US troops accused of destroying evidence of attack

Che Guava

The Juicy Revolutionary
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
5,955
Location
Hali-town,
If true, a bit disturbing...

US 'erased Afghan attack footage'


The Associated Press is to complain to the US military after journalists said US soldiers deleted footage of the aftermath of an attack in Afghanistan.

President Hamid Karzai said 10 people died when coalition forces opened fire on civilians after a suicide attack in eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday.

Journalists working for AP said US troops erased images of a vehicle in which three people had been shot dead.

The US military said it could not confirm its troops had seized any film.

'Co-ordinated attack'

The Americans say the fighting started when a convoy of marines was attacked by a suicide bomber and came under co-ordinated small-arms fire.

They say their soldiers returned fire, and acknowledge that at least eight Afghan civilians were killed, with a further 35 injured.


Thousands of local people took to the streets on Sunday to protest against what happened. The Afghan authorities have launched an investigation into the circumstances of the militant attack.

'You will face problems'

In a report from Kabul, the Associated Press (AP) said it "plans to lodge a protest with the American military".

A freelance photographer working for AP and a cameraman working for AP Television News say they arrived at the site about half an hour after the suicide bombing.

Thirty-five people were also injured during the incident

Witnesses at the scene said three civilians in the four-wheel drive vehicle had been killed by US forces fleeing the attack, the journalists said.

"When I went near the four-wheel drive, I saw the Americans taking pictures of the same car, so I started taking pictures," photographer Rahmat Gul said.

"Two soldiers with a translator came and said, 'Why are you taking pictures? You don't have permission.'"

Mr Gul said troops took his camera, deleted his photos and returned it to him.


His APTN colleague, who did not want to be named, said he was told he could film the scene - but when he did so a US soldier got very angry and deleted any footage that included the Americans.

Khanwali Kamran, a reporter for the Afghan channel Ariana Television, said the American soldiers also deleted his footage, AP reported.

"They warned me that if it is aired ... then, 'You will face problems,'" Mr Kamran was quoted by the news agency as saying.

Reporters Without Borders condemned the alleged actions of the US forces, saying they dealt with the media poorly.

"Why did the soldiers do it if they don't have anything to hide?" said Jean-Francois Julliard, a spokesman for the Paris-based group.

US military spokesman Lt Col David Accetta said he did not have any confirmed reports that coalition forces "have been involved in confiscating cameras or deleting images".

link

Even more than Iraq, I feel as if afghanistan is starting to look more like a vietnam-type situation. Not in so much as it is an impossible quagmire, but in that the distances and isolation of peacekeeping units makes supervision difficult, and might lead to more questionable situations like these...
 
Good to see they snatched the Camera. If there guilty, punish them, but that film could only lead to more violence.
 
See when terrorist shot from crowds and we fire back we're the bad guys. Why not blame the terrorists? If they came out from behind their human shields.......
 
See when terrorist shot from crowds and we fire back we're the bad guys. Why not blame the terrorists? If they came out from behind their human shields.......

I don't think anyone here has condemned the battlefield tactics of the US troops, just what they did afterwards. If everything was done by prpocedure, then there's no need to grab cameras and destroy evidence.

I have to agree with MobBoss (!!!): investigate, and if necessary, prosecute and punish. This is probably an isolated incident, but I'm still hoping that someone is investigating to see if supervision and oversight of activities in afghanistan is sufficient to ensure that we are catching incident like this when they happen.
 
See when terrorist shot from crowds and we fire back we're the bad guys. Why not blame the terrorists? If they came out from behind their human shields.......

Like in somarlia where US troops defended themselves but in the process ended up making enemies out of the civilian population.

EDIT: I dont think the US would open fire by accident ? Like Pat tillmans death when US forces opened fire on fellow soldiers whom tried desperately to get them to stop firing. That would be very very embarressing.
 
Like in somarlia where US troops defended themselves but in the process ended up making enemies out of the civilian population.
.

Actually the US soldiers didn't fire back in Somalia. The people firing at them were hiding behind women. Thats why Black hawk down was such a debacle.
 
Actually the US soldiers didn't fire back in Somalia. The people firing at them were hiding behind women. Thats why Black hawk down was such a debacle.

They didnt ?

1. Firstly Warfare in somalia is like that as documented by Somaia on 5 dollars a day.In which rivila factions would fight each other using crowds as shields pooping out and firing a few shot. EDIT: As noted for some strange reason whenever there is firing civilians would move towards the fighting instead of away from the fighting.

2. Us soldiers attempted to dispurse the crowds by using flash bangs and firing over there heads. Which would only work for a short while then they would come back again.

3. In the end US did open fire on civilians, civilian spotters, and finally when things broke apart opening fire on anything that moved. The little cobras eventually provided blanket air support strafing large mobs and any armed viechles.
 
I'm still wondering why these particular troops would feel the need to erase photographs if they wree confident that they had performed thier dutyies by the book...
 
See when terrorist shot from crowds and we fire back we're the bad guys. Why not blame the terrorists? If they came out from behind their human shields.......
This is not the issue discussed in the article.

MobBoss is right, too soon to fling accusations or draw conclusions and especially write insinuating articles when the investigations haven't been finished or even started.
 
Back
Top Bottom