TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be hard to do without the Pyramids or Abu Simbul.
People that go to Sharm-el-sheikh are quite a long way from those historic sites.

If China can have it's own Eiffel Tower, the House of Saud can probably manage at least a half-scale pyramid.
I guess so:

luxor.jpg

Luxor in Las Vegas

Thing is, you can't just create a city. A city has to have a reason to exist. People have to have a reason to live there. There has to be jobs. People have to think that their opportunities there are better than they are in other places.

Thing is, you can't just create a city. A city has to have a reason to exist. People have to have a reason to live there. There has to be jobs. People have to think that their opportunities there are better than they are in other places.

Wasn't there a thread that went along these lines? Someone was talking about creating a car-less city from the ground up.

Las Legas created its own reason to exist. I think the Saudis will just create a western style city that begins by attracting visitors/vacationers and then develops from there.

China built cities, moved people there and created jobs through industrial growth. Not all of them worked though. It can be done if you are willing to spend the money.

Wasn't there a thread that went along these lines? Someone was talking about creating a car-less city from the ground up.

I don't remember that.

Las Legas created its own reason to exist. I think the Saudis will just create a western style city that begins by attracting visitors/vacationers and then develops from there.

This is not what they are talking about. Vegas created and entertainment and gambling industry. From there it grew. There was no planning to what the city became.

That doesn't really address what I said. You can build a city if there is a reason to have a city. You can even build a city, and then move things into the city to cause it to have a reason. What you can't do is build a city, and then just expect it to work all by itself, without a reason for being.

That doesn't really address what I said. You can build a city if there is a reason to have a city. You can even build a city, and then move things into the city to cause it to have a reason. What you can't do is build a city, and then just expect it to work all by itself, without a reason for being.
If you are a despotism with trillions of oil money you can do a lot of things. I do not get how you can fill up a city the area of Belgium with a whole country population of 33.7 million though.

Fun fact about the "planning" of my town, from The Streets of Truro (published by the Colchester Historical Society ca. 1976):

ODDS and ENDS
Streets north and south of Prince Street are not properly aligned; compare Commercial - Willow; Louise - Pleasant; Church - Inglis; Outram - Waddell. To faciliate laying out the streets two engineers were employed, one working on the north side of Prince Street, one on the south side. They did not consult each other before beginning their work. One used true north and the other used magnetic north in survey. Hence the non-alignment.

If you are a despotism with trillions of oil money you can do a lot of things. I do not get how you can fill up a city the area of Belgium with a whole country population of 33.7 million though.

The old quip is, you can build it, but will they come? Building the buildings and the roads and infrastructure are one thing. Making it a functional city that people choose to live in is another. You need to answer the question, for what purpose would people choose to live there?

The old quip is, you can build it, but will they come? Building the buildings and the roads and infrastructure are one thing. Making it a functional city that people choose to live in is another. You need to answer the question, for what purpose would people choose to live there?
Jobs is the only reason people move. If the state builds fancy hotels, government departments, universities, oil processing facilities etc. and makes sure they do not fail then people will work there.

Jobs is the only reason people move. If the state builds fancy hotels, government departments, universities, oil processing facilities etc. and makes sure they do not fail then people will work there.

Yeah. Because central planning has such a notable success rate.

That would be hard to do without the Pyramids or Abu Simbul.
It's easy enough to make a superficial fake that nobody will care is fake. After all, when I was learning to play Civ, I built the Pyramids of Sylvan Lake (a town northwest of here where tourists go in summer because of the lake, beach, and boating). I'd rather see the real thing.

This depends on if you want a physical city or one with an actual culture. There are ancient cities still around that nobody lives in anymore. That doesn't mean they aren't cities.

I used to do that routinely when I played the original Sim City. People could either walk or take mass transit. When they complained too much, I just embezzled enough money to run the bulldozer and razed the place to bare scorched ground. Even the trees were gone.

If Kim is dead or a veggie, there is I think a need to keep that silent for a while, to enable the bargaining process to find a successor with some perspective to last.

Mouthwash asked how much it'd cost to raze New York City to the ground so he can build a modernized medieval Dubrovnik, yes.

Yeah... tear down that Dem stronghold... leave not one stone upon another... the promised land cleansed from the not chosen
Walls.... Trump would love the walls of Dubrovnik... and so much opportunities to build new Trump towers next to his...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom