead sulfide, that evaporates lower elevation (and thus higher temperature) but cools in the atmosphere and precipitates thus accumulating at higher elevations.
Ben Bova mentioned this in his novel Venus.

TIL that superconductivity can be induced in a graphene bilayer by twisting the two sheets so that they are 1.1 degrees out of alignment.
Wow. *reads the article linked to in a later post*
Yes, here in America we know that automatic rifles are much safer than Kinder Surprises.
Well, do those German-speaking eggs of yours have safety catches? Hmmm?

Today was the first time the winner in the Kentucky Derby was disqualified for a non-drug reason and a 65-1 long shot (Country House) got the win.

Maximum Security (9-2) made the last turn on the rail and slid outward into another horse's path causing a cascading effect. The eventual winner was outside of the 2 horses that bunched up behind Maximum Security and came in 2nd.

$132 on a $2 bet

The jockey of Maximum Security cant be feeling good about this, his horse did drift out into the paths of other horses but he probably would have won regardless.

it's all between the 5/16 and 3/16 poles. Stewards made the right call. In a lesser race, Max would have been placed 4th. They dropped the hammer to make a point; no half measures; clear foul, full punishment.

TIL that Wiki considers this ancient Scottish band's music to be "glam rock". I'm not sure that clown make-up and some spacey shoulder pads are enough.

TIL that Wiki considers this ancient Scottish band's music to be "glam rock". I'm not sure that clown make-up and some spacey shoulder pads are enough.
Whatever the genre, it is pretty terrible.

that sounds like David Bowie's costume
Interestingly, (or not), Bowie covered another Jacques Brel song, "The Port of Amsterdam".

For Kyriakos and other Borges fanbois. :)

TIL that Hernando Colón (the bastard son of Christopher Columbus) collected about 20,000 books and employed a large number of people to summarize them.
In something reminiscent of Borges' Book of Sand, the lost 2,000 page Libro de Los Epitomes was discovered after 300 years in a Danish library, after being incorrectly shelved by a 17th century Icelandic scholar.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...hristopher-columbuss-bibliophile-son/11059998

Interestingly, (or not), Bowie covered another Jacques Brel song, "The Port of Amsterdam".

For Kyriakos and other Borges fanbois. :)

TIL that Hernando Colón (the bastard son of Christopher Columbus) collected about 20,000 books and employed a large number of people to summarize them.
In something reminiscent of Borges' Book of Sand, the lost 2,000 page Libro de Los Epitomes was discovered after 300 years in a Danish library, after being incorrectly shelved by a 17th century Icelandic scholar.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...hristopher-columbuss-bibliophile-son/11059998
Borgian fanboi here, much obliged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom