Status
Not open for further replies.
Conquistador (Spain) - 16
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 29
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 31
Janissary (Ottomans) - 20
Jong (Indonesia) - 22
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 33 (32+1) Powerful, flexible, and you were already going to build them.
Toa (Maori) - 34
Varu (India) - 12 (15-3) Yeah they're good, but they're expensive and I often find I have better things to do at that point in the game as India, especially if Gandhi.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 29
Jong (Indonesia) - 23 (22+1) It's basically an ocean elevator.
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 33
Toa (Maori) - 31 (34-3) Another replacement for swordsman, that's why.
Varu (India) - 12
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 29 + 1 = 30 Gets you a nice start in empire building.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 31
Varu (India) - 12 - 3 = 8 After the nerf, Gandhi's India might not even prioritize building these.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 30
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 32 (31+1) A fantastic GG bonus, and a better unit to start Classical wars than the varu.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 31
Varu (India) - 6 (9-3) Nerfed so you can no longer surround and stack.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Conquistador (Spain) - 13 (16-3) - Time for a good musketman which is unique, to go. They are +10 with any attached religious unit and can convert cities if you have founded a religion, but maintenance, non upgrfade to, latness to build all make this a challenge in comparison.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 32
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 32 (31+1) I have often tried to play these right and they do work well albeit a touch weak against walls.The Legion is also super useful but what advantages do these have against a Legion?
+2 MP at sea <<< invading by sea is super fast and bypasses mountains and they already have the techs.
+5 combat strength at sea (really +10 with their -5 ability)
Their Pa (fort) will heal them on any turn they end their move on a pa <<<, missed by many
No maintenance cost (legions are 2 gold)
Adjacent units are -5
No resource requirement
NO REQUIREMENT FOR IRON @Lily_LancerThe maoris did not have iron. Toas's use Oligarchy, Varu do not. Have you even played them?.
Build a toa, place a pa... +8 era points - the pa is part of a toa.

4 less combat strength
10 production more than a legion
80 more science required for a beeline.

Note. I am not voting these to oust the wonderful legion. I truly think they are great and not too far in the tech tree. They are so flexible and their Pa value is underrated because of its additional heal ability. They can fight at sea and their -5 counts in sea battles... in fact a toa at sea lasts all game as the strength upgrades by era for embarked units. Stack with a galley and Biremes and Longships are no longer scary. Spam warriors is the safest start and upgrade them to non mainteance toas for use at land and sea. They are just great, so all round and keeping a couple is not a bad thing just for repair ability as well as defending home cities.
Varu (India) - 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Last edited:
Conquistador (Spain) - 13
Janissary -20
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 29=32-3
Varu (India) - 7=6+1
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Let's compare Varu with Toa.
Varu 40 strength, Toa 36 strength, both cost 120 and give adjacant enemy -5, Toa cost additional 5 iron.

Good things for Varu: +4 strength, raw strength applies to all city's defense.
Good things for Toa: +10 against anti-cav (Varu -10), can use battering ram/siege tower, can build Pa

In my experience, although there seems to be many specialities for Toa, they do not sum up to 4 raw strength. Yes they can use ram/tower, but when using them Toa are worse than swordsman since their -5 does not apply to cities. Yes they are good facing anti-cavs, but in GS nobody uses anti-cav as main army, except Greece and Zulu.

Furthermore, Toa cost 5 iron, though the amount is small, this means that you shall first detect iron, then find an iron mine, settle besides it, send a builder to mine it, wait for a few turns to let iron grow, finally you can start building Toa. So although Toa can be upgraded to, Toa still comes much later than Varu because of these time-costly necessary processes.

I think Varu is better than Toa. I love using Varus in MP games, the enemy are just smashed off when facing Varu.

Last edited:
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 31 (30 + 1) The perfect unit to kick start your early economy. The extra Production is more than negated by the amount you save on Builders.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4 (7 - 3) Disappointed they missed the chance to let upgrade to Cuirassier in GS. Then the ability nerf last patch didn't help. It's still slow and expensive. Next to go I believe.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 31
Janissary (Ottomans) - 17 (20-3) Trying to spread downvotes around a bit, and at this point where everything is good the later the UU, the worse the UU.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 34 (33+1) It may be plain and unexciting, but having access to a hyper-mobile, strong archer (which gains experience like nobody's business since you're Nubia) just turns the early game into easy mode.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 33 (32+1) Heal on wonder capture and free eurekas and inspirations on city captures plus great general points!
Janissary (Ottomans) - 17
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 31 (34-3) does half damage to cities and can't take them without support. Ranged promotion tree is weak compared to melee and heavy cavalry.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Conquistador (Spain) – 14 (13+1) This unit is unfortunately limited in when it has its advantage but if anything all units should have a more narrow window. Fun unit.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 33
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 28 (31-3) It is not just that it is plain and unexciting, but it is not necessarily more OP than other units.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 33

Conquistador (Spain) – 14
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 30 (33-3) I do not count Alexander's or Macedon's bonuses as part of this unit, as any other unit controlled by Macedon would also have those bonuses- they are not remotely unique to the unit. What's left are bonuses to GG generation and use, and an extra promotion for a 25% prod increase. It's not bad, at all, but we are at a more particular time than not bad.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 28
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34 (33+1) This unit can take PAs, Eagle Warriors, Spearman, and other ancient era units and win straight up pretty much every time. It is an unmatched force, and you can use it to assault enemy cities right away, beginning to build it on turn 1, and it's relatively cheap to build as well.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 30
Janissary (Ottomans) - 18 (17+1). An incredibly powerful unit that absolutely dominates when you research it. The population malus is annoying but if you are conquering, you are not going to be affected by it too much.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 25 (28-3) Might as well jump in on the hate voting. While a good unit, it cannot take cities, like the Eagle Warrior or Warcart. Additionally, it requires research instead of being available from the get-go.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Janissary (Ottomans) - 18
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 28 (25+3) No. Pitati is love. Use a scout to take cities. Don't be evil. Love, not hate.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Moderator Action: This +3 upvote for the Pitati should be disregarded. You can only upvote a unit by +1, and you must include a -3 downvote somewhere. -- Browd

Last edited by a moderator:
Skipping the post above. There was no downvote and a 3 upvote.

Janissary (Ottomans) - 15 = 18 - 3 it's cheap but I usually have all the units I need at this stage minus artillery. I don't need to buy 10 muskets and lose 10 pop in the process. I'd rather have a unit that does something like a conquistador.
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 26 = 25 +1 the 4th level promotion of range is far more valuable than the 4th level melee promotion. 2 shots means 2 dead units or walls getting taken down quick and you don't take damage. 2 melee attacks means melee kill themselves twice as fast on walls. All melee is better to take unwalled cities, but not after walls get put up.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 28 = 31 - 3 Unlike many others on this list, this unit has no extra movement. Movement is king.
Janissary (Ottomans) - 15
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 27 = 26 +1 It blows my mind that people undervalue ranged, especially ancient era archers with extra strength and added movement which allows them to move and attack on the same turn over rough terrain.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 28
Jong (Indonesia) - 23
Legion (Rome) - 26
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 27 +1 = 28. Use scouts to take cities. It's not a big deal.
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 4-3 = 1. I like the Varu but it's time to cull the weak.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 29 (28 +1) It's a melee unit so it has a bonus against AC units instead of suffering a penalty versus AC the war cart does. In a nutshell it's 28 strength is better than a war-cart's 30. So it doesn't have a bonus to movement, but most of the time there are plenty of hills around so units like the war cart move the same speed. It's better than a war-cart without even considering its capture builders ability.
Jong (Indonesia) - 20 (23-3) *see Varu below
Legion (Rome) - 26
Varu (India) - 1 I have a chance to eliminate a unit....,but Elvis needs more boats.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

It's hard for me to downvote anything on here now but I'll do my best!

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) - 30 (29 + 1) I don't think actually upvoted them yet so I think its about time I did for undoubtedly one of the most impressive units in the game!
Janissary (Ottomans) - 12 (15 - 3) Definitely a cool and strong unit, I just don't think it has quite as much going for it as most of the other options here.
Jong (Indonesia) - 20
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 1
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Janissaries come as part of Suleiman's ability, can we keep Suleiman in their bracket as every other leader unique has?

Conquistador (Spain) – 14-3=11 - Needs too many preparations for them to be more than more expensive musketmen. They can be strong, but they need you to prepare from the very beginning to make full use of their abilities and hope that your neighbours are heretics.
Janissary (Ottomans/Suleiman) - 12+1=13 - I prefer their raw strength + free promotion + half cost of a musketman to bonuses you have to greatly work for. The only preparation you need to do with them is to conquer a city or a few, which is something you'd most likely do anyway, especially as the Ottomans, and then your population will stay intact.
Jong (Indonesia) - 20
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 29
Varu (India) - 1
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Conquistador (Spain) – 11
Janissary (Ottomans) - 13
Jong (Indonesia) - 20
Legion (Rome) - 26
Toa (Maori) - 30 = 29 + 1. These guys are my pick as the best unit. I agree with the arguments made about ancient era units. Basically you aren't always guaranteed to start next to another civ. So by the time you produce your ancient era units, then march you army over to the other civs territory they can be obsolete. So I prefer classical and even medieval era units over ancient for offensive war. There is more time for each civ to expand and gradually get closer together, more time to make units, more time to move your units. Swordsman are already a pretty strong unit for killing other units. Swords + battering are usually good enough for taking cities. A swordsman that doesn't cost iron and gives a -5 debuff to adjacent enemy units is amazingly good.
Varu (India) - ELIMINATED = 1 - 3. They are good, very similar to the Toa. However you need to hardbuild these guys and they don't upgrade until tanks. Toas can be upgraded from warriors and remain relevant until the late medieval when they can be upgraded to Musketmen soon after.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom