"Transgender N.J. man sues over firing from job requiring men only"

How many here would be okay with a trans-gendered person watching your junk as you pee in a cup, but would not be okay with it if it was a woman watching?
*raises hand*
Or at least I would prefer a trans-gendered male, who looks like a man, to a woman.

How lame do you even have to be to sue someone because he fired you. Is that something a guy would even do? I mean, if somebody does not wont you around, you sue him in order to force him to be around you or give you money or whatever?
Welcome to the U.S. of A., where you can "slip on the right driveway, and you can become a millionaire." Be sure to keep a lawyer handy, to either sue for someone's estate, or to keep someone from suing for your estate. :D

Imagine someone fired you for being a Croat when he wanted a Serb -- ethnic discrimination

Someone wanted to hire a pretty lady to work in a bank so he fired you --- gender discrimination

Someone fired you because you support a political candidate and he likes another one - political discrimination

See where this is going? Do you think any of this is a good thing?

I would not mind it for none of the above reasons... thats life, their loss, mine not that much

Point being (aside from not looking for work with someone who employs people for some other reason than to make money), all of this may be stupid reasons to fire somebody, but it is still the right an employer has to have.

So an employer has a right to hire whoever he wants without any discrimination laws? So imagine the majority of employers are interested in people who don't fit your description? They should have that right? They should be allowed to discriminate against you for whatever reason they see fit? You aren't the right race, gender, religion, political background, that's fine,

So an employer has a right to hire whoever he wants without any discrimination laws? So imagine the majority of employers are interested in people who don't fit your description? They should have that right? They should be allowed to discriminate against you for whatever reason they see fit? You aren't the right race, gender, religion, political background, that's fine,

Yes, they should "be allowed"
They naturally in general would not "discriminate", because they are after all trying to make money (not searching friends) and employ people who bring in the most for the given cost, but that is of secondary importance

but it is still the right an employer has to have.
If they want that right, they should specifically negotiate for it and get it written in the employment contract. What kind of business expects to be able to exercise contractual rights that aren't written in a contract?

If they want that right, they should specifically negotiate for it and get it written in the employment contract. What kind of business expects to be able to exercise contractual rights that aren't written in a contract?

Again, employer is not a slave master that accepts obligations to provide work and income for the other party until other party desires it (for life), employment is a contract to pay for a certain amount of work of certain quality with certain amount of money

If worker or an employer agree to anything else like life long employment, that should be written in that contract - not the other way around

Any law going against that, regulating that contract and giving workers benefits (benefits my ass, nobody is more hurt by that bull.sh.it than an average worker) is just plain ******ed

Again, employer is not a slave master that accepts obligations to provide work and income for the other party until other party desires it (for life), employment is a contract to pay for a certain amount of work of certain quality with certain amount of money

If worker or an employer agree to anything else like life long employment, that should be written in that contract - not the other way around

Any law going against that, regulating that contract and giving workers benefits (benefits my ass, nobody is more hurt by that [deleted by JR]than an average worker) is just plain ******ed
Basic contract law holds that a good faith standard comes into play when the contract is silent. That is the only way to be fair to both parties to a contract. Thus is an employer is dumb enough not to contract for the right to terminate the contract for a bad reason, they are in breach of contract when they do terminate in such a way.

I don't know actually, the article is unclear. It does say he underwent surgery, but the employer claims that he "did not have the parts of a man". Whatever that means.

What I got from the article is that he underwent the hormone therepy by not the surgery.

The article explicitly said surgery. It was in the same sentence where you read "hormone treatment".

It was ambiguous as to what surgery. If was gender reassignment surgery any self respecting reporter would have said so and its key to this person's case. The fact that they went out of their way to be vague leads me to believe they are talking about more minor stuff like breast implants/reductions or cosmetic facial surgery to get the look right which are far more common to transgendered types as gender reassignment is prohibitively expensive.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110411/ap_on_re_us/us_transgender_lawsuit
Five years ago, he began counseling and male hormone treatments. In 2009, he had sex-reassignment surgery. His driver's license, birth certificate and Social Security cards have all been reissued to reflect that he's a man.

But that does raise another issue: should we treat a transgender person as their choice before or after their 'prohibitively expensive' surgery?

If this is the case then his points make a lot more sense. Guy's got a dick, Patroklos.

The article explicitly said surgery. It was in the same sentence where you read "hormone treatment".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110411/ap_on_re_us/us_transgender_lawsuit

But that does raise another issue: should we treat a transgender person as their choice before or after their 'prohibitively expensive' surgery?

'Sex reassignment' surgery. But its still not descriptive enough to tell whether this was just something like breast reduction or the full-meal deal of trying to construct a penis out of a vagina.

Btw, my wife and I watched a very interesting documentary on this not long ago. It involved a woman having surgery to become a man, and a man having surgery to become a woman. Neither of their experiences were what you would call 'pleasant' and both had significant ongoing medical issues along with their surgerys (the one trying to become a guy continually had his prosthetic balls being rejected and falling out). We both got the impression that people opting to do this were doing so at great risk to their own health, and that often the grass wasnt quite as green on the other side as they had imagined it to be.

Also, just in my opinion, I'm not sure I would call a vagina turned inside out with an inserted prosthetic an actual 'penis' anyway....not anymore than I would call a sock in your undies one.

It's not what I'd want, but there ya go.

I guess my comment was attempting to be supportive of my earlier comment about an employer having a right to know such significant health issues of a potential employee, and this person should have disclosed their trans-gender issues upon employment, and not tried to keep it hid.

We both got the impression that people opting to do this were doing so at great risk to their own health, and that often the grass wasnt quite as green on the other side as they had imagined it to be.

Probably not, but the grass on the side they're born on is not better. To put it this way, transsexual people are damned to a life of agony and suffering. Surgery or not, they don't have a place they belong to in the world. If the guy says he's a woman, he's lying to himself. If the guy says he's a man, he's accused of lying by you guys. With all due respect, I don't think you army types can understand their ordeals - unless you are gay.

*raises hand*
Or at least I would prefer a trans-gendered male, who looks like a man, to a woman.
Why?

Surely they'd both be able to do their job professionally?

Then we're discussing when it is alright to discriminate based on what people are comfortable with?

Err... Ideally, there should be a sex-reassignment surgery center, complete with offices to take care of all the legal paperwork: In as one sex, out as the other.

But for now? Not sure. Depends on context I suppose...

Top Bottom