1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox Populi Wonders Expanded

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by Infixo, Dec 7, 2017.

?

Would you like to play with more Wonders in Vox Populi?

1. Yes, but make all Wonders more unique and not easily obtainable

73 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. Yes, catch them all, the more the better

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. No, Vox Populi has enough Wonders already

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. hokath

hokath King

Well done for undertaking this, looks great.
    I've just started with it, so I can't give much feedback, but I'll get back to you when I've finished a few games.

Something that does immediately strike me is the Nazca +2 food on plains. That is almost certainly too much imho.

2. Infixo

Infixo Deity

3. Drakul

Drakul Warlord

What about to give +1 food,+1 faith and 1 gold to farms with adjecency bonus and +3 additional culture to the wonder when archeology is researched?

4. ThirstQuencher

ThirstQuencher Chieftain

The food and gold is fine, although these yields would stack with things already in base VP, the faith does not make any sense and could someone like India too OP. Culture is quite an important yield, so +3 culture feels too strong, maybe +1 culture and +1gold would be an acceptable buff to wonders

5. Drakul

Drakul Warlord

Faith makes sense to the Nazsca Lines since they where build in honor of some deities in the Ancient Nazsca culture xd

6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

The purpose of Nazca lines is unknown. There are many theories. Some give it mystical purpose - hence some faith, and some relate them to water and irrigation - hence food. Also, to build it you need both Hill and Plains. I wanted also to exclude River, but had some issues with CP new flags IsNoWater and IsNoRiver. Notice that it will only help with food, and if you really end up in area with just plain Plains around you - you'll need it. This is very situational Wonder, same as Karnak, for which you need Flood Plains.

7. Tekamthi

Tekamthi Prince

just a small bug: malwiya minaret text says it must be on hill, but i can build it on flat. I think its working as intended, just the in-game text is wrong, based on the description in the OP...

Really love this mod, thanks! must-have for VP 43 civs imo.

8. Drakul

Drakul Warlord

Yeah but 2 food is quite OP considering that plains also yield hammers. With such a wonder plains have output of food like flood plain farms and also add production...What about the idea Infixo to add some wonders that need workable natural wonders ?

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Yes, the description is incorrect. Malwiya just needs Stone Works in the City. Thx!

10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Well, good point. Certainly Farms and Flood Plains should have higher food output. But then +1 Food is too weak. Need little something to compensate, maybe +1 culture in the city and +1 GE point.

World Wonder that needs Natural Wonder? That would be super rare... Examples?

11. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Chieftain

I would really like to make it harder to snowball on wonders.. Is there any chance the mod "One wonder per city per era" mod could be used in combination?

12. Infixo

Infixo Deity

13. Tekamthi

Tekamthi Prince

I've only just begun with this mod, but ive noticed a city or two getting carried away on wonders a little more often, too... maybe you could just boost the production penalties proportionally? ie if this adds 2x the number of wonders, production penalties could be 2x as well? i'm not sure where these are implemented though

14. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@Tekamthi It adds 12 wonders, actually. The rest are exclusives to existing choices. And the game has already about ~60 wonders. So, the increase would be like 20%, don’t think it would make a big change.
    There is always 1 or 2 civs that get crazy about wonders. I wanted to spread them more among different cities, not limit how many a civ can built. It would be helpful if you could check what wonders those cities built, to see what conditions were met.
    Or even attach a save file, so i could take a look too.

Tekamthi likes this.
  15. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

Did you intend for the Trafalgar Square to come so early? It's an entire era before the next Freedom wonder (Statue of Liberty).

16. Infixo

Infixo Deity

There was another Wonder for Freedom that was closer in time, but all 3 would end up being from US. Somebody convinced me for more diversity and Trafalgar was the next best choice. It comes earlier, but you still need 17 policies to built it and Freedom unlocked, ofc.
    Anyway, I find Statue of Liberty very OP, I am not sure if Trafalgar and Hollywood can be a competition. And I wanted them to be quite strong. I'd like to hear an opinion on that.

17. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

I have to admit that as someone who enjoys to RP civs, a Japanese wonder being Progress when Authority suits their gameplay/history more hurts my soul. :(

Nice mod though! :D

18. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Itsukushima is a pure religious place. Just curious, what would be the reason to use it for Authority, except being Japanese?

19. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Oh nothing I just like building wonders that belong to that civilization as in base VP they, in general, are complementary to their respective civ's respective flavors.

I wouldn't say Japan mixes well with Progress for much of their history. If I were to pick one of the three ancient trees, Authority is the one that not only makes sense in terms of flavor (very martial/feudal history) but also in terms of gameplay.

What inspired you to make this a wonder for Progress, as opposed to Authority or Fealty? If I were to guess, it's because religion in Japan has always been tangential to their daily life (at least relative to the abrahamic religions) right?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  20. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I never considered Wonder nationality as a factor in deciding which one to use for a specific purpose. I did however at some point wanted to add more wonders from other places than US or Europe, for diversity. What mattered was a) Wonder's original characteristics (I wanted to stay close, if possible, to author's original ideas), b) its timing, c) well, it's purpose/features in RL if possible and finally d) not to repeat existing Wonders.
    Authority was given Forge of Damascus, never hesitated about that one. And in Medieval there were not many choices, actually. Wartburg, Mont Saint Michele, Chartres, Holy Monastery of Trinity, Krak de Chevaliers. Mainy christianity and castle-related stuff (i added later Prophet's Mosque, but it went for Holy City). Itsukushima was unique, focused on Sea, also very different from Forbidden Palace.
    Edit. And Chartres went to Tradition to support tall play.

Asterix Rage and Ziad like this.