Tomatekh's New Civilizations

JFD will release the newest version (likely the final one) of JFDLC very soon. So I would recommend @Tomatekh to try adding supports after then. I have no knowledge of modding, but I understand that it is a time consuming task for both JFD and Tomatekh to make them all compatible with each other. So I guess if @Tomatekh still has intention to work on the compatibility, it would be better to do them after JFD finish up his mods. I am side with Tomatekh on the issue of instant worker, as it does not really fit with mechanics of Civ V. You could disenable that feature from the usersetting file of JFDLC mods in case if you encounter any unfriendly problem.
As far as I know, JFD won't do much if problems are caused by CP. so if you want to play more Civs, I guess it would be wise to choose CP or plus JFDLC. if you like VP and it's mechanics, you probably need to drop civs mods cause there are not many of them "officially" compatible. Luckily, custom civs in VP are completely reworked, and there are 43 of them.
Both Tomatekh and JFD are elite modders of Civ V, and I respect them for their contribution. So far we have had enough Civs, overhaul mods to play. Without their efforts, Civ V won't be classsic as it is today. So I think we can give them a break or make thing easier for them to handle. : )

- The culture problem in an interaction with the CP as I adjusted for it in normal games. I thought I also corrected for it when using the CP, but - since I'm not sure of all of the workings of the CP - it's possible I only partially adjusted for the issue. However, it's also equally as likely that I did adjust for it correctly and a later update to CP completely negated the support. I'll go back and see if it's possible to correct for without also interfering with normal games.

- I believe this is another issue with the CP. However, it likely can't be corrected for without compromising it working correctly in normal games. I use my own method to adjust for unique religious units which does automatically replace the great prophet and also corrects for the bug which allows civs to faith purchase other civ's unique religious units (which you'll see when using civs like Bhutan and the Zapotecs which use the other method). The CP corrects this bug but apparently interacts with my method. However, if it's between choosing it working in normal games and it working in CP games, I'm going side with normal games.

(Both of those are examples of why modders hate the CP/CBP. Besides over-frequent updates that completely negate any previous support you might have added, it [even just the CP] also changes a lot of interactions with the base game that it doesn't need to. I'm still of the opinion that the CBP is essentially a total conversion mod and, as such, any CBP support for other mods should fall on Gazebo).

- The Old Man Above will correctly adjust for changes in the threshold and game speed. The implementation hasn't changed, though. It still forces the spawn earlier instead of actually changing the threshold as that's simply easier to do.

~~~

- I'm not going to support the instant worker charges in my mods, and your error report for the Kuikuro sums up why. See, I actually already added support for it to the Kuikuro... twice. If it's not working now that means JFD likely changed something about it since I last added support. If it's also not currently working for the Kuikuro that likely means the support I added for similar situations in the Garamantes, Xia, Shang, Caral, Harappa, and the Olmec is also not working. Of course, no one informed me that its implementation was changed and that's collectively several hours of work I did on my mods wasted. My motivation to support also isn't helped since I don't think that instant worker charges works very well with the Civ V mechanics. I'm more than happy to support JFD's mods as he's an amazing talent and his stuff adds a lot of great ideas, but for changes like this which are so far reaching while also affecting such an inherent base game mechanic, I feel support would be best handled on his end to adjust for specific exceptions.

- Kuikuro already has a jungle start bias.

- I've looked into it before. Mutual support can't really be added without Leugi also updating PeC which is unlikely to happen at this point.

Thanks for feedback and investigation done. Can understand your comments with regards to the frequent updates of CP and challenges for modders to keep supporting, although personally I do feel that just the CP (don't care about CBP) has very much improved the base game, AI logic, etc. so never play without it anymore. And I very much enjoy using your mods too, so to use combination is perfect :)

Hope you manage to find solution for the Mississippi Culture issue - think this is the big one. The other things mentioned are minor compared...

On worker charge: I have not experienced a bug regarding workers with any of your other civs, so I do believe this to be related to just the Kuikuro (besides the bug with Harappan Bullock Cart/worker, but that's different issue). Broken support might be related to a merging of JFD gameplay mods into 1 (JFDLC) that hopefully goes public soon, so agree with Yingcheng that might make most sense to look at it once that's done. Might be as easy as to update a reference, since don't think mechanics of worker charge itself has really changed...

On the Great Spy mod: works really well and no CTD or other big errors so far (turn 210). Few comments:
- When my Great Spies are caught on a mission, I don't notice a diplo hit of some sorts. Is there a consequence for getting caught, other than Great Spy killed?
- Didn't experience yet AI using Great Spy on me... could just be lack of Intelligence resource as I assume AI knows how to use
- Great Spy didn't pick up Kilimanjaro adjacency bonus. Not sure though if applies to all Great People
- Unknown resource seems to appear exactly midway the Intelligence progress or is it randomized?

So the Olmecs in the pack is not the one compatibility with CBO?

Enginseer's done a CBP version of the Olmecs anyway hasn't he?

JFD will release the newest version (likely the final one) of JFDLC very soon. So I would recommend @Tomatekh to try adding supports after then. I have no knowledge of modding, but I understand that it is a time consuming task for both JFD and Tomatekh to make them all compatible with each other. So I guess if @Tomatekh still has intention to work on the compatibility, it would be better to do them after JFD finish up his mods. I am side with Tomatekh on the issue of instant worker, as it does not really fit with mechanics of Civ V. You could disenable that feature from the usersetting file of JFDLC mods in case if you encounter any unfriendly problem.
As far as I know, JFD won't do much if problems are caused by CP. so if you want to play more Civs, I guess it would be wise to choose CP or plus JFDLC. if you like VP and it's mechanics, you probably need to drop civs mods cause there are not many of them "officially" compatible. Luckily, custom civs in VP are completely reworked, and there are 43 of them.
Both Tomatekh and JFD are elite modders of Civ V, and I respect them for their contribution. So far we have had enough Civs, overhaul mods to play. Without their efforts, Civ V won't be classsic as it is today. So I think we can give them a break or make thing easier for them to handle. : )

Dw YC, Tom knows how to add CulDiv support :p

But yea like come on people CBP support isn't a common thing for a reason; it's a pain to keep up with and it's also difficult to add support for something that you don't play. If you want support to happen, then I guess making your own modmod for the civs in question to make db changes to account for the CBP stuff and then posting it on the thread you guys have for that stuff would be a far more effective way of getting it...

Well I was just wondering since the pack has been updated many times since the CBP version was released. Also the CBP version has not been updated in awhile.

I'm actually working on a CBP extension of Sumer in my spare time right now, so I guess my timing is good? Sumer and the Goths are my favorite mods, so I wanted to try importing them into CBP for my own use.

Unfortunately I can't seem to make the .lua for the bonus starting population to work. Loading CBP seems to interact with ChangePopulation() in some way. I'm still working through the bugs slowly, since my knowledge of modding is extremely limited.

I'm actually working on a CBP extension of Sumer in my spare time right now, so I guess my timing is good? Sumer and the Goths are my favorite mods, so I wanted to try importing them into CBP for my own use.

Unfortunately I can't seem to make the .lua for the bonus starting population to work. Loading CBP seems to interact with ChangePopulation() in some way. I'm still working through the bugs slowly, since my knowledge of modding is extremely limited.

The CP breaks that for some reason, yea; the same issue was found with CulDiv's old Mesopotamian bonus, hence why it had to be changed to a free source of Wheat. Good old Community Patch huh...

I forgot to thank you for the official release of the Mississippi and Poverty Point. I have really enjoyed playing both of them, especially the Mississippi.

@Tomatekh

Would you be willing to still update the Harappa mod with the fix for the bullock cart in CS territory? Believe you mentioned having the fix already but wanting to wait with updating until there would be few more fixes to incorporate, but after many months it seems your other mods are flawless :). Hope you can get around to it!

Few more suggestions as I've just started a game with Garamantes and also using JFDLC. Decisions have been enhanced and might be interesting to tap into if not too much work:
- Standard format for decisions (see below) which looks bit nicer and reads more clearly.
- JFDLC introduces other administrators to expend besides magistrates (see below e.g. captains). Noticed that for the Garamantes-decisions captains instead of magistrates would make more sense (since war-related), so just wanted to highlight this new addition to decisions in case you ever want to update.

Thanks in advance!

upload_2018-4-8_17-37-14.png

Last edited:
Are you using the individual one or the one in the Cradles of Civilization pack? I believe the pack had some updates.

@Stef09

It's become kind of hassle to update mods these days (for various reasons), especially the really big ones like the Cradles pack. Unless it's something game breaking, I'm kind of content to let them be for the moment.

That said, if you want the Bullock Cart's ability to also function in city-state territory you can use this:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/tequt197oa85heh/Harappa Lua Check.lua

Both the stand alone and packed version of the civ should have a same named lua file in their folders somewhere, just overwrite it with the downloaded file.

I haven't really played around with JFDLC enough to see the changes he made to the decision system. I'll look into, thanks!

(Also, just to note, I know I haven't replied to this thread in a while. I do still read all the posts and try to solve any major problems posted, I just have a lot less time to mod these days).

Last edited:
@Tomatekh

Many thanks for sharing this! Am playing a game with it right now so will hopefully soon be able to confirm it works! :)

Then one other positive surprise for me: you mentioned a while ago that some of your mods would not support the worker build charges that JFDLC uses and indeed I noticed this when playing Garamantes and wanting to build Foggara, which took several turns to complete. However, the Harappan Bullock Cart does work with build charges 'out-of-the-box', so I'm wondering if things in this code might help to find a fix for some of the other civs where build charges do not work, for instance the Kuikuro. Respect any time-constraints or otherwise reservations you might have, but thought I'd mention anyway in case it sparks your interest...

@Tomatekh

I've noticed that the Foggara for the garamantes don't get bonuses for the five-year plan, military industrial complex, or for urbanization. is this intentional?

@Tomatekh

I've noticed that the Foggara for the garamantes don't get bonuses for the five-year plan, military industrial complex, or for urbanization. is this intentional?

Yes, the UI is not meant to act the same as mines or quarries late game. It's primarily to provide a large food bonus early game. Late game they do get a gold bonus from something, I forget, providing a decent 6 yield mixed tile and fresh water, but you have the option of replacing it with more specified production improvements late game if you need.

That said, if I was still editing my Civ V civs, I'd probably change the tech requirement for the UI one tier lower so it comes out slightly sooner, but I've lost all my Civ V modbuddy files when my computer died and am no longer able to update any of them.

I have also noticed that in VP, the 3/4UC Moroccan Kasbah graphic seems to get replaced by the Foggara graphic on the map when using the VP version of Garamantes. It is simply cosmetic, as the bonuses still seem correct. I am about to take a look at the files to see if I can figure out what they are sharing and why.

lol Nevermind. I see clearly why. It was intentional. In Tomatekh_Foggaras.sql the Kasbah art is replaced by Foggara.

I tend to make a lot of Civs available and let random luck generate who is on the map. This current game, I have several Civs from the same geographic region, but different historical periods duking it out. I have 2 North African civs and three Americas at the same time among the 23 civs on this continent.

I love your work and thank you for giving us hours of increased fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom