• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Top 10 Bomber Aircraft of All Time

No. I suggested that also by the 10 best ships of the world. I think it is weired to compare things with different tasks.
Torpedo bomber, although I though about that myself, are a dead end evolution form about 1916- 1950. If you wants it in, we can introduce them here, too, nevertheless.

Adler

Thorgalaeg said:
In find that afirmation notable, leaving aside that the Tupolev is a much larger haevier faster...

Tu-16

Canberra

...it is a totally different plane.
oops - wrong comparison!

it's the IL-28 Beagle and the Electric Canberra i am thinking of...

Here is the same, what I said already in the fighter thread. Except fear factor and innovation the other criterias are not very suited. Production numbers are different from time to time and do not say something about the quality. The Zeppelin Staaken R VI was produced only about 30 times and did have such an impact. The B 24 was produced much more, more, than it would be the case today. Also earlier bomber were not able to carry so many bombs like today.
Are there any suggestions for better criterias to fill in?

Adler

Where is that thread than? and i doubt the Tiger 2 would reach that list, too few, mechanical problems etc.

deo said:
Where is that thread than? and i doubt the Tiger 2 would reach that list, too few, mechanical problems etc.
If you look into it most tanks have had mechanical problems. Entire British and Russian and US production runs had major defects. King Tiger was still a brutal heavy tank that was just about immune to any allied tank for example.

Yeah of course, but that tank wasnt succesfull, it didnt change anything but I remeber a quote saying you need 20 M4 shermans just to take out one Tiger, a Tiger through.

El Justo said:
i actually have the hand-written list for the tanks...and apc's, too. just haven't had a chance to post them yet. i will though - soon enough :)
Let me guess - the Abrams wins, with Shermans as runner-ups.
APC...that one is tougher. But I'm positive about Bradleys ending out on top as well. :lol:

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Let me guess - the Abrams wins, with Shermans as runner-ups.
APC...that one is tougher. But I'm positive about Bradleys ending out on top as well. :lol:
heh - nope to 1st part. i was a little surprised actually about the no. 1 tank. and the sherman wasn't no. 2 either (nor should it be - it was rather rinky-dink comapred to other tanks of the era).

and nope to the 2nd one! it was on the list though...

while there was some American armor on the lists, it was not nearly as packed as the others were (air and sea).

i'll try and get the armor lists up this weekend as the list itself is at my home PC.

Cmon, America never had good Armor, only produced A LOT of those, i suppose the Leopard 2 is ranked quite high, T-34 can be nr.1, Pz III?

the Abrams is a beast i think. i mean, it might be the best tank (M1A2, etc) today.

the patton series weren't so shabby either although compared to some Soviet stuff and some other Euro stuff, it leaves a little left to be desired. this weekend i'll get to post the entire list for debate, etc :)

ive seen this show.. they have a whole series. And no the Abrams comes in 2nd. Good series though

Zardnaar said:
Been there done that. Abrams, King Tiger 2, Panther, M36, T34, JS2, etc.
Right, so where do the Merkava sit on that list? That tank is probably one of a few that could duke it out with an Abrams.

I friend of mine was a tanker in the US Army, he served in the Liberation of Iraq, but is now retired. I remeber him telling me, when he was a tank school, they were learning to identify sillouettes of various vehicles. They were taught that if you see one of the following three, to just get out of your tank and run, because you WILL NOT WIN.
1) Mi-24 Hind

2) SU-25 Frogfoot

3)MK-4 Merkava MBT

Also, where does the KV-1 stand? As I recall, she was a pre-T34 force to be reckoned with.

My Grandpa was the founder of Consolidated aircraft. He built the B-24 Bomber. SO I have met 1000s of service men who would probably agree that the B-24 belongs on this list.

The Liberator might have deserved listing, but it had sever deficiencies - it is said flyers much prefered to fly the more rugged -17.

I'm surprised the B-47 made it, however.

The B24s shortcomings were what allowed it to fly so deep in to German territory. Destroying alot of Germany's ability to produce war. Air and defense factories. Theres some that say the War probably couldnt have been won without it. The B17 couldnt get deep enough. Great plane still.

Top Bottom