Welcome to Rise of Mankind

I was playing 2.71 on terra and AI civs were building cities in the new world in classical times. I was wondering what files I need to change to prevent this from happening? Idk if its a unit promotion for naval units or what??

Well, my dad is basically technology illiterate. He has a laptop, but basically uses Email, Word, and Excel, with occasion web browsing for research... Never tries any games.

My mom's played video games since Pong, but prefers fantasy games (like Zelda), so she naturally liked FFH2. Yes, having a technology-aware parent makes life a lot more fun.

Hah!! I AM a "mom" that games, we DO exist! And I love this mod... my poor grown kids don't really have time to play, but you can't keep me away. :)

Having tech aware kids makes life more fun.... :lol:

This looks awesome :D

It has your mod mods on it though..... just thought 'hmm I don't those techs' :(

Going to finish a clean 2.8 game then have a trawl through the mods mods....:)

I discovered this mod yesterday and I'm super-stoked to play. I'm having some issues though so maybe someone can help?

Two things:
1) If I launch from the 'private map' folder the game starts normally, I found the city and then the mod crashes every time I press ENTER/end turn. (I've tried the preset 31 civs, preset 23 civs standard and 50 europe civs)

2) After (1) didn't work out, I made a 'public maps' folder with a shortcut that points to this mod (because I thought the issue may have been the individual world builder file, and regular CIV doesn't have this mod as an option under 'load mod'). The new shortcut launches to the main mod screen as expected, I can see the civilopedia et al. and select all the options for a custom game. Once the settings are the way I want them, I press LAUNCH, the progress bar completes about 15% and hangs.

I discovered this mod yesterday and I'm super-stoked to play. I'm having some issues though so maybe someone can help?

Two things:
1) If I launch from the 'private map' folder the game starts normally, I found the city and then the mod crashes every time I press ENTER/end turn. (I've tried the preset 31 civs, preset 23 civs standard and 50 europe civs)

2) After (1) didn't work out, I made a 'public maps' folder with a shortcut that points to this mod (because I thought the issue may have been the individual world builder file, and regular CIV doesn't have this mod as an option under 'load mod'). The new shortcut launches to the main mod screen as expected, I can see the civilopedia et al. and select all the options for a custom game. Once the settings are the way I want them, I press LAUNCH, the progress bar completes about 15% and hangs.

What mapscripts are you using? Only mapscripts beginning in the ROM_ prefix work.

What mapscripts are you using? Only mapscripts beginning in the ROM_ prefix work.

I'm not sure how to tell, but I didn't move any of the files or change the file structure; I unpacked the .zip file right into the BTS mod folder. All the map scripts are in the private maps folder - is that where they need to be?

On extraction I recieved the following error: ...//RiseOfMankind2.8Full.rar: CRC failed in Rise of Mankind\Assets\art\movies\wonders\LaborUnion.bik. The file is corrupt

But that seems unrelated to the problem I'm experiencing. After doing 1) and 2) from the previous post, I made sure I had the most recent version, so I downloaded and extracted RoM2.8Hotfix3, tried 1) and 2) again but that didn't work either.

I'm not sure how to tell, but I didn't move any of the files or change the file structure; I unpacked the .zip file right into the BTS mod folder. All the map scripts are in the private maps folder - is that where they need to be?

On extraction I recieved the following error: ...//RiseOfMankind2.8Full.rar: CRC failed in Rise of Mankind\Assets\art\movies\wonders\LaborUnion.bik. The file is corrupt

But that seems unrelated to the problem I'm experiencing. After doing 1) and 2) from the previous post, I made sure I had the most recent version, so I downloaded and extracted RoM2.8Hotfix3, tried 1) and 2) again but that didn't work either.

When you set up a map, are you what map type are you using, Arboria, Contrients, Fractal? Just make sure they all have ROM_ prefix, and they should work.

Otherwise, your problem is something else.

When you set up a map, are you what map type are you using, Arboria, Contrients, Fractal? Just make sure they all have ROM_ prefix, and they should work.

Otherwise, your problem is something else.
Hey Afforess,
I know what you mean now. All of the maps in the list have RoM_ prefix, with the exception of two. I used one of them (RoM_terra), but the same problem - 2) above - persists: the game hangs at around 15% initialized and I have to reboot my computer.

Hey Afforess,
I know what you mean now. All of the maps in the list have RoM_ prefix, with the exception of two. I used one of them (RoM_terra), but the same problem - 2) above - persists: the game hangs at around 15% initialized and I have to reboot my computer.

Try RoM-Continents, I know that one works for sure. If it hangs... well, we have a different problem to deal with.

Try RoM-Continents, I know that one works for sure. If it hangs... well, we have a different problem to deal with.
OK, so we're making progress:
I selected the RoM_continents and sucessfully launched the game (and completed the first turn)!
For some reason however, the pop-up did not open this time (the one with the very detailed options for the map)

Custom Options (this attempt):
-unchecked all of the 'original' options
-unchecked all of the 'secondary mods' (the barbarian world, techdiffusion et al.)/new options;
-lowered the number of players from the default 25 to 17;
-selected random civ instead of Bismarck

Previously selected options:
Bismarck
32 Civs
RoM_Terra (I also tried Full_of_Resources_3_00)
(x) Raging Barbarians
(x) No tech Brokering
(x) Permanent Alliances
(x) Require Complete Kills
(x) Barbarian World
(x) Revolution Mod
(x) BarbarianCiv Mod
(x) TechDiffusion Mod
(x) Dynamic Civ Names Mod
(x) Start as minor civs

As far as troubleshooting goes, it will be a matter of 'turning on' each option until it crashes again.

I am trying to get RoM 2.91 working with my version of BtS, which is the Mac version via Steam. I can put the mod folder in the BtS MODS directory, and it shows up ingame. But when I choose RoM and the game reboots, it hangs on loading xml files, and I get a bunch of errors. If I click past these, I can get to the game, but with no interface.

I read the manual about the python file, and opened it and followed the directions. However, this did not seem to work. Has anyone using a similar setup managed to get RoM working? Please advise.

I am trying to get RoM 2.91 working with my version of BtS, which is the Mac version via Steam. I can put the mod folder in the BtS MODS directory, and it shows up ingame. But when I choose RoM and the game reboots, it hangs on loading xml files, and I get a bunch of errors. If I click past these, I can get to the game, but with no interface.

I read the manual about the python file, and opened it and followed the directions. However, this did not seem to work. Has anyone using a similar setup managed to get RoM working? Please advise.

I hear Mac don't play mods with custom dll file in it. I hear that you can use some sort of program that play PC stuff, forgot the name. Or just buy PC and play with it.

I hear Mac don't play mods with custom dll file in it. I hear that you can use some sort of program that play PC stuff, forgot the name. Or just buy PC and play with it.

What's funny is that the CvAltRoot.py file has instructions in it that appear to be for Mac users. But I can't find anything anywhere on the net about getting RoM to work on a Mac, which is actually somewhat shocking. And yeah, I have a PC, and also a Win7 VM on the Mac. The point is to get it working natively on my MacBook, as it is portable and my PC is not, and playing games via a VM always sucks. So that's not a real solution for me. Anyone here know anything about a ton of .xml errors? This seems like a directory issue to me.

What's funny is that the CvAltRoot.py file has instructions in it that appear to be for Mac users. But I can't find anything anywhere on the net about getting RoM to work on a Mac, which is actually somewhat shocking. And yeah, I have a PC, and also a Win7 VM on the Mac. The point is to get it working natively on my MacBook, as it is portable and my PC is not, and playing games via a VM always sucks. So that's not a real solution for me. Anyone here know anything about a ton of .xml errors? This seems like a directory issue to me.

Point is: You CAN'T get RoM 2.91 to work on Mac, period. You need either VM (that sucks to you :)) or use PC you have. No debating or discussing because other people already researched it to death :deadhorse:. Unfortunate truth :).

Point is: You CAN'T get RoM 2.91 to work on Mac, period. You need either VM (that sucks to you :)) or use PC you have. No debating or discussing because other people already researched it to death :deadhorse:. Unfortunate truth :).

Well that is good to know. I have had a hard time finding any word on it. I guess I'd like to know why it can't work, and if there is any interest in getting it to work. I'm a longtime PC user, and am pretty familiar with UNIX variants as well as Mac. So I don't really hold to the line that games should be PC only. I think that's a crock. And I'm not some Apple fanboy either. I just have a MacBook, and I really like it. And games are becoming more and more common for OS X, especially now that Steam is cross-platform. And RoM *does* kind of work. I mean it loads. It just doesn't have any interface (i.e. no text, can't bring up menus). But the units are there, build menus, etc. So whatever is preventing it from working seems like it could be fixed. Again, I'd like to know what exactly make it not work, what is so different from the PC that it doesn't. Where is the research? Has the original mod author commented on why it's not Mac-compatible? I guess I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth, dead or not, and cannot find links to the info I'm searching for.

Top Bottom