What’s next? More DLCs or first expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they remove palace building from this game?

Last edited:
Given all the DLC was part of the DDE so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if we get one more DLC before the Expansion, conversely I also would not be surprised if this is it for the base game DLC

There should be a Map Pack DLC.

Since the DDE DLCs have been released fully, it would be great to release the Map Pack DLC without complaints from DDE owners.

I'm a minority here, but I really dislike Expansion model:
1. The last expansion comes close to the end of the game lifecycle, so it's never properly patched and balanced.
2. Maintaining different game version stretches developer resources thin, again affecting patching and balancing.

I'd prefer the developers to continue with what we've seen in the latest update:
1. New civs and leaders delivered with DLC.
2. New gameplay delivered in relatively small chunks through patches for the main game. This makes them easier to test and balance, also no different game versions to maintain.

1. The last expansion comes close to the end of the game lifecycle, so it's never properly patched and balanced.
2. Maintaining different game version stretches developer resources thin, again affecting patching and balancing.

I'd prefer the developers to continue with what we've seen in the latest update:
2. New gameplay delivered in relatively small chunks through patches for the main game. This makes them easier to test and balance, also no different game versions to maintain.

Now that I've tasted the Paradox model, with small buyable content and cosmetic expansions accompanied by major system changes and improvements for free, I tend to agree.

Now that I've tasted the Paradox model, with small buyable content and cosmetic expansions accompanied by major system changes and improvements for free, I tend to agree.
There's the Frontier model primarily used for Planet Coaster: release many major content patches, with select paid DLC (primarily for licensed content (though one real world roller coaster is included for free), as well as the Spooky Pack)

I like the numerical alphabet theory of GH file in steam, meaning it's actually "78" the next content.

Why did they remove palace building from this game?

(I assume you mean building a palace in a city to make it your new capital?)

Because there is no use for it; in Civ I-III the degree of corruption in a city depended on how far away from your palace it was, in Civ IV the maintenance cost depended on how far away from your palace it was, in Civ V the gold from "connected to capital" depended on how far away your palace was (I think?), but in Civ VI your capital doesn't matter for anything, except having to hold every original capital to win a domination victory.

Civ V the gold from "connected to capital" depended on how far away your palace was (I think?)

In Civ V, the gold depended on how high the population of the connected city was. However, with the gold/turn cost for maintaining the road meant that a city that was closer to the capital would produce a higher net gold.

(I assume you mean building a palace in a city to make it your new capital?)

Because there is no use for it; in Civ I-III the degree of corruption in a city depended on how far away from your palace it was, in Civ IV the maintenance cost depended on how far away from your palace it was, in Civ V the gold from "connected to capital" depended on how far away your palace was (I think?), but in Civ VI your capital doesn't matter for anything, except having to hold every original capital to win a domination victory.

Thanks. I think I miss some old features including building a palace.

In Civ V, the gold depended on how high the population of the connected city was. However, with the gold/turn cost for maintaining the road meant that a city that was closer to the capital would produce a higher net gold.

Ah, that was it. Still, distance matters. In VI, it doesn't.

Also I'd love to be able to decorate my palace again.

Honestly, I think one or two more DLC will come before an expansion, for two reasons :
- first, for economic reasons. I believe they will try to get some money from people now satisfied with the DDE of the game.
- second, Firaxis seems to be trying to cover more parts of the world, not counting Macedon that seems to have been a capricious choice : Poland for Europe, Australia for Oceania, Khmer/Indonesia for Asia, Nubia for Africa and Persia for the Middle-east. And what part of the world has not been covered yet ? You guessed it, America. If they distinguish north and south America, I believe the next DLC's will be the Inca for South America, and either Canada or a Native american civ (probably the latter since Australia is already out) for north America.

While they got the first 4 DLC in 1-2 months each, these last two took 3 months each. I they probably won't go back to the short cycle, since much of the initial work on the first 4 was done concurrently with vanilla. So I doubt anything will be out before Christmas. The earliest a potential DLC might come would be late January.

They could probably hammer out a DLC in a couple of months if it was just a new leader or two. I imagine that's a quicker process than building a new Civ from the ground up.

I prefer the expansion model because it forces the developer to focus their resources on overhauling aspects of the game that are truly lacking. Without an expansion there's nothing to guarantee drastic new features like the World Congress or late game ideologies ever materialize. Instead the developers might grow complacent and just stick with a slow drip of new Civs.

Last edited:
Given all the DLC was part of the DDE so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if we get one more DLC before the Expansion, conversely I also would not be surprised if this is it for the base game DLC

Soooo... in other words, whatever happens, you wont be surprised? :mischief:

Question.....
If I purchased the DDE now, would it include all civilizations added to date?

I’m expecting an alt leader or two before an expansion (if that’s the business model Firaxis/2K decide to take). Not that I’m overly enthusiastic about new leaders. The only ones I really want are more appropriate picks for France, Germany, India, and Egypt.

Question.....
If I purchased the DDE now, would it include all civilizations added to date?
It includes all DLC released until now, yes. So Poland, Australia, Macedon & Persia, Nubia, and Khmer & Indonesia.

Any paid DLC put out beyond this point won’t be included however.

Not that I’m overly enthusiastic about new leaders. The only ones I really want are more appropriate picks for France, Germany, India, and Egypt.

I'm of a similar mind. The only must-have leaders for me are George Washington (complete with a Minutemen UU), Bismark, Ramesses, and Napolean, but I'm fine waiting until diplomacy is fleshed out and a World Congress (and hopefully diplomatic victory) are implemented so the devs can consider diplomacy when giving them UAs. I woudn't mind others, but those are the ones I feel are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom