• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Top 10 Bomber Aircraft of All Time

I'd have to agree with the B-52 getting top billing. After all, it's been in service for 50 years and the air force plans on keeping it in service for 40-50 more. The B-1,developed as its replacement has been relegated to specialized roles. The B-52 is hands down the best long range heavy bomber.

How the heck do you rate the B-17 lower than the Tu95 or B-47? How the heck would those two really rate being on the list at all?

Where's the Lancaster? The B-24?

The B-52 has an impressive, but I think the B-17's combat history gives it a near uncontested claim on the #1 spot.

the list is certainly subjective. no doubt. i can understand your sentiment regarding the b-47. but the tu-95 deserves to be on the list imo. and don't forget that this isn't my list. it's from a Military Channel program that is still being shown...

I would have to agree on the B-52 looking at the initial reasons given for why the military channel chose that line-up of bombers. And the B-17 was really the first innovator for strategic bombing being developed prior to the start of WWII.

It would take some thought to come up with 2 - 10, but there can be ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that the greatest bomber of all time is the B-52.

Almost 56 years of service and still going. What other aircraft even comes close to that mark?

Almost 56 years of service and still going. What other aircraft even comes close to that mark?

The MiG 15 and F-86 are both in service still, as is the E-2 Hawkeye. The A-4 Skyhawk also finds use around the world, as does the C-47. In fact, I believe the Skytrain has a longer service operation than the B-52 does.

Loads indeed.
B-52 (first prototype flew in 1952):

C-47 (1934) :rolleyes:
F-86 Sabre (1947)
Mig-15 (1948)
English Electric Canberra (1949)
Mig-17 (1950)
Tu-16 (1952)
Tu-95 (1952)
Mig-19 (1954)
C-130 Hercues (1954)
A-4 Skyhawk (1954)
Mirage III (1955)
C-135 (1955)
Mig-21 (1956)
F-4 Phantom (1958)...

The MiG 15 and F-86 are both in service still, as is the E-2 Hawkeye. The A-4 Skyhawk also finds use around the world, as does the C-47. In fact, I believe the Skytrain has a longer service operation than the B-52 does.
1. Yes however the Mig-15, F-86, and A-4 are all fighters not bombers, although the A-4 is an "attack" aircraft it is not a dedicated bomber.
2. The C-47 is a transport aircraft not a bomber.

These aircraft only see service in backwater air forces of the world. The B-52 is has been in service with what is arguably the most powerful air force in the world, with the most powerful country in the world for 56 years.

For that matter, the U.S.S. Constitution is still in service with the United State Navy and has been for hundreds of years, but that doesn't make it the best warship ever.

Of course, age has nothing as much to do with it as much as the aircraft's influence. The B-52s ability to fly around in circles near the artic and give the Soviet Union a moment of pause makes it that aircraft for me.

Call it as you see it. I'll do things my way.

An explication was deserved, well here it is, though only a bit short:

4. FW 200 Condor: The terror of the Atlantic ocean.

Adler

Give me a Marauder with a 75mm gun in the noise. :p

"bring to bear ten machine guns coming and four going, in addition to the 75mm cannon, a brace of eight rockets and 3000 pounds of bombs.

Thanks, cidknee.

Adler

I notice 2 german tanks made the top 10, I am surprised the Leopard was not listed though.

These aircraft only see service in backwater air forces of the world. The B-52 is has been in service with what is arguably the most powerful air force in the world, with the most powerful country in the world for 56 years.
You are absolutely correct I'm sure you can find 3rd world countries still using all kinds of outdated aircraft.

Didn't we discuss the tanks list elsewhere? Anyway I miss the Panther and the Leopard. And the reasons of choosing these tanks, as well as the other things, are questionable. The Sherman was produced in large numbers but was in no way able to cope with a Panther or Tiger in direct duel. Even a Pz IV would be problematically.

Adler

Here in Sweden several TV channels are airing this kind of programs with top 10 lists too. One interesting if rather annoying tendency I've noticed is that they're all nationally biased: American programs tends to promote American vehicles (appr. half of the list entries regardless of category and usually American as No 1), British programs prefers British vehicles (but have an interesting tendency to also hold German vehicles in high esteem! e.g. Leopard 2 as the No 1 tank) and so on. A fine example would be Supermarine Spitfire vs. North American P-51 Mustang; British programs invariably ranks the Spitfire higher than the Mustang, and Americans does it the other way round. Thank God I'm a Swede... :lol:

Ill say the Spitfire as it was an outstanding British Fighter plane of WWII. Very notable for their speeds, ability to make sharp turns and climb altitudes at a rapid rate. Also most famous for their sucessful defense in the Battle of Britian

Here in Sweden several TV channels are airing this kind of programs with top 10 lists too. One interesting if rather annoying tendency I've noticed is that they're all nationally biased: American programs tends to promote American vehicles (appr. half of the list entries regardless of category and usually American as No 1), British programs prefers British vehicles (but have an interesting tendency to also hold German vehicles in high esteem! e.g. Leopard 2 as the No 1 tank) and so on. A fine example would be Supermarine Spitfire vs. North American P-51 Mustang; British programs invariably ranks the Spitfire higher than the Mustang, and Americans does it the other way round. Thank God I'm a Swede... :lol:

the p51 mustang actually entered service in the RAF first and was originally designed for british requirements and it used the same rolls royce merlin engine as the spitfire

the p51 mustang actually entered service in the RAF first and was originally designed for british requirements and it used the same rolls royce merlin engine as the spitfire
It didnt use the same rolls royce engine it used the Allison V-1710 engine originally and then in 1942 they started using the Packard license-built version of the Merlin.

It didnt use the same rolls royce engine it used the Allison V-1710 engine originally and then in 1942 they started using the Packard license-built version of the Merlin.

oh so i was only sort of right but they must have changed because the merlin was better why else would they bother

Top Bottom