War with Spaniards

This is highly unlikely. They have GNP of 20 as of this current turn. I expect they barely teched Construction before go broke.
No need to guess, since we should be able to verify this from Foreign Advisor, techs screen. If either player has alpha, the screen should display techs that our rivals can research and can't trade.

No need to guess, since we should be able to verify this from Foreign Advisor, techs screen. If either player has alpha, the screen should display techs that our rivals can research and can't trade.

Very good point.:goodjob:

The Spanish offensive:

Spoiler :

They moved 1, putting them on the FP between Lana and Hansa. They've delayed their earliest possible attack on a city to T113, but they are now forking our two cities. They can also start pillaging our beautiful hamlets, though for whatever reason they declined (forgot) to pillage with their 2-movers' extra move this turn.

They've added two impis to their advance stack. Right behind that, they've added an axe, 2 cats and 2 impis. Those impis can catch up to the advance stack next turn. And trailing behind they've got a pair of cats that are late to the party.

Here's our defences:

Spoiler :

It's confusing, I know, but we have our defenders spread out right now. I'm not even going to comment on our possible moves, I'll let our military minds do that for us.

A breakdown of the numbers:

Front line consists of 2 axes (12k) + 4 cats (20k) + 1 chariot (4k) + 3 impi (12k) = 48k

Second line consists of 1 axe (6k) + 2 cats (10k) + 2 impi (8k) = 24k

Third line consists of 2 cats = 10k

The total attacking force contains 82k soldier points. It'll be very satisfying to see the graphs after we wipe that out.

Spaniards whipped 2 pop (cap from size 7 down to size 5), leaving the with 23 total pop for 11k soldiers

They have Ikhandas in every city for 15k

They have at least 28k from tech

That totals 136k known soldier points. Looking at APT mod, it looks like they just got a small bump since last turn, so maybe they're between 185k-190k total. This means we've got about 50k unaccounted for. That includes garrison and exploring warriors / impi. Also the one-movers (2 cats + 1 Axe for 16k) that were last seen in Nobambo and haven't quite been able to make it to our front lines yet.

Note that they decided not to pillage the cottages with their two-movers. That indicates that they believe that they can capture some cities. In fact, it seems that they believe that they can capture Lana during the course of war. However, my gut feeling tells me that they will go for Hansa first.

I think they will go for Lana first (bet a beer on it Aivoturso?). But either way the cow spot is going to be an important rally point for our forces until they commit towards a city.

The double movers present a danger we need to address. I think we should:

1. upgrade Igloodude to an axe
2. whip the spear in Lana
3. move .Shane. to Lana
4. move Arthedain to Hansa
5. move Whomp to the cow spot
6. move all the other troops that are in the open to the cow spot.

This will provide just enough combat power (with the right unit mix) to defend the two cities (and our cow stack) from a double move attack next turn. If we are really worried about Hansa we can keep Whomp there.

I honestly don't think they will attack with the double movers next turn though. It would be a very gutsy move and I doubt they have visibility on our cities. Their plan seems to be movement towards Lana on a route that initially feints towards Hansa to draw our units off (we all thought Hansa was their initial target). Next turn they will position their stack NW of Lana to block reinforcements to Lana from Hansa. The following turn they will either a.) seize Lana if the garrison is weak enough or b.) bombard the defenses with their 2 lead cats and reassess.

To defeat them we need to maul their lead stack once they are NW of Lana. This should be pretty straight forward to do with the units on the cow spot. If needed an axe or two can sally from Lana.

cav scout, that plan looks excellent.

Next turn they can attack Lana with 3 impi and a chariot. I don't know that we have enough gold to upgrade Igloo but we should have defenders enough with .Shane., col and the whipped Spear.

If they go for Hansa with 2-movers, they could bring 2 more impi to join the attack, so I would leave Whomp in place. 3 axes and an archer against 5 impi and a chariot isn't guaranteed, but the odds are definitely in our favor. It might be a good idea to go ahead and whip the walls for the extra defense. Good thing we're on a hill.

If they have 3 workers in the fog, they could road the desert tile and bring their entire army up to Hansa next turn. That would be 8 cats, 5 impi, 3 axes and 1 chariot. That's a little scarier, but with walls in place, catapults of our own in play, and all our defenders piled into the city, we should be able to hold easily, or maybe even attack out ourselves.

If they keep moving towards Lana, we'll need to attack them from the Cow tile. That stack would be 5 impi, 4 cats, 2 axes and a chariot

Thanks Yossarian, that was just my first stab at it. It has some risk but I think it is the best option right now. Other possibilities are to split our forces and turtle in Lana and Hansa or evacuate Lana and continue to build our combat power before attacking their stack.

Good job pointing out that we don't have enough gold for upgrading Igloodude to an axe... perhaps we upgrade him to a spear instead and change the Lana build to an axe and whip it with a penalty? If we are going to trash their army in the field we will need every unit we can get for decisive finishing attacks (i'd prefer to soften their stack with more than two cats but that is all we have right now). And yes, whipping the wall in Hansa is a given.

EDIT: Another option would be to concentrate our stack on the tile NW of Lana this turn to block their river crossing. This stack would work like a turning obstacle and send them towards Hansa. Hansa would then need to be able to hold out for one turn with 3 axes, 2 chariots and an archer behind walls as our single move units would be too far away.

Lana and Hansa are both on hills. I believe that means their stack has visibility into both.

Lana and Hansa are both on hills. I believe that means their stack has visibility into both.

Ah yes, of course. They don't have visibility on all the tiles in the vicinity though so they will probably still be cautious. We at least need to make it so that any attack with double movers would have long odds. If we do that I think they will twice about it.

First we need to make few strategic decisions and step on them in our future decision making and tactic planning.

Fist is to decide we wont give them Lana in any case. In my opinion Lana is way too good and way too important for us city to be given to the Spaniards. Hansa we can recapture or rebuild. It is 1 mere settler worth. Lana on the other hand have granary, have library, have religion, have culture, have bigger population which can be turned in soldiers, gives us Gold for happiness, provides us nice income, blocks access to the core of our empire, etc, etc. We wont give them Lana.

Second is to decide the main Spanish attack is headed North, so we move our South garrison north to reinforce Lana. We have 4 axes and a chariot in Abhi. We can whip 2 units in Abhi before they can attack us there. With the first postulate (we wont give them Lana) in mind, it is easy to decide we can risk Abhi if this will give us better chance in Lana. With roads building we can have all 5 units in Lana on t113 which can turns out very important.

Does this sounds correct to you guys?

One thing I am happy to report is that with walls and garrison of 2 axes and an archer Hansa will hold against all 5 impis and a chariot. I made a simulation and tested in about 10 times and the Indians were always victorious.

Top Bottom