Top Ten quotes of '07

White Elk

99 > 1
Heres the Top Ten most memorable quotes of 2007 according
to Fred R. Shapiro (editor of the Yale Book of Quotations).

From Reuters...

#1 ."Don't Tase Me, Bro,"
~ University of Florida student Andrew Meyer during a speech by Sen. John Kerry.

#2 ."I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."
~ Lauren Upton, South Carolinas contestant in the Miss Teen America contest.

#3 ."In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country."
~ Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at Columbia University in New York

#4 ."That's some nappy-headed hos there,"
~ Don Imus in regards to the Rutgers University women's basketball team

#5 . "I don't recall."
~ Former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales (on numerous occasions)

#6 . "There's only three things he (Rudolph Giuliani) mentions in a sentence: a noun and a verb and 9/11."
~ Senator Joseph Biden

#7 . "I'm not going to get into a name-calling match with somebody (Dick Cheney) who has a 9 percent approval rating."
~ Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid

#8 . "(I have) a wide stance when going to the bathroom."
~ Idaho Republican Sen. Larry Craig's explaining why his foot
touched an undercover policemans foot in a men's room.

#9 . "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."
~ Senator Joseph Biden describing Barack Obama

#10 . "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."
~ Former President Jimmy Carter

Whats your most memorable quote from 2007?

They forgot ¿Por qué no te callas?

What's your favourite quote white eelk?

After seeing this thread I tried to find some good ones:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

They forgot ¿Por qué no te callas?

Not speaking Spanish, was that Juan Carlos comment to Hugo Chavez? That would certainly belong onto that list. But then the - interesting - list has only American (aka US) quotes on it, so it isn't a world list. At least not for non-US-citizens ;).

I agree its a US centric list. Hopefully this will start changing in years to come. We can start it here and now by adding to the list. And the "Why don't you shut up!" by King Juan Carlos to President Chavez is a great start! In my book that easilly beats Shapiro's top choice :lol:

What's your favourite quote white eelk?
From that list its Jimmy Carters "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history." which I like best. But it will be Gonzales "I don't recall." which may be the most memorable since I followed the congressional hearings so closely. I actually lol'd at Senator Craig's "(I have) a wide stance when going to the bathroom." I had never heard it till I read that list.

My favorite quote of all time is a very tough one to say. I've a top 100 and probably could make a top 500 with scores to spare. Two quotes come to mind right now though....

"There is enough in the world for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

The Strong Sad quote in my sig is my favorite from 2007.

I think I got a B in Econ 101. I got an A, however, in keeping taxes low.

- George W. Bush

That's a great one! Thank you Godwyn!

You have to trust me on this one, Iran is making nuclear weapon! - George Bush

I think everyone underestimates how much more polite: "Por que no te calles?" is compared to "Callete"

O'REILLY: This is what I believe happened in the Hearst case and in this case. The situation that Hearst found herself in was exciting. She had a boring life. She was a child of privilege. All of a sudden, she's in with a bunch of charismatic thugs, and she enjoyed it. The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted.

VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.

O'REILLY: What?

O'REILLY: Well, I don't believe this kid did. And I think when it all comes down, what's going to happen is, there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances.

Bill O'Reilly on Shawn Hornbeck. Since Bill O'Reilly has yet to explain how being raped through the back door is more fun than gym class, I think he gets the honours.

O'REILLY: This is what I believe happened in the Hearst case and in this case. The situation that Hearst found herself in was exciting. She had a boring life. She was a child of privilege. All of a sudden, she's in with a bunch of charismatic thugs, and she enjoyed it. The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted.

O'REILLY: What?

O'REILLY: Well, I don't believe this kid did. And I think when it all comes down, what's going to happen is, there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances.

Bill O'Reilly on Shawn Hornbeck. Since Bill O'Reilly has yet to explain how being raped through the back door is more fun than gym class, I think he gets the honours.

My hate of ORLY grows stronger and stronger as the days go by.

I think everyone underestimates how much more polite: "Por que no te calles?" is compared to "Callete"

actually it isn't as Juan Carlos comment is precisely what you would say to an annoying child. hence the quotability of "pero por que no te callas?". also, it has been wrongfully translated as "shut up" so often (which "callate" would be).... "Oh do be quiet, will you?" comes closer, I guess.

"I know exactly what Gov. Spitzer's trying to do, and it makes a lot of sense." - Hillary Clinton in mid-October to the editorial board of a New Hampshire newspaper.

"I just want to add, I did not say that it should be done, but I certainly recognize why Gov. Spitzer is trying to do it." - Hillary Clinton in late October during a Democratic debate.

"I've been a hunter pretty much all my life..." - Mitt Romney in early April '07.

"I saw my father march with Martin Luther King." - Mitt Romney during his "Religion in America" speech in December '07.

"Nine-eleven." - Rudy Giuliani in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December '07.

Top Bottom