1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Tomatekh, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

So, first I feel I need to apologize. I know I promised to fix my spy mod months ago. I didn't abandon the project. The truth is, after working on it and other projects for so long, I simply ended up feeling burnt out in modding in general. So, I've sort of been taking a break from any heavy stuff.

However, it's actually been somewhat beneficial because returning to the mod I've been able to look at the problem from a new angle. I'd been too stuck in my head and the way I'd been coding the mod for months.

I'm pleased to announce that I've finally been able to code a version that has successfully gotten past the crash in Stef09's's save! So, I believe I've solved that crash. Of course, I don't know if that was the only crash in the mod, but it does mean it should be more stable overall.
    (And I'd like to thank Stef09 again for the save. It was tremendously helpful).

So, here's the new version:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/clyn6o28anbql87/Great Spy (Brave New World) (v 12).civ5mod

I know it's been 5 months :/ and I don't know how many people still care or still play Civ V. If some of you do and want to play test the new version, I would really appreciate some feedback on its stability before putting it back up on Steam.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    SLGray, 1760s and Stef09 like this.
  2. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

Is it compatible with JFDDLC?

3. YINGCHENG

YINGCHENG Warlord

I would love to test it in this week. Well done, Tomatekh! Do you have any unreleased project related with Civ 5 that you want to keep working on other Than the great spy? I hope you do because you are a such elite modder.

Stef09 likes this.
  4. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Awesome work and thanks for the effort in updating and bringing it back! Love the quality of all your mods (incl all your civs), so very excited to see this!!

Great to hear the save and feedback was valuable!! Can't wait to try this new version!! Unfortunately I'll be away for 2 weeks as of tomorrow, but will for sure test the new version straight after and provide feedback...

5. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

I'll just say everyone should be cautiously optimistic. Although I did solve the specific crash that was in the save, I don't know if that was the only crash affecting the mod. Honestly, this is probably the most complex mod I made for V (even more so than Xia), so there's a fair chance there might be other problems I still need to fix.

Again, if you encounter any bugs or crashes please try to include an error report. If you are able to provide saves with a repeatable crash, that greatly increases my chance of actually fixing the problem ( and if those saves have a minimal mod list so it's not a huge effort just to load up, that also helps :p )

The last crash ended up being related to city-states and barbarians. If you do get a crash, you can also try a game with both turned off to see if it works. There was also the potential for a graphical base crash with the "unknown resource revealed" mechanic, but I think this was either an all or none situation (either this never worked for you or it always did).

It was when I originally released it. I have no idea if JFD made changes to his mods since then. If he has and it's no longer compatible, it will be up to him to include compatibility in his next update. The mod has had enough problems working as it is without also accommodating changes to other mods.

I have been motivated recently to finish up any loose ends I left with Civ V modding, but there's other issues holding back my other stuff. I am looking into it. It'll also depend on if the Great Spy still needs more work as I only have so much time to mod these days.

Thanks! Your bug reports have always been a great help when fixing my mods!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    dilophosaur likes this.
  6. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

Thanks for quick reply.

7. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Brief report: just started quick game with a.o. Great Spy mod and Harappa. Stayed in Ancient Era but so far all concerning Great Spy mod looks good! Only observation is that the Mystery Cult pantheon is bit underwhelming, as one typically won't have much unemployed citizens in the beginning. Perhaps this can be improved by more faith or gold, or providing some sort of Intelligence bonus?

However on Harappa as I was playing with this civ, I remembered there still being a bug open (few pages back, around February) causing bullock cart 'trade luxury'-feature not to work in CS territory. Is this something you could still fix?

Another weird one I hadn't seen before yet (which I expect to be more of CP issue tbh) is that I can't create land trade route even though target city is within 10 spaces of my capital. From a 2nd city closer to target cities (8 spaces or so) I am able to utilize the Harappan free caravan to create land trade route.

My mod list:
    CP v88 (7-18-1)
    Great Spy v12
    Harappa v55
    HR v45
    E&D v3

Attached Files:

• Logs.zip
      File size:
      329.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Another question for people using the new version: Do you see the event messages informing you when an AI uses a Great Spy against you? I know the AI is using the unit, but I don't remember if I fixed the notification issue.
    I actually did fix the Harappa thing internally months ago. However, any fix to a cradle civ also requires me to edit the cradle pack and I usually hold off on updating the cradle pack until a few fixes pile up because its size makes it a hassle to upload/download. Then I took my break from modding. It will get uploaded eventually.

9. Dorayaki

Dorayaki Chieftain

Do you still make new mods or new civilizations?(My computer too old to play civ 6, crash and crash)

10. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

I'm not starting any new projects for V, but I have a few things I never officially released that I still work on every now and then.

11. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

So, two people have commented that the new Great Spy build seemed much more stable. I think it still has some more bugs, but I'm going to post the update to the download links. It might get me some more feedback to correct everything. If it still proves too crash happy, I'll just take it down again.

I've also corrected the issue with the unknown resources' icons not displaying in the strategic view.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Danmacsch and Stef09 like this.
  12. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Okay first, I have to apologize to the few people who have sent me PMs here on Civfanatics the past few months. I never replied to most of you; it wasn't deliberate. It was just around the same time that I took a break from modding and I didn't mean any offense. Sorry!

13. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1110796159
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1110793290

So, they're released!?!?!

Okay, the artwork... the icons are okay, the leaders are unfortunate, and the art for both (especially Poverty Point) don't have much historical merit. However, I know a lot of people were looking forward to these mods – and I hated leaving them as they were – so I did the best I could to finish them and get them to a releasable state. I hope the art doesn’t stop anyone from enjoying the mods.

There's a link to a direct download via Dropbox on the Steam pages.

And with that, I've actually released every mod I said I was going to release. I think that allows me to declare myself the best Civ V modder!!! :p

These will likely be the last mods that I release for Civ V. I hope everyone has enjoyed my work for the game over the past few years!

Let me know about any bugs you find and I'll do my best to fix them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Stef09, YINGCHENG, retrocity5 and 2 others like this.
  14. Danmacsch

Danmacsch Geheimekabinetsminister

Glad to see them out (officially)! I've always enjoyed your mods tremendously and they - together with works of a line of other modders - have definitely been part of the reason why I went into civ5 modding. Thank you Tom :)

15. 1760s

1760s Chieftain

Congrats on the release! Thanks for your years of hard work and excellent mods.

16. retrocity5

retrocity5 The American Monarchist

Congrats on your release! You've done tremendous work.

17. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Great stuff, many thanks!!

18. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Thanks everyone!

I hope you're not too disappointed with the art... I know everyone was secretly hoping for one last batch of Janboruta or Leugi or Sukritact stuff :p

I figured it was better than never releasing them at all, and I felt bad just leaving the mods like they were. I also fixed a number of bugs that were in the previous builds.

Actually, I don't think the Poverty Point art is that bad. Certainly not the quality of my other mods - and completely historically inaccurate - but overall okay. The Mississippi is definitely less so (especially the leader stuff). However, on the positive side, the Mississippi's art actually has some historical merit :p

retrocity5 and Stef09 like this.
  19. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

Well the art looks better than any I've ever done, so quit moaning :p

20. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Well, art quality matters. There's no denying this.

Actually, I think the reason that Poverty Point seems more popular than the Mississippi on Steam (despite the Mississippi being a much more recognizable civ) is because Poverty Point has better art :p

Of course, no one probably cares about Civ V mods anymore or looks at the V workshop, anyway :/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    dilophosaur likes this.