• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Video Games at libraries

cubsfan6506

Got u
I recently found out that my local library carries video games. Not only does it carry video games, it carries an extensive supply of them, including the new madden and halo. I found this very strange, but i'm not really for or against. Does your library carry video games? Also if they check out pc games could that be breaking the terms of use in any way?

I recently found out that my local library carries video games. Not only does it carry video games, it carries an extensive supply of them, including the new madden and halo. I found this very strange, but i'm not really for or against. Does your library carry video games? Also if they check out pc games could that be breaking the terms of use in any way?
Nope. But it does have a very good selection of books on Byzantium, political theory, lots of CDs with good classical music (Dvorak!), and plenty of DVD's with VHS's being free for 7 days. When I had the flu that was nice. I watched Hunt for Red October around 5 times.

Yes it does, and a huge selction too.

Its a shame I don't own any good consoles...

Most libraries even have games on their computers unfortunately. You can't even use the damn free internet at my library because most of the terminals are always taken by loser kids playing WOW and Final Fantasy from opening till close.

I don't really see how carrying video games is any different than carrying movies or books honestly, so I'm all for it.

My library carries video games as well and no I don't have a problem with it.

Most libraries even have games on their computers unfortunately. You can't even use the damn free internet at my library because most of the terminals are always taken by loser kids playing WOW and Final Fantasy from opening till close.

At my library you get one, 45 minute, appointment a day. It sucks when you have something important to do, but it does prevent the above problem.

I always feel libraries should be an establishment for the sum of all human knowledge and art/creativity, that used to be only books, but now thats books, cd, dvd, the internet, comics/graphic novels, and of course games.

I remember the Columbus Library carrying computer games/programs when I was a kid, but I think they might have actually stopped now (DRM concerns??). Every so often I see a library with PC games, but never one with video games.

I support that development.

Since the prices of books around here have skyrocketed, it's probably cheaper to just buy video games instead.

I always feel libraries should be an establishment for the sum of all human knowledge and art/creativity, that used to be only books, but now thats books, cd, dvd, the internet, comics/graphic novels, and of course games.

Video Games ARE art.

Also if they check out pc games could that be breaking the terms of use in any way?
Technically speaking, I doubt there is actually anything enforcable (remember, just because the ToS, or any contract, says something doesn't mean it is enforceable) as it could be considered a series of changes of possession, but computer games open up difficulties with the ease of copying them in comparison to console games. Modern DRM also creates issues.

Two problems:

1. You need to own a relatively expensive console or computer to play most of these games, defeating the purpose of a public library supposedly accessible to everyone. Furthermore, newer games require a registration code to install, putting up another barrier in addition to the fact that consoles and PCs cycle out every ten years. This can be mitigated by having a special computer/console in the library, which will be destroyed within days. Great job, taxpayers!

2. This one's more subjective. I can go through a book, film, or CD and feel that I have experienced enough to digest it. The reason that many games require more time is simply because the developers want you to keep playing. It's artificial time played out for the purposes of advertising, something that we're already seeing with Steam and Civ 5. Games with higher replay value won't give as much bang for the buck when on a two-week loan. It's a horizontal experience that repeats game mechanics as opposed to a vertical, in-depth one that doesn't take as much time. There's a hook there that isn't quite as prevalent in other media.

Libraries need to be open to plenty of media, but they also need to be, well, libraries, not just a free Blockbuster or Netflix. There's a reason older stuff is in there. We need to have content that's available to everyone, not just those who own the devices necessary to view content. Otherwise, unused newer items are just going to take up space that could be used for better things, no matter how good or artistic that item is.

2. This one's more subjective. Games with higher replay value won't give as much bang for the buck when on a two-week loan. Maybe I don't want to play Baldur's Gate II 24/7 just so I don't have a late fee. At least with a book I don't need to set aside half an hour to install the thing (until Amazon has its way, that is).
Same goes for rentals. I wouldn't consider ths a very good point.

Read the rest of the post, dude. Libraries aren't private rental companies.

with everything going to steam now days will this be viable much longer?

Top Bottom