Trump Serves McDonald's food at White House

:huh:

When you have a man and woman running for the same political position, what's the first thing reporters focus on? With the man, it's what he says. With the woman, it's what she wears.

I'm aware of that, I wasn't trying to suggest there wasn't a difference in how people talk about women's appearances vs. men's appearances, my point was more "if they were overly focused on a male politician's clothing as opposed to what he says like they are with women, or just being overly critical of his appearance rather than his personality, that would also be bad"

To me KFC tasted a lot better than McDonalds, but the latter is imo also far worse than (even) BurgerKing or similar. I must have only eaten McDonalds once or twice, while regularly was buying KFC, and BK relatively often, when in London.
If I were advising a person visiting America for the first time, I'd say eating at McDonalds was a can't miss, essential stop. You haven't fully experienced America if you haven't eaten at Mc'Donalds. Mickey D's is a flagship restaurant for our country... its still not for Thanksgiving... put it on my tombstone. :p

If that's an open invitation to OT in general, please remember that Canadian Thanksgiving is the 2nd Monday in October (some prefer to celebrate it on Sunday that weekend). :)
Its not :nope: I'm not the President of the United States afterall... ;) The invitation was to Farm Boy

However Valka, If you want to visit New England on the 2nd Monday in October, you are most certainly welcome to visit my house, let me know. FYI, That coincides with Columbus Day here and coincidentally, my birthday (sometimes the exact day, sometimes the day right before/after), so at least consider a present if you are coming... I appreciate beer, wine and spirits.
Green beans are not food. :nono:
Yes, they are... as proof I just ate some today.

If I were advising a person visiting America for the first time, I'd say eating at McDonalds was a can't miss, essential stop. You haven't fully experienced America if you haven't eaten at Mc'Donalds. Mickey D's is a flagship restaurant for our country... its still not for Thanksgiving... put it on my tombstone. :p

I imagine plenty of non-Americans have also eaten McDonald's in their home country

I found US McDonalds borderline inedible, while I like it just fine here, and liked some other US burger chains. Probably small differences in the beef, the oils, the bun bread etc. Like how the chocolate in different countries tastes different and wrong.

Mc’Donalds? No thanks, I perfer Wendy’s.

because your fee-fees got hurt
:hug: it's ok bro
Like I said, you having a bash at people for the sin of fast food is a bad argument
Not having a bash at them. You ever seen someone on the bus obese w swollen legs and clearly suffering? Trying to reduce that isn't a bash anymore than making smoking less accessible and social-normy is having a bash at smokers.
, because you're imposing an impossible standard
If you're addicted that's cool but many people don't give their money to fast food businesses, telling people it's impossible is enabling their suffering. Plenty of poor people draw great strength in sticking it to the man in any way they can and taking their well being into their own hands.

Difficult=/ impossible

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line between harm reduction and toxic sensitivity?

Like you're transferring anti-transphobia onto anti-making fun Donald Trump who sets himself up to be admired and then do damage through the power of his image. I can follow the steps. As @Synobun will say, DJT isn't reading most of the hand jokes, it's other people. It's me, whose opinion apparently doesn't matter even though I'm the only one who has said fits the bill. Nobody is deferring to my personal experience over their model. But I agree with Syn's general point.

But I want to know, at what point you would consider would be taking your idea and going too far?

And why not making fun of someone's ability to plan or need to is actually you being ableist? I don't think it is, but it's served up in a prepackaged box on a white house platter for me to think so, as none of the logic is missing for me to think you're indirectly insulting me for my ADHD.
I mean if you want to get meta you shouldn't make fun of anyone for any characteristics because we don't have free will and reprehensible people are a product of their own trauma reactions

For instance Trump. Trump is a greedy, selfish, businessman. He takes what he wants and more than he needs. Probably because deep inside he feels a undying scarcity.

Trump is also fat. He takes what he wants and more than he needs. Probably because deep inside he feels a undying scarcity...

When I see Trump will all that fast food I think of a little boy showing off his birthday party spread.

Anyway, the guy is a symptom, and I'm sure the endless analysis of him feeds his narcissism. To be loved and hated deeply is how he makes sure he is seen. Ironically, like any cult of personality character no one is actually seeing him.

He is riding the wave of confusion, fear and hate that exists rn. We can make fun of him all we like but that's a bit of a distraction from progress.

Margaret Mead would be sad to see people getting dopamine hits off of everyone focusing on outrage rather than being organizing change

Last edited:
I found US McDonalds borderline inedible, while I like it just fine here, and liked some other US burger chains. Probably small differences in the beef, the oils, the bun bread etc. Like how the chocolate in different countries tastes different and wrong.
US known for having very low food standards compared to EU. I'd imagine compared to Australia as well. Y'all must be doing many things right as life expectancy 3 years higher than UK which is in turn 3 years higher than US

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's just higher wages. The US and UK have pretty high income inequality so people in the lower percentiles of income in those two countries are worse off than people in lower percentiles in most other rich countries.

FcynnTnXkAE_9VW.jpg

Last edited:
This is not never true, but generally speaking, food purchased in the supermarket and prepared at home will have significantly less added sugar and salt and will be much healthier than something you get at a fast food place.
That maybe true where you are, but I suspect it's not so universally.

I cook, and I will admit the stuff I make is not healthy, especially when I first started. I've since tried to cut down on the salt, sugar and oil I use. But there's a reason why my cooking is that way. Where I grew up, food is tasty. When I first moved to where I am now, I thought the food here is quite bland. And the food here isn't even healthy itself. There's really too much salt, sugar and oil and too much frying in the food that people, even boomers who despise Western junk food, eat every day.

Unless people here are making salads or are actively on a diet, it's very likely that the food they prepare from ingredients bought at the market/supermarket are going to mimic the kind of (non-fast) food they find outside. Sure, there might be less preservatives (assuming they buy raw meat and vegetables), but how big a factor are those compared to your basic ingredients like salt, sugar and oil?

For a reference, here's an article on calories for McDonald's food and local food. I'm just comparing calories because that's the quickest thing I can find.

Article

Breakfast Example:
Chicken McMuffin = Calories: 390
Roti Prata (1 egg + 1 kosong) = Calories: 411
One of the meals that we often take in coffeeshops is roti prata. Take a look at this: the number of calories is more for roti prata than chicken muffin. Oh, so it’s not true after all?

Lunch Example:
McChicken Meal (comprises McChicken, Medium Fries and Medium Coke) = Calories: 984
Chicken Rice with Medium Coke = Calories: 831
Both are chicken meals. Granted that there are about one hundred more calories in a hawker chicken rice, but if you think about it, between these two, which one fill up your stomach more?

Dinner Example:
Filet-O-Fish Meal (comprises Filet-O-Fish, Medium Fries and Medium Coke) = Calories: 922
Fish Porridge with Medium Coke = Calories: 471
Both are fish dishes, and the difference is large. But wait… why the big difference now?

I’m not sure if you get the idea ; if not, let Captain Obvious spell it out for you: it’s not that McDonald’s, or any fastfood restaurant, that causes you to gain weight. It all boils down to one word: your choice. Because here’s another example of the same hawker food and different McDonald’s choices:

Sunrise Roll™ Chicken Ham = Calories: 241
Roti Prata (1 egg + 1 kosong) = Calories: 411

McChicken Meal (comprises McChicken, Corn Cup (3oz) and Medium Coke Light) = Calories: 451
Chicken Rice with Medium Coke = Calories: 831

Filet-O-Fish Meal (comprises Filet-O-Fish, Corn Cup (3oz) and Medium Coke Light) = Calories: 389
Fish Porridge with Medium Coke = Calories: 471

The article sadly doesn't use local drinks as substitute for Coke in the local food examples, but based on nutritional info from the Ministry of Health, local drinks can be comparable or even worse.

Not having a bash at them. You ever seen someone on the bus obese w swollen legs and clearly suffering? Trying to reduce that isn't a bash anymore than making smoking less accessible and social-normy is having a bash at smokers.
You, generally, have no idea what people are suffering from. We're not on the bus buddy, we're on the Internet.

Though I would accept video footage of you going up to a stranger on a bus and lecturing them about eating fast food. That'd be good for the thread, I reckon.
If you're addicted that's cool but many people don't give their money to fast food businesses, telling people it's impossible is enabling their suffering. Plenty of poor people draw great strength in sticking it to the man in any way they can and taking their well being into their own hands.
We're going back to "individual consumption" again. I didn't say it's impossible to advise a singular person on how to improve their diet, if they want the advice in the first place. I said it's impossible to enact this at scale, and eating fast food as an individual choice in of itself isn't a sin.

Trying to reduce that isn't a bash anymore than making smoking less accessible and social-normy is having a bash at smokers.
You do not think the measures to make it harder to smoke are not "having a bash at smokers"?

Reading this thread I suddenly recall watching Berksire annual shareholders' meeting, where Charlie Munger (aged 99) munched on chocolates and drank coke from the can the entire length of 4 hour meet. Along with his younger bud Buffett (92), who also drank coke minus the chocolates. Pictures like these give me hope there's plenty of fun ahead.

That maybe true where you are, but I suspect it's not so universally.

I cook, and I will admit the stuff I make is not healthy, especially when I first started. I've since tried to cut down on the salt, sugar and oil I use. But there's a reason why my cooking is that way. Where I grew up, food is tasty. When I first moved to where I am now, I thought the food here is quite bland. And the food here isn't even healthy itself. There's really too much salt, sugar and oil and too much frying in the food that people, even boomers who despise Western junk food, eat every day.

Unless people here are making salads or are actively on a diet, it's very likely that the food they prepare from ingredients bought at the market/supermarket are going to mimic the kind of (non-fast) food they find outside. Sure, there might be less preservatives (assuming they buy raw meat and vegetables), but how big a factor are those compared to your basic ingredients like salt, sugar and oil?

In terms of different health risks it's a huge factor. Preservatives commonly found in packaged bacon and other smokey-flavored meats, for example, are known carcinogens.

Another point is that if you're buying vegetables at all you're already ahead of most McDonald's food; they don't have a lot of vegetables, and yes I know they have salads but hardly anyone goes to McDonald's for a salad.

This also kinda segues into the article you posted; # of calories is hardly the only measure of how healthy a food is.

Top Bottom