Tomatekh's Timurids for VP

You need to replace Samarkand CS with something else than Muscat. UCS from @Enginseer alreade adds that CS.

The mod adds Sana'a as the new city-state. Sana'a is the capital of Yemen. I believe at one point I said the new city-state was muscat, which is the capital of Oman, so I must have gotten confused.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Ah, thats ok.

So I have resolved the issue for getting the yields onto the registan for each trade route via lua. I have not been able to get the lua working for constructing captured buildings in the capital, but it's literally 1000 lines of code, so an errant "." could be derailing everything.

I'm wondering if people might be interested in an alternative to the static yields on city-capture, since both components of the UA work only off of city conquest right now?

Alternative proposal:
Pillaging Great Person Tile Improvements gives an instant 50 :c5goldenage: GAP, scaling with era, and +1 of the relevant yield in your capital permanently
  • +1:c5faith: for holy sites,
  • +1:c5production: for manufactories
  • +1:c5science: for academies
  • +1:c5gold: for towns, colonias and oppida
  • +1:c5war: for citadels

Last edited:
@pineappledan Send me fresh version please. I saw there were major changes. I downloaded old one you sent me but honestly hadn't enough time to look at something. I was dedicated to few other project I started and needed it finished. Maybe now I could try to do something. What lua files need to be checked/reworked and what do you want to achieve/what doesn't work?

@pineappledan Send me fresh version please. I saw there were major changes. I downloaded old one you sent me but honestly hadn't enough time to look at something. I was dedicated to few other project I started and needed it finished. Maybe now I could try to do something. What lua files need to be checked/reworked and what do you want to achieve/what doesn't work?
I have sent you an email with the lua in it. Thanks for taking a look for me.

Better send me whole project. If I need do playtesting then with only lua it will be immpossible. Or maybe rest of stuff is untouched and I can substitute luas?

The rest is minimally touched. The only issue was the unique unit had an error with the upgrade from goody huts. Nothin else is changed

I saw just the code you sent me. Uhh, it is enormous. MAybe I will try to put it into a loop through building table, checking each building. Is there any reason you made separate ifs for each building?

I saw just the code you sent me. Uhh, it is enormous. MAybe I will try to put it into a loop through building table, checking each building. Is there any reason you made separate ifs for each building?
Yeah, in the original idea I wanted it to check for unique buildings, and upgrade normal buildings into their unique replacements if applicable. This requires each civ to be checked for individually.

The a loop just looking for default buildings is that the vanilla version of the civ uses, and I’m considering just going back to that. It’s much more elegant, much less likely to result in janky strategies, and easier to balance

Yeah, lets leave uniques to their nations, I think. It's like with our other ideas. Too low gain at high cost. But maybe it would be possible to make loop with uniques if you want I could try. At least. I would must check it carefuly later. For now I only scanned the file.

So second thing on destroy is also droppped. Anything left to check beside Jewel?

Everything else I tested seemed to work fine. With that portion of the UA scrapped, however, I would need to come up with something else.

Some ideas:
Option 1:
Your Palace gains +2:c5culture: Culture whenever you capture a City, and +2 of the relevant yield whenever you pillage a Great Person Tile. Buildings from captured cities are immediately constructed in your :c5capital: Capital.

Option 2:
+1 to all yields from your Palace Whenever a unique city is Captured and +100% :c5greatperson: Great Person generation while :c5razing: razing a city. Buildings from captured cities are immediately constructed in your :c5capital: Capital.

Option 3:
+20 :c5goldenage: Golden Age Points and :c5greatperson: Great Person Points whenever you pillage a Tile Improvement, scaling with Era. Buildings from captured cities are immediately constructed in your :c5capital: Capital.

I personally like the second option - I think it is very thematic. The way you need unique cities heavily encourages razing. In addition, giving one of each yield represents the slaves brought back to Samarkand much more nicely than culture alone.

The 100% Great Person generation seems very high though. Maybe decrease it to 20% for each city being razed?

Also, in a previous version I remember razing cities also increased the supply cap. Is there a reason it was removed?

Option 1 would give +2 supply cap for pillaging citadels.

Option 2 can’t have +supply because there is literally not enough space in the UA description for it.

I’m leaning towards option 1 right now

Last edited:
What happens if the improvement gets repaired and then you pillage it again?

Then you get the bonus again. There's historical precedent for that; Timur conquered much of Transoxiana, but failed to put any effective administration in place. The territory would rise up again in rebellion and he'd have to conquer it over again. It also depicts how Timur would abduct the greatest minds in his conquests.

How about this?
Your Palace gains +2:c5culture: Culture and +2% :c5greatperson: Great Person Generation rate whenever you capture a City, and +2 of the relevant yield whenever you pillage a Great Person Tile. Buildings from captured cities are immediately constructed in your :c5capital: Capital.

This might encourage players to pillage the improvements, withdraw until they are repaired, and then come pillage again. Could this be abused, or are you not concerned due to the rarity of great person improvements?

This might encourage players to pillage the improvements, withdraw until they are repaired, and then come pillage again. Could this be abused, or are you not concerned due to the rarity of great person improvements?
Not concerned. GPTs are pretty rare. It's also very similar to the Denmark playstyle, but Timurids' is more surgical, and more concerned with snowballing from long-term bonuses, rather than instant boosts.

Last edited:
I started modifying your timurids lua files. Stay tunned. I will look through all code.

Top Bottom