• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Can anyone answer a short question.
Is there anything about this mod that could make it unstabile in multyplayer Hotseat games?
Is there any option or BUG option that I should turn off to ensure stability?

Revolutions will not work in multiplayer. Shame, because thats actually the one thing that makes this mod feel 100 percent different and better than BTS.

But if I turn these off int he game meny it should work fine?

The Known bug list, found in the first post describing the mod is pretty clear on this:
Known Bugs:

• Critical:
    • None known

• Major:
    • Unfortunately the current version, 0.9.8 seems to utterly break multiplayer. If multiplayer is important for you, then it is recommended you revert to the prior 0.9.6c build. Even in 0.9.6 some users report bugs when playing LoR in multiplayer; it especially seems to be unstable if choose religions and revolutions are on. So it is recommended you do not play MP with these options on.
      MP is being addressed though, in the next update MP should be stable and working correctly. Getting MP working is in fact the last step before LoR will be considered a final version, and be out of beta development. So this has become a top priority at this time. It will take a while to adress though, expect working MP mode in a month or so.

• Minor:
    • Not really a bug, but I could really use some translations for non english proficient players. If you're willing to translate please visit this mod's project forum and post in the Text and Translations thread.

MP being broken is caused by the BUG mod, specifically the BULL part of it (the human player attacking any unit instantly caused the game to go out of sync). Fortunatly this bug was recently found and squashed the other day; according to the developers of the BUG mod, BUG will be updated sometime this weekend. Those of us on the RevDCM team will use this upcoming official release of BUG to update RevDCM, and incorporate some of glider's multiplayer fixes into RevDCM and release a new official version: RevDCM 2.7. After that's done I'll update LoR to version 0.9.8d with the new RevDCM gamecore (with some tweaks to keep it version 0.9.8 save game compatible); so MP should be working for LoR in about a week. Glider hasn't totally fixed some issues with MP and revolutions though, so most likely with this upcoming 0.9.8d version it will be recommended to turn of Revolutions in MP games, but otherwise it should be playable. So expect an update and a multiplayer playable version in about a week.

Thanks, now I know not to download anything until than.
Eagerly awaiting.

You can still download version 0.9.8c, it's very stable, been up for a month and no issues found, except a couple rare and user specific issues (usually related to the user's graphics card); so it's good to go for single player games. The 0.9.8d update will be save game compatible with all 0.9.8 versions as well, and I'll release a patch for udpating, which should be a pretty small file. Updating LoR is always pretty easy, at most all one needs to do is download the new version and install, the installer takes care of everything, including removing the old version. I've set up LoR to be pretty much dummy proof; being easy to use for civ players that don't know squat about computers is part of the design philosphy of the mod.

Any thoughts on how we can help Glider find the errors causing MP issues with the revolutions aspect of the Mod? I guess I should mention I have no skill with programming, modding, etc! But I'd be happy to test, play, or help in any other way!

I hope you guys are able to solve that part soon, as a friend and I can't wait to play the MOD in MP.

I enjoy MP in civ a lot, the game pace is completely different and I never know what to expect. For those of you holding off on LOR because of multiplayer issues, you may be surprised to find that the revolutions mod is about the closest thing you can get to recreating the randomness that you get from MP in single player. Civs are incredibly dynamic with this, and you can never rest on your laurels about the safety of the empire withing your borders because if you aren't keeping your people happy for whatever reason, you will deal with a revolt.

Since I've played LOR I will NEVER play base BTS again in single player. I suggest that everyone holding out just give it a shot, even if single player isn't your preference.

I took "multiplayer is broken" as, "multiplayer crashes"

I think both artillery and battleships' ranged bombardment are underpowered. I mean, aircraft always cause some damage, but I've had 15 or more artillery units inflict only negligible damage to enemy units. The idea that you have to attack with two or three or more "suicidal" artillery units is just crazy. One more thing. When I actually attack with suicidal artillery, I usually inflict collateral damage to 3 units. But when AI artillery attacks, it typically causes damage to 5-6 units!

That, and this mod removed a lot of the UUs from wolfhanze. Those were one of the core reasons I liked his mod... :(

The design philosophy of this mod is to simulate a commercially viable expansion pack. Wolfshanze added a few too many units to his mod, many of which were useless, also the multiple UUs per civilization deviates from the way Firaxis designed the UU system. In 0.9.9 I will be removing all secondary UUs to bring LoR more in line with how Civ4 has been designed, and I think that's most users prefer. If you want multiple UUs and the extra and cluttered units from the steam era in the Wolfshanze mod, play Wolfshanze, or WolfRevolution. This isn't that mod; also since I also maintain WolfRevolution, which has the 2 things you're complaining about anyway, your post is kind of absurd and a bit whiny.

Sorry about that. I thought you stoped updating WolfRev after you got to making this.

I saw this and just figured:
Also I personally recommend Legends of Revolution instead of WolfRev, as I don't develop this mod. All I do with this is merge the Wolfshanze mod with RevolutionDCM. LoR is the mod I actually work on.

Also, the forum has been going extremely slow lately is it just me?

PS. Does that mean that once Rev becomes MP stable WolfRev will receave a MP capable update too?

After four days of silence in the thread and the LoR forums, seeing a complaint about something I don't think is at all relevant (Do you really miss having the Knight renamed for the Chinese, Japanese, etc; especially at the cost of it cluttering up the Unit List in the civilopedia that much?), well I just found that annoying. As far as WolfRevolution and LoR goes, LoR is simply a better mod, it's more coherent and better designed, it flows much better, so I flately recommend it to users over WolfRev when asked; also WolfRev is no longer being developed, it is stagnant. That said I still maintain it; I respect the fact there are die hard Wolfshanze mod fans out there, so I make sure to keep WolfRev up to date with the current version of RevolutionDCM. I suppose the fact I take the time to do this is also why I was irritated by your post.

Well, come to think of it idealy each nation would have a different name and model for each unit complete with pedia entries about the history of their version of said unit... lol
I might make that one day.

But again, sorry.
It was not meant as a complaint and I did not know that you still maintain WolfRev.

Hey Phungus, I wanna know what you think about the artillery ranged bombardment weakness. I remember the first time I played Civ 4 (the vanilla version) I was shocked by the fact that artillery had no ranged bombardment. Then came DCM and brought it back; it had been available in Civ 3. However, artillery is so underpowered it's almost useless; unless, of course, you want to use them (including cannons and other ranged weapons) as suicidal attack units. I guess we've all heard about suicidal attacks; but these are usually infantry attacking in human wave assaults. The game emulates this very well. When invaded, I usually launch vigorous counterattacks with what I have available, usually cavalry and infantry; and losses are expected and indeed happen. But, artillery? Unless we're talking about self-propelled, armoured assault guns such as the Sturmgeschutz or the Soviet SU-152, artillery, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't actually come into direct contact with the enemy, unless it's under attack, of course.

Now, I know this is just a game, that doesn't strictly imitate reality. So I can live with suicidal artillery. But it would be nice to have some adjustment to artillery. How do you compare LoR's artillery with Civ 3's artillery?

Well the whole suicidal collateral damage issue is one caused by the Civ4 game developer's way back when they released civ4. I'm happy to see they are totally rebuilding the combat mechanics for in civ5, as the combat in civ has always been ******ed, since day one. But anyway I can't fix that with the civ4 engine, just too many issues involved, I have to work within the confines of the civ4 engine, and the AI here; it simply wouldn't be possible to re write civ4's combat mechanics.

As far as ranged bombard goes, it does seem to miss a little too much. This really seems like something that should be addressed in the RevDCM gamecore though, I remember I was asking glider about this a while ago, but got focused on other things. Your best bet on getting this changed would be to post in the RevDCM thread and see if glider1 has any advice on how to improve the accuracy, specifically where in the source code this is handled, I'd follow up if you're able to get some info out of him. I just don't feel like pulling teeth trying to do it, as I've looked into this before, and was unable to find it in the source myself last time I looked.

Actually I think I might have found where in the code I could tweak things to up the hit %. Not sure exactly but it's a start, I'll post in the RevDCM thread about it.

huh? the accuracy is in an xml tag in the unitinfos.xml that is very easily adjustable for both archer bombard and ranged bombard.

And it doesn't reflect the numbers involved at all. You basically are just shooting in the dark when setting values in the XML for DCM accuracy, see my post in the RevDCM thread for more details. This is something that used to bother me a bit, but got distracted about it until nahuiocelotl brought it back up. Again though the DCM ranged bombard mechanics discussion is more appropriate for the RevDCM forum, as how it works is handled in the RevDCM core and thus any changes made or relevant information applies to all mods that use the RevDCM core, not just LoR.

Top Bottom