Today I Learned #3: There's a wiki for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL, till the year of 1956, there are peoples who delusional enough to think colonialism were initiated as charity act to help the natives build their civilization, because Asian, unlike European, they are lazy.

So the colonizer were there for humanitarian mission and doing noble cause, I mean wow, I can't imagine how for hundreds of years they were brainstormed to see oppression as charity, evil as good, wrong as right, imprisonment as freedom, colonialism as opportunity.

I wonder if we are partly somewhat still get fooled until today by the elites....

well perhaps we are!

This isn't going to mean anything to those who don't know baseball, but the site Baseball Reference has compiled Negro League stats.

Josh Gibson, per 162 games: .374/.458/.719, 166 R, 196 RBI, 36 2B, 16 3B, 45 HR, 420 TB, 215 OPS+
Oscar Charleston, per 162 games: .364/.449/.615, 360 TB, 184 OPS+
Buck Leonard: .345/.450/.589, 342 TB, 181 OPS+
Norman "Turkey" Stearns: .349/.417/.617, 383 TB, 177 OPS+
James "Cool Papa" Bell: .325/.395/.446, 155 R, 35 2B, 10 3B, 39 SB, 287 TB, 126 OPS+
Charles "Bullet" Rogan: .338/.413/.521, 254 TB, 152 OPS+ and 275 IP, 1.157 WHIP, 2.70 ERA, 161 ERA+
Satchel Paige: 199 IP, 1.092 WHIP, 2.16 ERA, 152 ERA+

the world series should have been called the white series

Moderator Action: Let's keep race out of this please, unless you plan on starting a thread on race relations in baseball. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
In an interview about Summer of Soul, Questlove says Mavis Staples and Gladys Knight told him they were still using the famous "Green Book" into the 1980s. :(

You've had your covid jabs and there are no murder hornets in your yard. Time to relax.
WTF!
Monkeypox: More than 200 contacts tracked in US for rare disease
More than 200 people in 27 US states are being tracked for possible rare monkeypox infections,health officials say.
They fear people may have come in to contact with a Texas man who brought the disease in from Nigeria earlier this month.
The man - believed to be the first monkeypox case in the US since 2003 - was taken to hospital but is in a stable condition.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57919573

You've had your covid jabs and there are no murder hornets in your yard. Time to relax.
WTF!
More than 200 people in 27 US states are being tracked for possible rare monkeypox infections,health officials say.
They fear people may have come in to contact with a Texas man who brought the disease in from Nigeria earlier this month.
The man - believed to be the first monkeypox case in the US since 2003 - was taken to hospital but is in a stable condition.

And bird flu is threatening:

India probes its first human death from bird flu (H5N1, 22 Jul 2021)
China reports first human case of H10N3 bird flu (2 Jun 2021)
Russia reports first case of human infection with H5N8 bird flu (20 Feb 2021)

Note they are all different strains, I am not at all sure what is going on.

And bird flu is threatening:

India probes its first human death from bird flu (H5N1, 22 Jul 2021)
China reports first human case of H10N3 bird flu (2 Jun 2021)
Russia reports first case of human infection with H5N8 bird flu (20 Feb 2021)

Note they are all different strains, I am not at all sure what is going on.
Over the Winter here, seasonal flu was almost nonexistent. If I understood it correctly, the hypothesis was that the precautions everyone was taking against COVID-19 - and possibly because our immune systems had already rang the bell for general quarters - had effectively stifled the lesser coronaviruses. I almost always get at least one cold every year, and I didn't this past year. There was a term for this that was floating around, but I forget what it was. Anyway, I wonder if there could be some sort of 'rebound' effect.

Over the Winter here, seasonal flu was almost nonexistent. If I understood it correctly, the hypothesis was that the precautions everyone was taking against COVID-19 - and possibly because our immune systems had already rang the bell for general quarters - had effectively stifled the lesser coronaviruses. I almost always get at least one cold every year, and I didn't this past year. There was a term for this that was floating around, but I forget what it was. Anyway, I wonder if there could be some sort of 'rebound' effect.

We had a rebound effect here with RVS.

Personally I haven't had a cold since 2019 iirc.

I have not had a cold for over a year as well.

Really basic things don't change, and with the work-from-home and mask-social-distance, we all sort of replicated one aspect of farm life from the 1800s. Which is great. Getting colds sucks, it's nice not to have them. But when everyone starts to mix up again, sustained and in earnest, it would pay to remember that bullets did less than half the killing in the American Civil War. Farm boys with no previous immunities and sick in Army camps did ~2/3 of the dying. That's too simplified, but. Ya'know. It doesn't have to be real precise to get the general effect.

This looks like a possible Nobel prize winner, or it will help others to make some very important
breakthroughs...

AI breakthrough could spark medical revolution
Artificial intelligence has been used to predict the structures of almost every protein made by the
human body.

The 350,000 protein structures were predicted by a DeepMind program called AlphaFold. This total
number includes not only the 20,000 contained in the human proteome, but also those of so-called
model organisms used in scientific research, such as E. coli, yeast, the fruit fly and the mouse.

This giant leap in capability is described by a team from DeepMind and the European Molecular
Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in the prestigious journal Nature.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57929095

Spotify played a song by a guy named Sananda Maitreya, and I thought "gosh, this guy sounds just like Terrence Trent D'Arby." Turns out, he was Terrence Trent D'Arby.

Wikipedia said:
D'Arby legally changed his name to Sananda Maitreya on October 4, 2001, explaining, "Terence Trent D'Arby was dead... he watched his suffering as he died a noble death. After intense pain I meditated for a new spirit, a new will, a new identity".[16] Maitreya has said that his name change resulted from a series of dreams he had in 1995. Though the name does not have any religious significance, Maitreya explained that he understood it to mean "rebirth" in Sanskrit.[17] Sānanda means "possessed of happiness",[18] and Maitreya means "friendly, kind, loving, benevolent".

WTF!

The more monkeys, the better!

So the colonizer were there for humanitarian mission and doing noble cause, I mean wow, I can't imagine how for hundreds of years they were brainstormed to see oppression as charity, evil as good, wrong as right, imprisonment as freedom, colonialism as opportunity.

IIRC, Christianizing the natives, :whipped: allowed their souls to be saved. :please: Any other course condemned them to eternal damnation. :devil:

It's been a lesson often reinforced.

TWIL (this weekend I learned) that the red, black and green flag was designed by Marcus Garvey as a flag for the African diaspora. It's known as the Pan-African flag. It was approved by the Universal Negro Improvement Association (the UNIA) in 1920. I've seen this flag around here and there for years, hanging in a shop or something. I always thought it was a kind of unofficial flag for African-Americans, kind of like the LGBTQ rainbow flag. I guess I figured it was probably from the 1960s or early 70s. It turns out it's much older than that, and not strictly for African-Americans.

Browsing Wikipedia, Garvey and the UNIA were contemporaries of W.E.B. Dubois and the NAACP, though of course the latter is mainly concerned with African-American issues and politics. Where DuBois believed in integration, Garvey was a separatist. It's a bit simplistic, but I suppose you could correlate DuBois and Garvey with their 1960s counterparts, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. Wikipedia notes that Garvey had an impact on Rastafarianism (he was Jamaican) and the (American) Nation of Islam. I should go find a book on this guy; pretty much all I know about him is what's at the top of his Wikipedia page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom