Whacha Cookin' Tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbecued Chicken, Roasted New Potatoes, Sauteed Green Beans with Bacon and Red Peppers.

Couscous made with tricolor couscous, chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, carrots and onions. Almost as easy as Lucky Charms.

I'm gonna just fry some ground beef and put it in tortillas with soy sauce and microwave it. Simple and awesome.

Simple tonight. Shells, broccoli and pine nuts with olive oil along with some spinach/romaine/black and green olives/tomatoes/feta.

Beef stew. Spicy w/ lots of paprika, some tobasco and a dash of worcestershire sauce, pinch of chilli. Shed loads of red wine as per usual. Mushies and vegies, stock and funki porcini. Couple of tins of toms.

Winter warming w/ Bread and salad.

The pork shoulder recipe was a success. So successful, in fact, that I got two more of the roasts, as they were $1/lb. Stuck them in the freezer for future use.

I used a good portion of the leftover meat and the bone to make soup the other night.

Ingredients:

~1 gallon water, plus more as needed
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups dried white beans
2 cups dried split peas
9 strips of bacon, chopped
1 pork shoulder bone
~1.5 lb pork shoulder, cut roughly into 1-inch cubes or smaller
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Sort through and rinse the beans and peas
2. Chop up the vegetables and the bacon
3. Put the bone and vegetables in a large stockpot. Add salt and pepper (10-15 whole peppercorns is what I used) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 1-2 hours. Skim surface of scum and fat as needed.
4. Remove bone and cut away as much usable meat as possible. Discard the bone, then put the meat, bacon, beans, and peas in the pot; add more water if the stock reduced significantly in step 3. Boil uncovered or partially covered for roughly an hour and a half, until the beans are soft.

This is possibly the best-tasting soup I've ever made.

For lunch I made pancakes (real ones) with whipped cream and queen jam. I bought pre-made food for diner I'm afraid.

I served up some shrimp cocktail the other night. Manually removed their entrails and boiled them. Really good with Crowe cocktail sauce.

I'm cooking dinner late tonight. I have unthawed some chickenbreasts and need some inspiration!

What other stuff do I have? Well.. milk, cheese, onions, garlic, breadcrumbs (no eggs though), chinese noodles, rice, all sorts of herbs and spices, teriyaki sauce, mayo, mustard, white wine, spaghetti noodles, pasta sauce, canned mushroom soup, frank's red hot sauce, soy sauce, tabasco sauce, butter

I have a half-assed plan right now that involves making stir-fry with some of this stuff, but I'd be up for something a bit more creative. I'm googling some recipes right now - but the problem is usually that I end up not having something in a recipe..

So throw some recipes at me, if you're bored! I have a microwave, stove, slow cooker, toaster, and george forman grill

butter + garlic + herbs + wine + chicken, tosss w/ spaghetti, would taste pretty good

Get some cream (or use the mushroom soup) and make chicken in white wine sauce. Best with a bit of bacon as well though.

Fry chicken/onions/garlic/bacon until chicken isn't pink, add glass or 2 white wine. Reduce until half the liquid has gone. Add cream, simmer for 20 mins or so. Serve with rice or spuds. Green beans or broccoli go well with this as well.

EDIT: And throw George Foreman grill in the bin ;)

Depends on the size of the cup ;)

A wine glass is 275mil I think. (That's 1/2 a pint).

EDIT: Probably best not putting a pint of wine in though, just use 1 glass ;)

Never cooked with wine??? Mein Gott!

What do you put in spaghetti bolgonese/chilli con carne to make it taste twice as good? Red wine of course!

Pork cooked in Masala wine (which tastes like arse anyway) is good too. You can do veal instead if you like eating liittle baby moo cows. Add some sherry to stir fry with noodles as well.

Coq au vin is good too.

Other good booze cooking: Crepes with flaming brandy. Beer in batter is a must (for fish & chips/those veg things you deep fry that you have in chinese restaurants). Beer is good for Welsh Rarebit too (posh name for cheese on toast).

I cooked some quinoa & added tomato sauce, coconut milk, salt & my spice blend (ginger, curry, turmeric, cumin, garlic, and cayenne; not any special mix, just came up with it on the spot).

It came really, really good though buckwheat comes even better with that particular sauce blend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom