[GS] Unique Unit Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 18
Legion (Rome) – 10
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 30
Toa (Maori) – 27 (30-3) It’s awesome, but for me not top 3 after the nerf a while back.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 28 (27+1) The War-Cart rush is just great fun and powerful. :)

I see now why this forum is called Civ FANATICS... ;-)

Legion (Rome) – 10
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 31 (30+1) --- My obligatory vote for the what is IMO the #1 unit. I liked the Hetairoi more before the the cav nerf but now it's kind of meh. Still better than legion & warcart though.
Toa (Maori) – 27
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25 (28-3) --- I like these @ marathon speed & normal difficulty levels. The closer I get to online speed & deity (or both...gasp) the less I like them.

Legion (Rome) – 7 (10-3) I have never been impressed by this unit. It just doesn't do it for me.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 32 (31+1) --- Absolutely a favorite of mine if not my favorite. So much fun playing with them.
Toa (Maori) – 27
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Legion (Rome) – 8 (7+1) A fantastic unit. Go in to attack a city, pillage all of the tiles and then instantly repair them all once the city is taken, no other unit can do this, getting lots of gold with effectively no downside
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 32
Toa (Maori) – 24 (27-3) All downvoting is extremely painful now. A simply fantastic unit, but compared to the others its the most basic, effectively just a stronger warrior while the others are more unique i feel
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 19=18+1
Legion (Rome) – 8
Toa (Maori) – 21=24-3 All downvoting is extremely painful now, except for this one.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 19
Legion (Rome) – 9 (8+1) Probably my favorite unit in the game, even though arguably is weaker than the other 3 that are starting units just for the fact that it needs resources.
Toa (Maori) – 18 (21-3) No other reason that I feel is the weakest of the remaining units, and the one that comes the latest.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Moderator Action: Edited to reflect overlooked vote -- Browd

Legion (Rome) – 6 -3 used one need again will I play as rome. They really disappoint me. I wanted a unit that was as powerful as the real Legion not this.:undecide:
Toa (Maori) – 19 (18 +1) I cannot speak highly enough for this unit. Thou not my fav is in the top 3. Killed 10 barbs of same or higher level in a few turns with little healing.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Legion (Rome) – 3 (6-3) The only remaining unit that you can miss out on because the wrong kind of rocks are in your empire. Doesn't matter how good a unit is if you can't build it.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 33 (32+1) I think it's the best unit in the game, I can't see myself upvoting anything else.

Toa (Maori) – 19
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Legion (Rome) – Eliminated because of the resource req and restrictions in deployment. Great unit of course
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 34 I think the Jong is the best unit in the game, since its gone my vote goes to the level 4 killing machines that can be built every 2 turns. Also, super flavor. Yum

Toa (Maori) – 19
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 35 (34+1) Seems like there's a hit been ordered on these guys by some people. They are versatile, amazing on defence and powerful on offence, mobile enough to react quickly and unlike the other ancient UUs their power scales well to higher difficulties.
Toa (Maori) – 16 (19-3) Coming to the home stretch and surely it's going to be the ancient UUs...
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 19 + 1 = 20 Enslaving your enemies' units is an incredible economic boost, useful not only for Domination.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 35
Toa (Maori) – 16 - 3 = 13 Weakest unit rn, should've gone before the Legion imo.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 17 (20-3) - according to the rules we should not consider its making builders. It’s slow speed means online speed deity the opposition has chariots by the time you reach them. I have played quite a few games to T50 and all 3 starting units are not guaranteed to do well by any means. Classical units by far are better in most cases, you have scouted the enemy and built infrastructure first. The AI is getting better at chariots early.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 36 (35+1) while they can rush then hit heavy rough or a bottleneck which effectively stops their attack you do not have to rush these. Their fast XP building means they shoot better than a raw xbow after 2 promotions and can incendiary. They are only +2 defence over an archer making them vulnerable but you can spam so many that you can expect to lose a few, after all you do not even need agoge and you do not need to hold off archery for cost effective slinger build with 2 x 50%. Their double shot xbow final promotion makes them battle winners at xbow but it is their 3MP that gives them such value, why build scouts. So with no desperate need to rush with a unit that just gets continually more powerful and the cheapness the build and lose many makes them much more useful in the long run. I get bored playing them and dislike them but want to vote fairly and once again, you can read the rules to say taking cities or earliness of units should not be considered, only the relative strength of the unit, which is stated in bold which then clarifies with
This also includes, range, cost of the units, availability and whether it can evolve from earlier units/to later units.
Toa (Maori) – 13
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Last edited:
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 14 = 17 - 3. Agree with Victoria, immediate war and conquest is needed to get leverage from this UU. I prefer first settling and invest in basic infrastructure and starting conquest in classical era. I also try to get early iron and swordsmen meaning the window for Eagle Warriors is quite small.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 37 = 36 + 1. You always need an army, for conquest, to get rid of barbs or to keep you safe from neighbours. Cheap, fast Pitatis works for all cases.
Toa (Maori) – 13
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 11 (14-3) Its still a warrior and it relies only on instant war. Against AI, sure. Against human player... I just don't know how this got so far. These are all really good units, but warrior-> swordsman line is just more situational because of their slow movement.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 38 (37+1) It's an archer. Its the strongest unit for a long time. Even better on faster speeds I always play on.
I think horseman->knight promotion line is just the best because their movement and fast problem solving capabilities, but as people don't seem to hold it in higher esteem (probably because marathon speed or such), Pitati Archer remains as the best unit of these.
Toa (Maori) – 13
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 25

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 11
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 38
Toa (Maori) – 10 = 13 - 3. Only reason I like Eagle Warrior a little more than these guys is the Eagle Warrior complements the Civ better imho. Sure Kupe can use these if he's limited on land due to whichever direction he happened to search out at the beginning, but it still seems too situational for me. And with ocean movement I can usually find habitable land. Mauri always feel like a cultural civ to me.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26 = 25 + 1 I haven't voted these guys yet. I don't feel like they are #1, but they are top 3. So they deserve one vote from me. The faster movement is what clinches it over the Eagle Warrior for me.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 8 = 11 - 3 Whatever insane notion that these can last "until the end of the game" is founded upon a fundamental misunderstanding of combat and corps/army mechanics. An Eagle Warrior army, if you were crazy enough to not upgrade your ancient era warriors, has a base combat strength of 45.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 39 = 38 + 1. Another +1 for the #1.
Toa (Maori) – 10
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26

Last edited:
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 5 (8-3) Always refreshing to see people making the same argument I made so long ago to vote these down. Just started a new game, shuffle map type of standard size. Started my own mini-continent with no other civs or CS around. As I've met other civs I've found that they are quite far away, and same for CS. It is possible to embark to get to them, but when I need to tech all the way to shipbuilding just to use my unique warriors that's a problem. And yes, this is a problem with all ancient era unit, but the EW is the only one that costs you extra to build! Finding it hard to buy into these things being useful through the whole game too - the amount of luck you'd need to have for your modern units to weaken say an infantry enough that your piddly EW army could enslave them makes that a pretty weak argument.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 39 Oh good, I can finally upvote something else for a change! :)
Toa (Maori) – 11 (10+1) I don't really buy the whole "ancient UUs are the best" mindset for the same reason said above. Not only are they strongly dependent on having good luck with the map generator, but they force your UU era points on you at a point in the game when you probably don't need era points as well. As Kupe, you are likely to get a lot of use out of Toa, because chances are high that you will land near someone else. I think his start also makes finding iron a lot more of a coin flip which makes resourceless swordsman a huge perk. The fact that these can sail across ocean tiles from the start means that you can pretty much always find something for them to conquer. Finally, you'll keep some of them around far after they are useful to debuff enemy troops.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26

I am FURIOS hetairois were eliminated, even before legion, because of... strategic resource. The most widely available one.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 2 (5-3) There are many games were capturing slaves is impossible and often I want to spam cheap unit to defend from barbs. EW is more expensive to build - that it that moment hen barb scout finds you, and the evil village starts to spam 1 unit per turn. I consider is better and more useful than Toa, but Toa is far more consistent.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40 (39+1) Clearly we have a winner. You use them always and always a lot, in opposite to other units.
Toa (Maori) – 11
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 3 (2 + 1) My last chance to show some love for this fantastic unit. Yes, it is a bit slow, costs a lot to produce, but...if you get have someone nearby to exploit, it will pay for itself many times. It suits it's civ well, and is thematically cool.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40
Toa (Maori) – 8 (11 - 3) It's almost time to go for the best new unit in this expansion. I'm finding it hard to criticize it for much, really. It arrives slightly later than the others (although soon enough), and it is a bit expensive. I guess you could also argue it doesn't fit its civ as perfectly as the others, but...well, it's still really good. Someone has to get the downwote, though.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 4 (3+1) Most interesting unit left imo, fun to play with, very flavorful
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40
Toa (Maori) – 8
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 23 (26-3) I've been voting these up until now because they're just so powerful that at least they can be strategically interesting, but they are clearly the most boring unit remaining. They can't even be countered by Anti-Cavalry; where's the fun in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom