Troy Davis is Executed

IS there any reasons for them to support such 'brutality'? or is it has anything to do with 'Wild West' culture? where Sheriffs can hang any captured criminals at whim.

IS there any reasons for them to support such 'brutality'? or is it has anything to do with 'Wild West' culture? where Sheriffs can hang any captured criminals at whim.

It's more about the punishment fitting the crime. "Wild West" is so last century.

then 'Eye for an eye'...

now it seems i've found a 'law sage' here :p can you claim that you are one arn't you?

and what about the following crimes
- Gangsterism
- Gunrunning
- Human trafficking
- Theft of authority inventories.

I think its main purpose is a deterrent so that if you are doing something that could get you life in prison like large scale drug sales or robbery it gives you a reason not to violently kill in the process. But it is grossly overused in this country which is what leads to so many potential botchups. There is no reason for any state to be like Texas and have executions in the 100s.

yes if you say that the punishment is 'preventive' measures as well as 'process' itself.

can you tell me more about Texas, is there any Texan laws being viewed as 'barbarism'?

what does one call the Thaksin's reign then? a wild-west dictatorship

The American justice system is a sick joke.

If you insist on having a death penalty, it should ONLY be used when there is 100% certainty about who committed the crime (which itself should be especially abhorrent to warrant a death sentence).

I really don't understand what's so hard about saying "OK, well, there are some doubts, let's re-open the case." I mean for Gods' sake, even Iran usually backs off from their barbaric executions if there is enough international pressure piled up against it.

Yea I dont get why they arent more willing to at least roll the death sentences over into life sentences when doubts start to creep in. I mean no one is saying you have to let him go based on these recanted witnesses, but I think that's enough doubt to at least cancel the death penalty so if more changes in the evidence pop up it isnt too late.

Because it would concede ground and admit the penalty is flawed and open up all sorts of grounds for appeals and challenges to the penalty itself. It might start to call into question the racist and classist nature of capital punishment as she is practised. Hell, it would even call into question the absolutist moral narrative of an effective and righteous justice system punishing evil men and wrongdoers, that a lot of people like so dearly. The death penalty is a political act.

what does one call the Thaksin's reign then? a wild-west dictatorship

Should I ask your origin where do you come from?

Do you refer to his 'crusade against narcotics'? yes he's responsible for the policy but at the operation levels. there are other factors to account for.
1. Drug cartels trying to cover their tracks. (this contribute to death tolls troughout the 'crusade')
2. bad cops mis-interpret the policy. believing that the order is to 'summarily kill all drug trafickers on sight'
There was a debate on Death sentence here though. too bad I am his supporter. ok if asking for which colours I am.. i'd say Red.

I am probably the last one on this forum to throw around accusations of racism, but I am just waiting till someone digs up how many of the witnesses were white policemen and that the jury was also 90% white. Then it will all make a perfect sense...

The Death Penalty is really against Christ's teachings
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."
- Matthew 5:38-41

Yet, it is often many Christians who are mostly in support of it, which is very hypocritical, considering what Jesus said above. If you support the Death Penalty, you are against Jesus Christ. This is in addition to their "Pro-Life" hypocrisy.

Because it would concede ground and admit the penalty is flawed and open up all sorts of grounds for appeals and challenges to the penalty itself. It might start to call into question the racist and classist nature of capital punishment as she is practised. Hell, it would even call into question the absolutist moral narrative of an effective and righteous justice system punishing evil men and wrongdoers, that a lot of people like so dearly. The death penalty is a political act.

how? is it neccessary that 'killing a sinner adds alot more votes in the next election'?

@ kiwitt

Oh yeah. I've never understood how and why should Christians be supportive of the death penalty. According to their beliefs, such a person will be judged by God in any case, and if he is really such a terrible sinner, he'll go to hell for eternity. So why does it matter so much to send him there right now, so that he can rot there for 30 years longer? Or are they afraid that their God is capable of something they're not - forgiveness? Now that would be really ironic...

Good Point. Let God be the final judge ... unless of course, they do not think there is a God who passes final judgement ... unlikely. Human beings are imperfect as says God, so why should we issue a final solution.

Oh ... they may argue "Well if he was innocent, God will take him to heaven". A bit like the "Witches of Salem" who died under drowning by the investigators. - "They must have been innocent". Such flawed logic, is typical of Christians who many can't think rationally. In the meantime a persons life is over. But as we are all immortal anyway according to them, because we either live happily forever in heaven or live forever in pain in hell. So what does it matter what we do on earth to humans. Such poor regard for human life is astonishing.

I support having the death penalty as an option, but really across the entire country it should happen much much much less, mainly for when someone murders a witness to a life sentence worthy crime or for the crimes that are truly monstrous. Single murder cases really shouldnt be ending in the death penalty. And the evidence requirements should be extreme, well beyond the standard "reasonable doubt" requirements.

He should have had the choice to pay the taxpayers back for all those years of free food and housing.

Yea I dont get why they arent more willing to at least roll the death sentences over into life sentences when doubts start to creep in. I mean no one is saying you have to let him go based on these recanted witnesses, but I think that's enough doubt to at least cancel the death penalty so if more changes in the evidence pop up it isnt too late.

"Life Sentence" usually means about 13 years, then they're out and murdering again. We had a case here in Ohio in the 90's where a man stood trial for brutally murdering his commonlaw wife. Defense made a motion to supress a previous conviction. He had earlier served seven years for brutally murdering a previous commonlaw wife, then got out, and did it again.

Further, in the unlikely case than a life sentence actually results in a life sentence, the murderer can still kill - other convicts, guards, staff and visitors.

I dont see how you could be more certain. The facts of this case were heard over and over again, appeal after appeal. There was no new dna evidence to confirm his innocense.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? From what I heard, there was no DNA evidence to suggest guilt. The weapon was never found. Only two of the initial eyewitnesses haven't recanted their testimony, one has remained perfectly silent, and their is some evidence to suggest that the other was the actual murderer.

I frankly don't see how they could have LESS evidence.

It is a terrible thing that anyone is executed. That an innocent man is executed is a travisty, and a crime as great as the murder he (didn't) commit.

Top Bottom